Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Bulkhead rust - advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
nitram17

Re: Progress - diseased part excised !
Mr Scrofula wrote:

Click image to enlarge

That looks a very good job have you checked the foot wells and air inlet and other usual rust suspects for water ingress from the above area? Pull the carpets back and that liner that does not come off easily and look for rust as i suspect you might have bulkhead measles in that there is never just one spot when you have bulkhead measles.I would also seal the bulkhead seal with captain tollies crack cure or some other sealant.

https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en/Capta...gn=Dynamic Search - UK&utm_term=fillers&utm_content=All Pages

The corrosion of the windscreen probably came from the windscreen/bulkhesd block seal and from the windscreen rubber which if you look under will probably be wet ..you have huge metal bulkhead connected to an aluminium windscreen frame by a small aluminium hinge block .its a galvanic corrosion love in if it gets wet and the poor seals encourage this... search for Zagato and rust on here for expert advice...... ps just ignore this if its a granny sucking eggs situation Thumbs Up

Just noticed your username ,tad worse than bulkhead measles Smile
Post #849442 12th Aug 2020 8:44am
Sturdaa

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Alveston Red
Mr Scrofula wrote:
£300 - which for the amount of time to dismantle, prep, weld, paint, and reassemble is pretty good !

I’m looking to get a similar repair done, do they advertise?
Post #849884 13th Aug 2020 10:47pm
dgardel

Italy 
When I read this stories, I greatful to my heavy use of Waxoyl in every where of my Defender from new!!!! Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #849902 14th Aug 2020 9:11am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mr Scrofula

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
Re: Progress - diseased part excised !
[quote="nitram17"]
Mr Scrofula wrote:

That looks a very good job have you checked the foot wells and air inlet and other usual rust suspects for water ingress from the above area? Pull the carpets back and that liner that does not come off easily and look for rust as i suspect you might have bulkhead measles in that there is never just one spot when you have bulkhead measles.I would also seal the bulkhead seal with captain tollies crack cure or some other sealant.

https://www.gaelforcemarine.co.uk/en/Capta...gn=Dynamic Search - UK&utm_term=fillers&utm_content=All Pages

The corrosion of the windscreen probably came from the windscreen/bulkhesd block seal and from the windscreen rubber which if you look under will probably be wet ..you have huge metal bulkhead connected to an aluminium windscreen frame by a small aluminium hinge block .its a galvanic corrosion love in if it gets wet and the poor seals encourage this... search for Zagato and rust on here for expert advice...... ps just ignore this if its a granny sucking eggs situation Thumbs Up

Just noticed your username ,tad worse than bulkhead measles Smile

Just got it back and looks great !

I knew about the rust, but it was after I had replaced the seat box end on the driver's side and switched out all the floor bolts with stainless, that I turned my attention to the passenger side. The bolts on the floor, particularly the ones at the front were rusty. I inspected the hinge, and all the bolts were rusty on that side. I took them all out and cleaned them with a wire brush, as well as the steel back plate, which I painted with galv/zinv/black paint. I then looked for the source and revealed the cancerous lesion under the hinge. The rest of the bulkhead, and footwells look ok, sound and rust free.

With the welding, the foam seal was replaced. There is some galvanic corrosion of the hinge on the passenger side, which I will wire brush, sand and repaint.

I have some 1mm rubber sheet from ebay, that I am slowly cutting up to put between all the steel and aluminium interfaces.

I have used insulating tape too, in places, but it is not so strong.

I will post up my safari door subthreshold cancer and solution shortly !
Post #850576 17th Aug 2020 7:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12