↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > New & Used Prices Tracker ~ What's the Cheapest Online?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

familymad wrote:
We need a Defender 3 forum?

Why, Puma was not Defender2, it was a re-engine of the old Land Rover............. Whistle ducks to avoid incoming flack Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #855193 9th Sep 2020 3:48pm
defender_enthusiast

United Kingdom 
Hi All,

not sure if what I'm seeing is a good deal, but would be keen to hear your thoughts on it.

I'm currently looking at an already built 110 240D First edition that a dealer has in their showroom.

Its Pangea green, with the only additional extra - Secure Tracker Pro.

Been offered an OTR price of just under £56K whereas I can see it listed for just under £60k.

Click image to enlarge

Keen to hear if people think I should jump at it - or given the new engine etc (250D) wait a while for that?
Post #857399 22nd Sep 2020 12:06pm
Tim in Scotland

If you want one now then go for it, OK it will soon be obsolete when the 6 cylinder engines start coming on line toward the end of the year but the D240 motor is quite sufficient for most people although more torque from the 6 cylinder engine will be useful especially if you do a bit of towing. If you can get a deal on what is basically a run out model then take it, one question I would ask is when did you build that on the configurator because today I tried to build First Edition and the only option I got for engines was the 6 cylinder engine. Suggests to me that that car is unsold dealer stock that they want to shift and do you know if it is unregistered or pre-registered because if it’s on a 69 plate then you will only basically be getting a discount of the depreciation that is resulting from it being a low/zero miles car on a 69 plate. If it’s unregistered then fine you’ll get it in a 70 plate. You might find that with a bit of haggling or asking for some dealer fit options you can get a better price too for taking a car the dealership needs to sell before the deliveries of the 6 cylinder start.......... if taking finance try to get zero percent APR too to take it off their hands. In my experience of 2800 miles now with the D240 engine there is nothing wrong with it. Sure the 6 pit will be smoother and maybe a tiny bit quieter but will it have less tax / VED and lower fuel consumption?
BTW that OTR price shown isn’t discounted - with dealer fit extras and the Secure Pro I paid a little over £61000 so you aren’t saving much if you read the bottom line total on your screen shot. The options on mine are deployable tow hook, spare wheel cover, front bash plate, rubber boot mat prior to delivery and since delivery I’ve added roof rails and crossbars, rear recovery eyes and 5x All Terrain GoodYear Duratrac tyres mounted on the wheels it was supplied with. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 22nd Sep 2020 1:21pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #857405 22nd Sep 2020 1:09pm
landiepete

Belgium 
Unfortunatey all the new 6-pots (at least the ones shown in our configurators) are Mild Hybrids, which according to HMR are NOT a hybrid, and is thus fiscally punished. I imagine it does also up maintenance cost and adds weight. And more components generally do not bode well for reliability, especially where LR electronics are concerned;

The only PHEV is the 2L 4pot gas, which has 400+ HP, but with its 75 gm/km Co2 is punished as an 'equivalent pure gasoline engine with the same performance', which means you're going to be driven a metro but you'll be taxed for a supercharged.

Incidentally you anglo-folk, why is a hybrid a hybrid but vinyl vinyl ???
Post #857407 22nd Sep 2020 1:20pm
defender_enthusiast

United Kingdom 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
If you want one now then go for it, OK it will soon be obsolete when the 6 cylinder engines start coming on line toward the end of the year but the D240 motor is quite sufficient for most people although more torque from the 6 cylinder engine will be useful especially if you do a bit of towing. If you can get a deal on what is basically a run out model then take it, one question I would ask is when did you build that on the configurator because today I tried to build First Edition and the only option I got for engines was the 6 cylinder engine. Suggests to me that that car is unsold dealer stock that they want to shift and do you know if it is unregistered or pre-registered because if it’s on a 69 plate then you will only basically be getting a discount of the depreciation that is resulting from it being a low/zero miles car on a 69 plate. If it’s unregistered then fine you’ll get it in a 70 plate. You might find that with a bit of haggling or asking for some dealer fit options you can get a better price too for taking a car the dealership needs to sell before the deliveries of the 6 cylinder start.......... if taking finance try to get zero percent APR too to take it off their hands. In my experience of 2800 miles now with the D240 engine there is nothing wrong with it. Sure the 6 pit will be smoother and maybe a tiny bit quieter but will it have less tax / VED and lower fuel consumption?
BTW that OTR price shown isn’t discounted - with dealer fit extras and the Secure Pro I paid a little over £61000 so you aren’t saving much if you read the bottom line total on your screen shot

Thanks for the advice Tim.

The car is unregistered and sitting in the showroom so would get registered as a 70 plate.

Correct the screenshot was taken from a link that the dealer provided me representing the model. the OTR price in the screenshot is without discounts. However, I've haggled the dealer and they've come down to just under 56.

