↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Ford Bronco v The 2020 Defender - CarWow
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
There are loads of insurers for imported vehicles. I’m assuming you have no first hand experience insuring such vehicles?

Parts supply will likely be brilliant too. There are quite a few U.K. stockists for US imports. And failing that it is just a matter of ordering from the US. Which with the internet is easy these days. Suspect you’d be able to gets parts quicker than you can for some U.K. market models from other car makers.
Post #851417 22nd Aug 2020 1:02pm
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Defender for me. Simply love the interior.
Post #851419 22nd Aug 2020 1:17pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
markb110 wrote:
I think that the main market difference between the the Bronco and the Defender is something as simple as use.

By that i mean look at the UK and the US buying markets.

UK on the whole buy vehicles via PCP contracts, the vehicle is not theirs. The leasing company expects the vehicle to be returned in (almost) as new condition or the owner can finance the outstanding amount until it is paid off. Generally not a good idea in the UK due to the fact that the depreciation is greater than the value of the vehicle against any outstanding finance.

Any offroading / bramble rash just adds to the depreciation of the vehicle and not a badge of honour.

In the US. The majority of vehicles are bought via personal loans. the vehicle is theirs. this means that the owner is free to use the vehicle as they wish, modify it as they wish.

I

Are you 100% sure on the above? I think a lot of cars in the US are bought on finance, something that has been happening over there since the 1960s...

Also PCP is not a lease.

There's a decent article on US auto loans here:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-seven-yea...1569941215
Post #851429 22nd Aug 2020 2:48pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
I’ve just seen some interior photos of the Bronco in Car Magazine and I think it’s hideous. The exterior looks good though. Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #851449 22nd Aug 2020 6:06pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
I have to say, the bloke who has done that article is about as irritating as car journalists get, and having watched a few bits of other 'off road' testing he has done......he has absolutely zero idea what he is on about.

However, Bronco vs Defender........Im really impressed with Ford for doing something really fresh- its the leap I really wish JLR had made.

Chris
Post #851464 22nd Aug 2020 8:17pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Smilesapart wrote:
I’ve just seen some interior photos of the Bronco in Car Magazine and I think it’s hideous. The exterior looks good though.

Hideous Laughing Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes
Post #851508 22nd Aug 2020 11:23pm
StructuralDefect

United States 
For me in the US the Bronco will be everywhere. Everyone and their brother will have a Bronco and if not they will have a Jeep.
I prefer to have something more unique. Land Rovers in general have more of a luxury persona obviously. I now own only the 9th one to come through JLR of Cincinnati, OH. Most people look at it with awe and confusion because they don't know what the hell it is. Jeep and Bronco owners can battle it out over here with their aftermarket wars and I will just keep it simple and refined. I like the Bronco a lot and I like Jeeps but I prefer something more rare. I still regret selling my 69 FJ40. 2020 Defender S, P300 in Fuji White w/black ext. pack. Ebony leather heated front/rear seats. Comfort & conv. pack. Towing pack. Cold climate pack. Panoramic roof & expedition roof rack. Classic mud flaps. Fog lights. 19 inch 6 spoke w/off road tires. Clear sight rear view mirror. Sirius XM. Delivery 9/4/20
Post #855059 9th Sep 2020 4:03am
landiepete

Belgium 
So this is my 'decision tree' :

- Can I afford it ? No matter which other boxes it ticks, if I can't afford it it's out.
- Can I afford to repair it if it goes wrong ? See above. A broken down car is called 'ballast'
- Does it do what I need it to do (loading and towing capacity, +2500 kg) -> if it can't pull my trailer it's useless. If it can't hold the required load it's useless.
- Is it considered 'reliable' ? I know there are 'lemons', but I need it to get to my customers. A trip to and from the garage is two fewer billable hours.
- does it have permanent 4WD ? Id don't want to end up thinking 'I should've selected 4WD here...too late now'.

Only now we get to :

- Does it drive well ? Good is good, better is better. Air suspension rules !
- Does it have comfortable seating ? I dson't think there are really 'bad' seats left, but I prefer really good ones
- Does it have the right toys (360° cameras aren't an absolute requirement, but I find them quite useful).

If it's 'rare' or 'pretty' that's nice, But I don't really care

From the above checklist, a 130 may just work. Just. Much as like Bronco, it's too short.
Post #855066 9th Sep 2020 7:18am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
It will be interesting to see what markets the 130 is offered in - latest words from JLR suggest that it will not be all markets...

"We’re talking about the same wheel base but an extended version for some of our markets."
Adrian Mardell (CFO, Jaguar Land Rover)
Jaguar Land Rover Q1 Fiscal 2020/21 Results Call
Post #855122 9th Sep 2020 9:44am
BearCZ

Czech Republic 
Our dealer told me that 130 will be primaly launch for US a Asia market, EU and other countries will be depending on demand
Post #855135 9th Sep 2020 10:33am
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
BuckBlu110 wrote:
His figures on the load space can’t be right surely?? How does a vehicle of similar proportions have over twice the luggage capacity?? I think he needs to go over his research as I think ford has included the seat space in its figures.

I left a disapproving comment on his YouTube video for this when I first saw it. Irritates me no end. I don't know where he got his figures from but they don't even make sense - just by looking at the cars!

His videos are often amusing but he really betrays his ignorance in this one - compounded with poor research (also gets the packs and prices wrong for the Bronco). He clearly doesn't understand the audiences or markets that these cars were built for, nor the fundamentals of the specs that will make them succeed.

For the record, I really like the new Bronco - well done Ford. It could never replace my Defender because it can't do most of the things I need from my Defender but they've identified their target market well and nailed it. Look out Jeep! One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #856133 15th Sep 2020 9:45am
BuckBlu110

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Buckingham Blue
Absolutely. There’s a point when there’s so many facts are wrong that it’s not really journalism, it’s nudging the realms of story telling.
Post #856154 15th Sep 2020 1:57pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
If I had the choice of importing a Ford Bronco or buying a modern "defender" I'd probably still import a Dodge Ram 2500 HD Whistle

Thankfully I'm poor as Censored so its not an issue for me Laughing Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #856165 15th Sep 2020 4:35pm
landiepete

Belgium 
If you want a diesel HD you'll have to wait 'till after Brexit, as the GVW of a diesel HD exceeds 3500 kg and is thus 'unregisterable' as an N1 vehicle.
For gas I don'nt know the weights, maybe just, although I doubt it. You'd have to put it on a substantial diet, methinks.
Post #856260 16th Sep 2020 8:25am
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
I'm sure there are ways and means to get round it. Brexit being one of them Laughing

But again, unlikely to be a problem for me in the near future. Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #856268 16th Sep 2020 9:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>