↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Windshield help!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Winning

United States 
Windshield help!
Hello!

new to the forum, i have a 20 defender P400- the windshield cracked mid Dec, and I’ve had a new one on order since then.

the dealer is saying that one wont ship until end of months and it will be a month to get it.

I’ve raised the issue with Land Rover USA, they took the report and did nothing (over 2 weeks no response) .....

The crack is so bad now (18 inches) that ill get a ticket for it and between that and the rattle on the A pillar (dealer wont fix that until the windshield is done) it just getting to where its a PITA to deal with...

the defender is gonna get parked if i can’t find a solution- anyone know where one is available?
Post #878554 15th Jan 2021 7:09am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Is the windshield covered by insurance? If it is can you put pressure on the insurer to get it sorted. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #878711 15th Jan 2021 10:10pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I’ve been waiting on a tractor part, John Deere...due to brexit it’s expected March, that’s from USA ... maybe it’s the same?

They rebuilt the broken warranty part instead Mike
Post #878734 15th Jan 2021 11:21pm
Winning

United States 
They said they are on back order due to COVID in the UK.....

No US stock anywhere??
Post #879241 18th Jan 2021 6:44am
Winning

United States 
AndrewS wrote:
Is the windshield covered by insurance? If it is can you put pressure on the insurer to get it sorted.

No coverage like that in the California, just my normal deductible if i want a claim
Post #879242 18th Jan 2021 6:45am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
How can Covid in the UK be used as an excuse?

It sounds a little like " the dog ate my homework ".

Wasn't it the reason why buying from a global brand like JLR was a differentiator when looking at vehicles?

ChasingOurTrunks wrote:
Imagine losing your window glass in Botswana and having to get a new screen shipped from North America or Europe on your own. That sounds a lot trickier than stopping into a dealer and saying “new glass, please”.

And getting the reply - they're on back order and should be available some time in the next two months?

https://www.defender2.net/forum/posting.ph...p;p=853406
Post #879246 18th Jan 2021 7:37am
Tim in Scotland

My 110’s windscreen is made by Pilkington, seems they have been having problems with the pandemic
https://www.business-live.co.uk/manufactur...e-18175169 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #879274 18th Jan 2021 10:38am
Supacat

That's an article from April 2020 when "The firm said while all key operation sites in Europe and the Americas are operating, many are "preparing for a restart in early May - in line with the planned restart of vehicle manufacturers' production".

So not seeing an issue there in January 2021?

If vehicles are not being held on the production line for want of glass, and someone isn't touring main dealer sites smashing windscreens then I don't see why an existing customer in the US has to wait that long for a part.

It's penny pinching in the logistics and that has to be down to JLR.

Interesting to the OP that Pilkington state on their website:

"Pilkington Automotive's aftermarket products can reach the end user by one of two main routes; the VMs' dealer networks or Pilkington Automotive's own distribution chains, supplying the retail fitter. The relative importance of these routes varies between markets, from 100% independent in the US to around 50% in Europe. Pilkington Automotive itself has well developed aftermarket distribution and wholesale networks throughout Europe, Japan and North America. "

https://www.pilkington.com/en/global/autom...eplacement

Maybe the dealer is the last person you should be asking?
Post #879282 18th Jan 2021 11:18am
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
ALL automotive businesses cut inventory and minimised all costs back in Q1/Q2 2020 to try and maximise cashflow to survive.

For sure there is ripples in the supply chain even now...

Business came back quicker and harder than predicted.

The cut inventory hurt the supply chain the tiers and the OEM.

There is steel shortages even now in Europe for some grades.

I know we also struggle with polymers too.

I do not know about the glass industry... but suspect there is same issue.

The pandemic caused panic in the industry and it will take a while for that to work itself back out.

There is a lot of uncertainty in the scheduling and many parts being purchased above agreed capacity from suppliers...
Post #879283 18th Jan 2021 11:28am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
There was a story in the news this morning that Audi are suspending production of some models due to a shortage of computer chips. Their production had been scaled back due to Covid and they now can't meet demand, so it sounds like a wider problem than just glass.. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #879288 18th Jan 2021 12:01pm
Supacat

In Q1 JLR's Loss before tax (PBT) was down only £18 million year-on-year and then in Q2 PBT was £65 million, which then converted into profit after tax (PAT) of £117 million (incl. £52 million tax credit). This was a better financial position than the previous year.

Q2 Free cash flow was positive £463 million and £506 million better than Q2 last year.

So it's pretty hard to see corona virus contributing to JLR having to take any drastic action to reducing spares holding in key markets as a necessity to survive.

Any issues they have are internal. It's just too easy to blame all issues on CV19.

If there's an issue in the glass industry, I'd expect that to hit in Nitra first.
Post #879290 18th Jan 2021 12:07pm
Tim in Scotland

Are New Defender/ Disco5 parts distributed from the U.K. or Nitra or even shipped from U.K. to Nitra as then delays in transportation won’t be helping if they are going by LCL/ groupage rather than a truck loaded with one consignment? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #879292 18th Jan 2021 12:11pm
Supacat

Re: Windshield help!
Winning wrote:
anyone know where one is available?

Having somewhat hijacked your thread...maybe a direct contact with:

Jim Harrington, Port Operations and Vehicle Logistics Manager for Jaguar Land Rover North America LLC. He's responsible for the vehicle processing centre (VPC) in Brunswick, Georgia which has an attached 6,000 square foot warehouse alongside the JLR processing facility that will be used for storage of JLR parts;

or as it's operated by Wallenius Wilhelmsen:

Matt Henderson, general manager, WW Solutions, Brunswick

Could let you know if there is actually a single windscreen in the country? Computers have been know to be wrong (both ways)!

And just seen this:

Doug DeMuro (@DougDeMuro) Tweeted:
Defender update: cracked windshield replaced, sunroof fixed- turned out to be a connector that came loose. And the Defender made a friend today! https://t.co/dwzrCQnaUM https://twitter.com/DougDeMuro/status/1351277546780823553?s=20

So maybe he got the last one in the country, or your dealer isn't trying hard enough...

Or as his account is tagged by JLR HQ PR, maybe he gets access to the VIP spare parts warehouse...
Post #879329 18th Jan 2021 3:53pm
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
Re: Windshield help!
Winning wrote:
Hello!

new to the forum, i have a 20 defender P400- the windshield cracked mid Dec, and I’ve had a new one on order since then.

the dealer is saying that one wont ship until end of months and it will be a month to get it.

I’ve raised the issue with Land Rover USA, they took the report and did nothing (over 2 weeks no response) .....

The crack is so bad now (18 inches) that ill get a ticket for it and between that and the rattle on the A pillar (dealer wont fix that until the windshield is done) it just getting to where its a PITA to deal with...

the defender is gonna get parked if i can’t find a solution- anyone know where one is available?

Mine cracked this morning, is yours being changed under warranty ? Dave
Post #880588 24th Jan 2021 4:05pm
Supacat

Various contact names/numbers to go at here:

Click image to enlarge

Land Rover Parts Technical Helpline:
888-577-8577 Options > 1 > 1 or LRSODFS@jaguarlandrover.com

Land Rover Parts Customer Service Team:
888-577-8577 Options > 1 > 2 or land_rover_na.call.center@neovialogistics.com

For questions regarding the content of this publication, please contact:

David Woods, Land Rover Parts Coordinator 201-818-8345 dwoods4@jaguarlandrover.com
Campbell Mac Arthur Parts Operations Manager 201-818-8004 cmacarth@jaguarlandrover.com
Post #884440 10th Feb 2021 3:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1