Home > Td5 > Td5 misfire
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Td5 misfire
Hi all, just thought I'd feel back some information about a problem I've had with my Td5 this weekend.

Started getting an intermittent misfire on Friday night, initial thoughts were injector issue, oil in injector harness, fuel leak or fuel pump problem.

First clue was that there was no initial switch on whine from the fuel pump as it primes itself, so it pointed to a supply problem for the fuel pump, or a dead fuel pump.

A quick check of the electrical circuit around the fuel pump relay showed up a loose terminal on the relay, which has been overheating and has melted the relay holder around the pin. I've made a temporary repair but will be replacing the relay socket.

Very pleased it was something so simple, and not a nightmare problem just before Christmas Smile
Post #5658 21st Dec 2008 4:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin

Had this problem again, but not intermittent. Engine stopped and would not restart.

The fuel pump fuse had melted and blown Sad

Now need to find the root cause as I'm worried that both the relay holder and fuse holder show signs of overheating.
Post #10419 1st May 2009 3:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 
Although the relay connections are a common fault, blowing/melting the fuse points to excessive draw on the pump. Does the pump make any extra noise sometimes? the bottom of the pump in the tank can become partially blocked, causing it to work hard.

Perhaps check the amps draw on the pump, or pull the pump out (dropping the tank out on the 90 is a real pain!)

Regards
Steve
Post #10496 4th May 2009 10:32pm
Martin
Site Admin

Hi Steve,

First check is to see what current the pump is running. The fuse blew just driving into town, no other sign (although I'd have not heard any other strange noises).

The pump has always made a very short "zip" type noise when the key is first turned on. Other than that it is the normal audible hum (the lack of which told me straight away what the problem was).
Post #10497 4th May 2009 11:12pm
Martin
Site Admin

Further inspection of the fuse showed it had also overheated and snapped, rather than breaking due to excessive current.

I have renewed the fuse holder and relay holder, and also added a redundant fuse and relay (belt and braces!) to share the pump current.
Post #10508 5th May 2009 6:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1