↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Who cares what oil, it’s all the same! Apparently.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Who cares what oil, it’s all the same! Apparently.
I have recently bought a brand new Dacia to do the daily grind and give my Defender a bit of a rest. On receiving the car I was all keen, read the manual, pressed all the buttons, memorised the tyre pressures etc. Next on the list, get an oil top up to have on the shelf just in case….

Re-read the manual, no indication of what grade to use. Looked on the filler cap, totally blank. Phoned the dealer “not sure mate, there should be a sheet in the car with it on”. Said there wasn’t, so the dealer said they would get a new one printed and sent to me. Being the impatient type, I phoned Dacia customer service also weren’t sure and would get back to me. I later got an email telling me to use something called CASTOR 0 20 Rolling Eyes

In the meantime, I got on the Dacia forums and I basically got flamed for daring to ask! People asking why do I want to know, or why didn’t I just let the dealer top it up. Others saying any car needing a top is faulty and should be returned under warranty, or that synthetic oil is “universal” so just put any in. No one knew the viscosity or anything else about what oil to use, just bizarre. I’ve been a member of many marque forums and they have without fail been a great source of technical info, but not if you have a Dacia it seems. Are people that disinterested in how their car functions that knowing what oil it takes is considered to be freakishly weird?

I eventually emailed forum sponsor Opie Oils who came back to me on a Sunday to say RN17 FE 0w20 is what I need Thumbs Up

After 3 full weeks of waiting and constant reminders the dealer finally sent the official data sheet. 0w20 RN17 FE. At last I can sleep at night. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS

Last edited by Bluest on 27th Jun 2022 11:35am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #942357 13th Feb 2022 9:35pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
Our workshops use Fuchs Lubricants and to select the right lube use their site… link attached Thumbs Up

https://www.fuchs.com/se/en/products/service-links/oil-chooser/ Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #942358 13th Feb 2022 9:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bluest

I know there’s plenty of lookups, it was more the attitude of the manufacturer and dealer who acted like no one had ever asked such a question before and so called enthusiasts on forums who actively attacked me for wanting to know. Weird 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #942359 13th Feb 2022 9:46pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
It just proves how good Defender2.net really is. Thumbs Up Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #942370 13th Feb 2022 10:13pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Late to this (but of personal interest 'cos I'm thinking of buying a Dacia rather than a new Defender - shoot me!), but why didn't you research the equivalent Renault engine?

Peter
Post #942457 14th Feb 2022 2:39pm
Defender SVX

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Soft Top Santorini Black
Not a direct knock on Dacia as as a daily it’s a clever persons Renault imo but Is it just me but trying to imagine the Dacia forum users Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Maybe a bit stereotypical as we all know as Land Rover forum users we are all grumpy beardy types that still say a Series 11a 2.25 petrol was the best Land Rover ever Whistle Formerly mao99999
16 Focus RS Nitrous Blue.
11 FFRR TDV8 Vouge SE Black Black.
08 DEFENDER SVX SOFT TOP (SUPERB)
08 DEFENDER 110 DCPU Stornoway grey (Overland Exploration Unit)
05 Fiesta ST 150 Van
04 Jaguar XKR 4.2 Supercharged V8
02 DEFENDER 90 TD5 (next years soft top project)
95 DEFENDER 110 CSW 300 TDi Phoenix black
95 DEFENDER 90 HT Monti Carlo blue COUNTY 300 TDi
67 109" SERIES 2a TUNED 200 TDI
64 DAVID BROWN 990 rat look
55 86" SERIES 1
Post #942459 14th Feb 2022 3:07pm
Bluest

discomog wrote:
It just proves how good Defender2.net really is. Thumbs Up

You're not wrong there Thumbs Up 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #942462 14th Feb 2022 3:30pm
Bluest

Birdy wrote:
Late to this (but of personal interest 'cos I'm thinking of buying a Dacia rather than a new Defender - shoot me!), but why didn't you research the equivalent Renault engine?

Peter

That would have been an option if I didn't get a resolution, but it really shouldn't come to that for something as simple as this. I understand oil selection is critical due to proprietary coating on the cylinder walls, diamond like coating in the valve train and gasoline particulate filter.

BTW if you do look at a Dacia, cars are good, but dealers are generally hard work, and as I've found out the enthusiast community is not the best! 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #942463 14th Feb 2022 3:34pm
Bluest

Defender SVX wrote:
Not a direct knock on Dacia as as a daily it’s a clever persons Renault imo but Is it just me but trying to imagine the Dacia forum users Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Maybe a bit stereotypical as we all know as Land Rover forum users we are all grumpy beardy types that still say a Series 11a 2.25 petrol was the best Land Rover ever Whistle

Judging by the amount of activity on the dacia forum, most of them can't use the internet. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #942464 14th Feb 2022 3:36pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I was in a car servicing and repair centre at the weekend , the guy was on the phone to a parts supplier ordering some oil for a 3yr old lexus, I only heard one side of the conversation but it went like this.

I need a different oil filter
?????
yes that sound right its the canister one not the element and some oil
???????
yes its 0-20
???????
the cheapest
???????
that's fine

pretty glad they only ever do my MOT and I service the landy myself DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #942482 14th Feb 2022 6:05pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Top marks to Opie Oils Thumbs Up . They know their stuff.
I get the oil and filters from them for all the vehicles in our family.
Post #942489 14th Feb 2022 7:43pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Defender SVX wrote:

Maybe a bit stereotypical as we all know as Land Rover forum users we are all grumpy beardy types that still say a Series 11a 2.25 petrol was the best Land Rover ever Whistle

Well from a simplicity and reliability point of view, it probably was Thumbs Up Thumbs Up And I have no beard.

No ecu's to fret over or sleepless nights worrying if the latest Pivi Pro update will render the vehicle useless. Whistle
Post #942510 14th Feb 2022 9:12pm
Tim in Scotland

I wonder if the problem is that the number of Dacia owners that would call themselves “enthusiasts” must be minute, I suspect most are bought purely as a cheap no frills value for money utility.

An aside - most folks reckon Dacias are built in Romania but not so they have a huge factory in the port at Port Tangiers Med in Morocco that ships out several ship loads of them a week all over the world - some of them are even badged as Renaults too! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #942589 15th Feb 2022 5:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1