Home > Europe > Registering a Defender in the UK
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jpm

Russia 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
Registering a Defender in the UK
Hi all!

Can someone from the UK please advise me on the procedure of a vehicle temporary registration in London? I tried to reach DVLA explaining my case but could not find any email or feedback forms on their web-page.

The thing is that I am thinking about bringing my Defender form a non-EU country to the UK for 1-3 years while I am studying here. The car was slightly modified (suspension kit, Safety roll-cage, ARB front and back bumpers et.c) and all those changes were certified/documented in my host country. So now I am wondering whether those modifications could cause troubles when registering the car in the UK? How likely that I would be asked to de-install everything, which was not in stock? Maybe bringing a Defender to his homeland is a bad idea?

Appreciate for your feedback!

Cheers,
Post #848595 7th Aug 2020 9:25pm
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Don’t think there is a temp registration thing.

It’s just import a car to the UK on the dvla site how old is it?

More than 10 years then it’s convert the lights, speedo to read in mph Mot it insure it on the vin then request a number plate from the dvla. If it’s from outside of Europe then you also need to do nova when it’s brought in and other that tax.

I have registered a car from Sweden using the above and also a truck from the US.

Dvla website allows you to request the import pack which they send you.

Not had an issue with mods unlike Spain where the car has to be exact to manufactures spec to import it. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #848613 8th Aug 2020 5:57am
Race.it

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #848615 8th Aug 2020 6:01am
jpm

Russia 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
Race.it wrote:
Don’t think there is a temp registration thing.

It’s just import a car to the UK on the dvla site how old is it?

More than 10 years then it’s convert the lights, speedo to read in mph Mot it insure it on the vin then request a number plate from the dvla. If it’s from outside of Europe then you also need to do nova when it’s brought in and other that tax.

I have registered a car from Sweden using the above and also a truck from the US.

Dvla website allows you to request the import pack which they send you.

Not had an issue with mods unlike Spain where the car has to be exact to manufactures spec to import it.
Thanks for the info! It is a 2011 Defender.

In order to adapt it for the UK standards should I do the above mentioned covertions (lights, fog light, speedo) before bringing the vehicle for registration? Perhaps I can do those myself in a garage.
Post #848642 8th Aug 2020 8:45am
Tim in Scotland

If you are studying and living in London within the M25 then it’s going to cost you a fortune to drive within the emissions zone or if you will even be allowed to take it inside the ULEZ if it doesn’t have a DPF or any emissions controlling equipment on it.
They will be checked when you present the car for testing prior to being given U.K. approval.
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/charges-f...his-page-0 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #848644 8th Aug 2020 8:51am
Race.it

If it’s 2011 I would be tempted to wait till 2021 as think over 10 years it was simpler.

When I have done the importation myself always did the changes myself.

Note for the speedo they require a receipt but it was never checked so one of my cars kept the origional speedo and only km but I have the one I brought in a box, never had an issue with it. Rear fog light needs swapping from one side to another and front headlights.

Note as mentioned above the congestion charge etc and parking may kill the idea for you Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #848653 8th Aug 2020 9:53am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I read somewhere that DVLA are having a bit of a meltdown as they are understaffed due to Covid-19 restrictions and their backlog of work keeps piling up.

Might be why you are struggling to find contact details?
Post #848655 8th Aug 2020 10:34am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
There are a lot of Middle Eastern registered cars in Manchester brought over by students. They seem to stay on their original plates as they aren’t here permanently. Do you actually need to register the car in the UK? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #848656 8th Aug 2020 10:35am
Race.it

Technically after 6 months they should be swapped I know when I was in the UK and moved to a new area, I stayed there for 6 years and the same polish car was still polish registered all that time Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #848658 8th Aug 2020 11:08am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
It’s probably fine until you get caught for something or have an accident. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #848660 8th Aug 2020 11:14am
Tim in Scotland

Same around here, There’s a big ex-pat Polish population and they all seem to keep driving for years on Polish plates - judging by the condition of some of the cars I would suspect they’ve never had an MOT and that also raises the question of if they are insured.... there’s also several German plated LHD Puma Defenders and RRS’s permanently kept at one of the local big estates all year around. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #848662 8th Aug 2020 11:17am
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Rashers wrote:
I read somewhere that DVLA are having a bit of a meltdown as they are understaffed due to Covid-19 restrictions and their backlog of work keeps piling up.

Might be why you are struggling to find contact details?

I am about to send the paperwork in to register a JDM import Discovery, local importer has said to expect about 6-8 weeks for the V5 to be issued. Note too, unless they have managed to get themselves a bit more sorted, they aren't currently issuing the new registration packs.

If the car is less than 10 years old I believe you will need an IVA test or a certificate of conformity before it can be registered?

As others have said, there's also the question of Mr Kahn's hatred of Diesel engines in his lovely little town... he's quite happy with my friends 5.0SC V8 Range Rover though because it's petrol Rolling with laughter
Post #848693 8th Aug 2020 5:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1