↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > New Def, Old Def and Gladiator off-road.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
New Def, Old Def and Gladiator off-road.
TFL review.

Post #848784 9th Aug 2020 10:12am
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
..very nice..THE DEFENDER, did it like a boss...sadly but not surprisingly, pretender looked like a joke..
Post #848860 9th Aug 2020 4:11pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
There is a video of new G vs New Defender that takes quite a similar theme.

Chris
Post #848868 9th Aug 2020 5:13pm
diduan

Bulgaria 
It was so sad looking at the poor performance of the new defender. I guess owners of new defenders will be happy with it, but I feel these people deserve more than what they got for their money. Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Jeep Wrangler YJ 1990 4.0. Front 78' Dana 60, Rear CUCV 14 bolt
Post #848880 9th Aug 2020 5:45pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Haven't watched the full video, but it looks like there's a certain amount of "modern showroom standard 4x4 isn't as capable as heavily modified traditional live axle 4x4"
Post #848892 9th Aug 2020 6:39pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Not really. Both the New Defender and the Jeep were fitted with 2 inch lifts and tyres that were 2 inches bigger than the stock fitment. The Jeep had factory fitted diff locks whilst the Defender, of course, has terrain response. The original Defender had a 3 inch lift but that wasn't the object of the comparison.

I thought it was a really interesting comparison. The New Defender clearly suffered from lack of articulation compared to the Jeep and the reactionary nature of its' traction control always made it look like it was having to make more of an effort, with lots of wheel spinning and bouncing from one corner to another as wheels lifted. The wishbones on the rear wheels looked particularly vulnerable, too. The biggest problem for the Jeep was really just its' enormous length.

The 90 made it look very easy of course, but then it was significantly smaller and lighter than the other two. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #848927 9th Aug 2020 10:36pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Two very interesting videos there, both reaching the same conclusion.
The towing test with the Mercedes showed a startling difference between the two.
Post #848938 10th Aug 2020 12:59am
MrEleven

Scotland 
Ive just watched the first video and i don't know if I'm missing something but didn’t the new defender do everything the others did and with less kit ? A 90 is always going to have a advantage over a 110 and gladiator due to its size plus had a bigger lift and didn’t have 20” alloys the new defender had. So whats the problem?
The g wagon vs defender, not watched that one yet but again a g wagon cost at least double the price so not really a fair comparison.
Some people on this forum are just so negative and i don't even know why you would want to come on this part of the forum. Clearly you are just coming to bash them and have no interest in owning one. So just leave all us idiots who have a new one to enjoy and talk among ourselves.
Post #848946 10th Aug 2020 7:09am
Buz1500

United Kingdom 
Well said sir.... can’t believe the negativity coming from some quarters.
Post #848951 10th Aug 2020 8:00am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
MrEleven wrote:
Ive just watched the first video and i don't know if I'm missing something but didn’t the new defender do everything the others did and with less kit ?

I think it's fair to say that the Defender did everything the others did with different kit. Terrain response instead of manual diff locks, independent air sprung suspension instead of coil springs and solid axles, and that made for an interesting comparison.

MrEleven wrote:
A 90 is always going to have a advantage over a 110 and gladiator due to its size plus had a bigger lift and didn’t have 20” alloys the new defender had. So whats the problem?

Whilst it was fun to watch the 90, that wasn't the object of the comparison. It was the Jeep v the New Defender. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #848967 10th Aug 2020 9:03am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
It should also be noted that the new Defender wasn't equipped with the active rear diff in neither these videos --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #848970 10th Aug 2020 9:06am
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
Quote:
Clearly you are just coming to bash them and have no interest in owning one.

..i cant say for others but i can say for myself that you are as wrong with this statement as thick head designer ruined an icon..
I always wanted to get new defender..only cars i have are rovers, two defenders and one RR P38 Linley. My daily drive is defender puma DC. And yes, i wanted to get new one, as i was hoping that i will see modernized utility truck, until I saw this abomination...so critics coming at least from me, are nothing but genuine, and very honest disappointment in brand i truly 'love'. That 'thing' is advertised as best of the best of the best.........of the best of the best..and as such should be observed as well..in reality, its cheaply built, overpriced vehicle which has nothing to do in common with what it claims to be, and that ugly make up slowly but surely is washing down every day, as more of those will end up in non JLR controlled reviews..and all im saying is not to bash Land Rover, but to steer them to start making cars AND money for sake of all of us, and only way to do it is with your POCKET...if you believe you have done something great(for Land Rover) by getting one of these things, fine, be that way. But all you did is support of something which will not do any good for brand. Thats all i can say..other than that, if people feel personally offended because of comments aimed at piece of metal, well, in that case, such folks have more serious problems than JLR related topics..
Post #848971 10th Aug 2020 9:09am
Tim in Scotland

Ecco you are spouting exactly the same crap that was spouted about Discovery 1, P38A RR, Freelander 1 and 2 , Discovery 3, RRS, Discovery Sport, and L405RR when they came to market. Cars that had JLR NOT built them would have seen LR disappear from markets long long before Puma Defender was launched. If JLR don’t produce vehicles that the general public wants to buy, not just cars for a group of 100 enthusiasts Worldwide then they will disappear even faster. Land Rover will.not survive if it doesn’t build vehicles that appeal to the masses not the elite wealthy few who can afford to buy a Classic Defender look-a-like these days.
I can imagine the screams of pain had JLR designed and built the Grenadier and then the bigger screams at how much that dinosaur is going to cost them. To buy a Grenadier I suspect you will have to be seriously wealthy and find few dealers and little technical back up. Grenadier is a vanity project for Jim Ratcliffe just to prove that JLR could have left Old Defender 90% unchanged.

BTW you might not see the other modern LR products doing what they are designed for where you live but I can assure you that plenty of people new to the brand are having great fun in their hi-tech modern Land Rover products - yesterday I was at an event where we had Freelander 1’s , a host of Freelander2’s, several Discovery Sports, L322 Range Rovers, another New Defender and lots and lots of Classic 90’s and 110’s - it was my 2nd fun off-road in my 110 albeit it a drive on very dusty rough tracks around Europe’s biggest onshore wind farm where I didn’t need to even think about using low box and not mud doing plugging on hillsides. It is the ability of the modern Land Rovers to venture into the countryside without any modification that appeals to people who might previously have purchased an Audi Q7 or a BMW X series or even a Mercedes M or GL class - all of which need serious option box ticking before they can go off road.
The general tone of your every post in the last 6 months is that you would sooner see JLR sink into oblivion than produce any of its current range of highly capable cars. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #848977 10th Aug 2020 9:40am
J77

Scotland 
Surely when off roading the driver should know where the lowest ground clearance is on the car, in new Defenders case it’s the suspension, I don’t see why he felt the need to drive over the rock rather than drive round it, or position the vehicle where it will clear the obstacle.
Post #848998 10th Aug 2020 11:34am
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
^^^^

Seems they are just doing things in a really difficult or improper way to try and find short comings? Rgds.

Chris
Post #849003 10th Aug 2020 12:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>