↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Parisien Driving Skills
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Parisien Driving Skills
Well, the holidays have started in earnest and that brings with it the Parisien driver and his/her legendary driving skills, much appreciated throughout the rest of France. The only thing that can make tourist driving worse (most seem incapable of negotiating a bend) is heavy rain. Oh, wait, that’s arrived this weekend as well.... Censored

Click image to enlarge
 Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #847787 3rd Aug 2020 1:35pm
Tim in Scotland

Sorry but Glaswegians beat that hands down, they don’t bother with car parks and just park on a clear way single track road.... this was this weekend but we have been trying to get the cars cleared every weekend since June.

Police fine 70 drivers over 'dangerous' Loch Lomond parking https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-53623471

We also have a waterfall here that has been featured in Crown of Thrones or Outlander movies and a month ago an ambulance couldn’t get through the 170 parked cars to rescue somebody who had slipped into the waterfall........ a coastguard helicopter ended up being called out at vast expense and unnecessarily had people parked away from the area and walked further Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #847794 3rd Aug 2020 1:55pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I have taken SWMBO around La Periferique (I only speak/write schoolboy French) once in the USW.
She navigates so now that route is banned even if the detour adds many miles to our journey.
Having experienced the standard of driving around Paris I can empathise with you Very Happy Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #847795 3rd Aug 2020 1:56pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #847829 3rd Aug 2020 5:18pm
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Trouble is the vehicles are so fat these days with blind spots everywhere that people struggle to place them!
Post #847830 3rd Aug 2020 5:22pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green

Click image to enlarge

Money does not buy you parking skills either. Rolling Eyes
Post #847835 3rd Aug 2020 5:57pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Mike c wrote:
Trouble is the vehicles are so fat these days with blind spots everywhere that people struggle to place them!

I think you're being charitable there, I think the problem is that the drivers have become so gormless, inept, and antisocial, that they are either incapable of driving considerately or simply don't realise or don't care that they're morons.
Post #847851 3rd Aug 2020 6:56pm
Mike c

Agree blackwolf Thumbs Up But modern vehicle design is attributing to making drivers more incompetent etc!
Post #847853 3rd Aug 2020 7:00pm
blackwolf

Yes, a phenomenon known as the Peltzman Effect.
Post #847854 3rd Aug 2020 7:09pm
Mike c

Not heard of that before but looked it up, yes that basically sums it up. God it's only going to get worse in our health and safety obsessed society, that unfortunately seems to lack common sense and respect for others Mad
Post #847856 3rd Aug 2020 7:17pm
blackwolf

Another effect we see more and more (and which you might want to look up if you found Peltzman interesting) is the Dunning Kruger effect. Essentially it can be shown that stupid people overestimate their abilities because they're too stupid to realise their shortcomings, whilst intelligent people underestimate their abilities because they overanalyse potential failures. Interesting stuff, and all demonstrable experimentally.

In so many ways I do think the human race is spiralling down the plug-hole!
Post #847867 3rd Aug 2020 7:51pm
Mike c

I don't think I want look it up any more, it's too depressing Rolling with laughter

But yes sadly this is happening as time goes on, the stupid then think they will be protected by the government/authorities when they do stupid things etc etc, and unfortunately they are... Rolling Eyes
Post #847875 3rd Aug 2020 8:16pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
blackwolf wrote:
Another effect we see more and more (and which you might want to look up if you found Peltzman interesting) is the Dunning Kruger effect. Essentially it can be shown that stupid people overestimate their abilities because they're too stupid to realise their shortcomings, whilst intelligent people underestimate their abilities because they overanalyse potential failures. Interesting stuff, and all demonstrable experimentally.

In so many ways I do think the human race is spiralling down the plug-hole!

In the words of the band “System of a down” Stupid people do stupid things, smart people outsmart each other then themselves! Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #847880 3rd Aug 2020 8:27pm
Tim in Scotland

So Terrain Response and ATPC makes stupid people feel invincible off-road by the Kruger-Dunning effect because they over estimate their abilities............... thank goodness I prefer to use just low range, off-road height(if fitted!) and evaluate the situation by walking new scenarios before before launching off into the unknown off-road. But doing stupid things ocassionslly I’m also happy to admit to. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #847887 3rd Aug 2020 8:38pm
Barneyboy

England 1986 Defender 90 2.5 n/a Diesel ST Nato Green
Hi this was at our local pub a few months ago, she was struggling to work out how to charge the car and was on the phone hands gesticulating arms flailing Laughing Question Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge
Post #847888 3rd Aug 2020 8:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>