I am indeed taking out finance, however I'm not sure if they will get anywhere near close to zero percent...! would love them to though!
Post #857408 22nd Sep 2020 1:23pm
Tim in Scotland

Now in the UK only full EV’s get any reduction in taxation ‘ money back from the government for buying a low emissions vehicle. The incentive for buying a PHEV was removed in July 2018 about 3 weeks after I took delivery of the Countryman PHEV - I got a £2500 cash back but despite that the government then reassessed the car for emissions and annual tax went from £40pa to £140pa because too many business users were avoiding paying tax by buying PHEVs then never charging them up and using the EV mode so were actually polluting more by lugging around 150kg of unused batteries. Even with it’s small electric only range I saved a fortune in fuelling it up because away from home here in Scotland I also had access to the network of free public chargers and that car only took 3 hours to fully recharge its minute 7.2kW battery (new Countrymen PHEVS now have a 10kW battery but still only take 3 hours for a full recharge). Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #857409 22nd Sep 2020 1:29pm
Tim in Scotland

defender_enthusiast wrote:

Thanks for the advice Tim.

The car is unregistered and sitting in the showroom so would get registered as a 70 plate.

Correct the screenshot was taken from a link that the dealer provided me representing the model. the OTR price in the screenshot is without discounts. However, I've haggled the dealer and they've come down to just under 56.

I am indeed taking out finance, however I'm not sure if they will get anywhere near close to zero percent...! would love them to though!

Then bite their arm off if OTR to you on an unregistered car is £56k, just work out how much less interest you’ll be paying over 3 or 5 years too, it will be a fair bit on just shy of £4000k less borrowing. One trap to watch - allowed annual miles on the PCP - often LR quotes for 8000 miles a year before penalties get applied but I have seen some offers with only 6000 miles annual miles and the penalties for exceeding it are steep. I always upped it 10,000 miles even if I didn’t use them the slight increase in payments outweighed the cost of exceeding the allowed annual miles.
Might also be worth waiting a couple of more days before asking for a bit more off - it’s getting close to the end of the month and they may be in for end of month bonuses if they exceed their sales targets and your business gets them over the number of sales Whistle Whistle Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #857410 22nd Sep 2020 1:35pm
defender_enthusiast

United Kingdom 
Yeh, I brought it up to 10k miles a year for PCP.

APR is very high at 5.9% not sure I can get them 0% from that...

Ok so it seems like I should just jump at it! 😊
Post #857413 22nd Sep 2020 1:44pm
Tim in Scotland

What APR would your bank ask for if you took out a car buying loan from them? LR finance is normally Black Horse rebranded - you might not get lower because it’s still a new model and dealers won’t discount on anything for them. Zero percent to take an obsolete model off their hands! Yes it’s cheeky but do they want to shift a car they’ve already offered a discount on or do they want it to sit in their compound for another couple of months? You can but ask/ try! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #857419 22nd Sep 2020 2:06pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Good to see the start of the discounts. Prob best deal I have seen so far and if the spec works for you then grab it. 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #857433 22nd Sep 2020 3:21pm
LEZ

United Kingdom 
There are Dealer discounts when you click the tab in the configurator, the one I used for my Dealer was just over £1K a few days ago.
Post #857449 22nd Sep 2020 4:23pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
£46,540 ~ any better?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010074726336

Click image to enlarge
Post #861074 12th Oct 2020 8:10am
landiepete

Belgium 
I'm probably reiterating something (I may have) already posted, but be careful with these.

Everything with the 'first batch' of engines is still 6D-temp, and not full 6D. This may lead to limitations in your area, as it seems every zip code across Europe is now 'inventing' their own LEZ requirements. In my area, for instance 6D-temp is already laregly banned for 2017. But nothing is keeping local authorities from coming up with even more silly Censored limitations.
For those of you keeping your vehicles for a long time this may prove problematic where access to your home iis concerned (there are many local cases of people with Euro 4 cars and lower in my area that can no longer access their home because they live 50 yards inside the LEZ zones, and automatic cameras are watching every zone access point). For those of you selling your vehicles after 4 or 5 years this is a potential financial nightmare. Inciderntally, 6D-temps are not registerable after Jan 1 2021 (caveat : Germany for instance has issued and exception rule so 6D-temp vehicles built before Sept 30 2020 will still be registerable for the better part of 2021. Check this for your country, YMMV.) It will however do nothing for you come resale time.

As I am in the market for a new vehicle I would consider buying a 6D-temp, but it would have to be offered to me at substantial discount. Read 25% or more. Anyhting less the risk (for me) outweighs the benefit.
Post #861079 12th Oct 2020 8:38am
Eldoclear

Scotland 
We managed to secure a 10% discount on our new defender with this spec below:-

Defender 240 HSE
Indus Silver
Wheel-arch extensions/protection
Side-steps
Secure tracker pro
Black exterior pack
Cross car beam in White Powder Coat Brushed finish
Off Road Pack
Wi-Fi Enabled with data plan
Privacy glass

It was an "off the shelf" stock car the dealer had in the showroom

It is the now obsolete engine obviously, but it is more than suitable for our needs as we won't be towing anything. We were quoted up to 19 weeks for a factory order
Post #861172 12th Oct 2020 4:53pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Thumbs Up thanks for sharing.

Have list prices dropped?

Click image to enlarge
Post #861312 13th Oct 2020 9:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>