↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Clutch Pedal - Can someone explain?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
KiwiNCFC

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Arles Blue
Clutch Pedal - Can someone explain?
Hi guys!

Just had a new clutch fitted and I'm getting a metallic rattle on idle when the pedal is lifted up. It goes when its pushed down. When I dropped it into the garage I asked them to check and adjust the clutch pedal ( didn't want it to come across as telling them how to suck eggs but wasn't sure if setting the pedal after putting in a clutch was a normal procedure?)

Anyway, I've spoken to the manufacturer or the clutch and they say the clutch pedal needs adjusting. When I dropped it off the pedal was set at 140mm from floor as it states in the workshop manual. When I picked it up it was higher almost in line with the brake pedal so around 170/180mm .

Can someone please explain to me as I'm struggling to visualize this...

If I lowered the pedal back to standard 140mm how does this affect how the friction plates in the clutch are coming together? Will the plates be over together. Does clutch pedal adjustment affect how much the clutch fork travels? I'm not that clued up on clutches so I hope someone more knowledgeable can advise!

The manufacturer said they think something is just rubbing occasionally in there somewhere and immediately ruled out the release bearing (new) so they advised clutch pedal adjustment and altering the idle screw ?

300tdi r380.

P.s. I know about the information from Ashcroft stating it's a common thing on a r380 to rattle in idle but this sound a bit louder than it should and only started when a new clutch was fitted. It's done 1000 miles now so bedded in and still makes the noise but not every time it's very sporadic!

Many thanks!!!! 🙂
Post #851374 22nd Aug 2020 8:29am
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
IIRC the release bearing shouldn't actually touch the pressure plate when the pedal is 'up'.

Therefore any noise is either the centre plate / pressure plate or more likely something loose nearby, a heat shield, loose bolt, exhaust etc.

Only really way will be up on a ramp with it running and listening carefully.

HTH Keith
Post #851381 22nd Aug 2020 9:04am
zippo87

Scotland 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
I have always had a little rattle on idle clutch up when cold, goes when pressed, and once warm. The original never got any worse even after it destroyed itself, and same with the LOF I have now - it doesn’t answer your question I appreciate, but I did my own replacement and hoped I’d sort it at the same time and came up Stumped - it is something I can live with. I didn’t even consider height of the pedal 😂 but I do have short legs!!
Post #851403 22nd Aug 2020 10:59am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Sounds like the release bearing contacting the pressure plate, or faulty clutch plate, which is very unlikely.

Adjusting the pedal position doesnt/shouldn't be used to, preload the clutch/bearing.

New bearing too?

It may resolve with time. Quite a few tdis and tdcis rattle neutral tickover clutch disengaged. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #851405 22nd Aug 2020 11:28am
red zepplin

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Rioja Red
Was the clutch fork replaced when you had the pressure plates done? The cup that holds the actuation rod does have a habit of wearing over time WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG
My sky lantern petition
http://chng.it/HJXmZC47
Post #851507 22nd Aug 2020 11:20pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Gear chatter is common and often noisier after new clutch which has new strong springs. They soften over time and the effect is reduced.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #851513 23rd Aug 2020 1:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1