↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > KwikFit Mobile fitting services
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

KwikFit Mobile fitting services
Normally I don’t use KwikFit but they are giving me a very nice discount through my professional body, even on their mobile fitting service. Anybody any experience of KwikFit mobile? They are supplying and fitting 5 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 255/60 Q 20’s for me at home. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #846421 27th Jul 2020 3:58pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Tyre fitting is the only thing I’d trust them to do. Then switch off hearing as they lie to you about all the other things that need fixing on your car Rolling Eyes Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #846426 27th Jul 2020 4:06pm
Tim in Scotland

They had better not find anything needing doing, the car is only 6 weeks old and has enough issues as it is!

Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #846428 27th Jul 2020 4:09pm
Bian Considine

United Kingdom 
Personally I would not trust any of the quickfrauds type outfits.

"Its only a mobility car sir" (when fitting a different tyre make/tread patten rather than a matching one).

"Its only a van sir" (after leaving black oil on the drivers seat on a six week old Astra van).

They also appear to have a very bad attitude towards driver of fleet vehicles (probably because the fleet vehicle contracts are far less profitable than Mr & Mrs Joe Public).
Post #846456 27th Jul 2020 5:25pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
I got, “the brake pads are dangerously low” I’d replaced them all two days earlier Rolling Eyes Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #846457 27th Jul 2020 5:28pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I have quite a bit of experience dealing with mobile tyre fitters on air sprung landies. The only issue I had regularly was the fitters not following the proper process to jack the car without putting the suspension into fault. From memory it was something like having a door open or the boot open. Maybe the Defender is the same? If it is, just make sure you ask the fitter every time. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #846462 27th Jul 2020 5:38pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Used to get on really well with my local Kwikfit depot. The chaps there were happy to do the less than normal bits and bobs I asked for. I guess, as with most things, it depends whether it's just the grind of normal repetitive work or you are able to strike up a rapport over something.
Post #846467 27th Jul 2020 6:01pm
Tim in Scotland

As a family with 11 vehicles that have used the local Kwikfit depot/tyre centre for years we’ve never had an issue and never a problem with any of my air sprung Range Rovers, but I’ve never used the mobile set-up. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #846479 27th Jul 2020 6:35pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
You're lucky Tim. I have had a number of bad issues with Kwik Fit and wouldn't go anywhere near them with a barge pole unless there was absolutely nowhere else convenient or open.

There are so many really good indie tyre companies, owned and run by people who live and breath tyres, and are independent to the large tyre manufacturers, I don't know why you would ever use a national rip-off merchant?

I am not sure why you have posted this as you seem to be happy with Kwik Fit? The mobile Kwik Fit guys will just be the same fitter you get in their outlets but put into the van for a day. The waiting room at home will obviously be a lot more comfortable and you won't be tempted by the charity sweets Rolling with laughter

If you are changing the tyres on the Defender, what was wrong with the factory fitted ones?
Post #846503 27th Jul 2020 8:37pm
Tim in Scotland

They are All Season tyres as standard and I’m fitting AT’s instead for my regular runs off-road. I’am fitting what is the recommended OEM option tyre for the car if you spec the Off-road Pack from the factory but without needing to buy another set of wheels at £3500 for 4 rims.
The team at our local KwikFit all started out at Budget Tyres in town and we used them up until they were taken over by KwikFit and all the Budget tyres guys moved into the local KwikFit centre and the Budget outlet closed down. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #846537 27th Jul 2020 10:19pm
Bian Considine

United Kingdom 
Rashers wrote:

There are so many really good indie tyre companies, owned and run by people who live and breath tyres, and are independent to the large tyre manufacturers,

There are indeed - if you don't know where they are in your area ask your local indigenous taxi drivers - they always know where the good deals are.
Post #846563 27th Jul 2020 11:35pm
LoveTheMud

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I've never had a wheel from them that didn't vibrate at speed... and we are not talking fast, we are talking defender fast... Wont touch them with a barge pole... Asda-Tyre mobile fitting service on the other hand... top notch every time, but i guess that depends who your local mobile contractor is...
Post #846567 27th Jul 2020 11:54pm
Tim in Scotland

Phonecall at 0930 This morning (fitter was supposed to be here at 0830) “KwikFit HQ, sorry but these are very unusual tyres and your local depot has only 2 in stock and we are shipping the other 3 from Maidstone and they will be at your local depot at 1pm....... We will refund you the extra cost of the mobile service” 5 minutes later my Monzo Bank account has the refund land in it! That’s some white van man that can get from Maidstone to Central Scotland in 3.5 hours- so there really isn’t anything quicker than a Kwikfit fitter (in a white van!) Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #846825 29th Jul 2020 10:31am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Bian Considine wrote:
Rashers wrote:

There are so many really good indie tyre companies, owned and run by people who live and breath tyres, and are independent to the large tyre manufacturers,

There are indeed - if you don't know where they are in your area ask your local indigenous taxi drivers - they always know where the good deals are.

All the taxis round here run round on £15 part worns from one of the numerous dodgy backstreet garages. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #846830 29th Jul 2020 11:26am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
urm - Skoda taxi parked outside my neighbours a couple of weeks ago, one of the rear tyres looked like an F1 slick so I quickly looked round at the others. There were three different makes and all had different tread depths. So much for professional drivers. I somehow don't think they're the best people to advise on tyres Rolling with laughter Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #846836 29th Jul 2020 12:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>