↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics (L663) > How do you activate the wifi ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

According to the configurator WiFi hotspot with SIM isn’t even an option on 1st Edition but £430 option on any other version Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #846211 26th Jul 2020 7:09pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Is that called the Online Pack & comes with a separate antenna?

Scratch that ~ I was reading this which confused me:

Customers will be able to stay truly
connected with the Online Pack*
which will provide unlimited data
for music streaming, weather updates
and calendar information on the move.
By purchasing the onboard Wi-Fi
package, all passengers will be able
to stay connected with a separate
external antenna providing the best
possible service.

The April 2020 prices have the WiFi enabled option at £460.
Post #846245 26th Jul 2020 8:07pm
Tim in Scotland

Here is a link to what is on the configurator
https://buildyour.landrover.co.uk/lr2/r/op...0_a-x_sx0/

And my apologies, it’s £460 nit £430 as I posted earlier Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #846253 26th Jul 2020 8:49pm
Supacat

Tim in Scotland wrote:
It tells you in the iGuide how to set it all up if your car has the hotspot and WiFi - mine doesn’t have it as far as I can see but it has a SIM for the over the air updates anyway.

Do you have a 2nd SIM slot for the WiFi enabled optional SIM? I assume you could put your own data SIM in if so, but the question would be whether the vehicle would need a dealer to do any configuration or whether additional options on the Connectivity sub menu would be available. There's also the question of whether the additional antenna is a nice to have or a firm requirement to allow it to work.

Is £460 then an annual recurrent charge?

I get a 100Gb per month SIM for £240 at the moment.
Post #846258 26th Jul 2020 9:12pm
Tim in Scotland

Pass, no idea - I wouldn’t even know what to look for or where to look for the SIM card in my 110. I know where to look for it in my 90 though, it’s in the head unit for my Parrott system but it’s empty because i don’t need internet connectivity from the car radio, I use my phone. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #846268 26th Jul 2020 10:27pm
Tim in Scotland

IGuide informs me that the Nano SIM is in the centre cubby box in a slot between the USBA and USBC sockets. Not sure if I should tempt fate and remove it to see which network it’s on as it might not work again after fiddling with it. The centre fridge certainly works well so the SIM will keep nice and cold when the fridge is switched on. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #846340 27th Jul 2020 10:22am
Supacat

First off do you actually have a SIM card in the nano slot?

I thought there was a second embedded SIM location that deals with SOTA etc and that is fitted to all specs as standard.

The nano slot is for the optional hotspot functionality?

Network name should be available through the menu screens without having to remove the SIM.
Post #846361 27th Jul 2020 10:58am
Tim in Scotland

I don’t even have the slot in mine - MrEleven might though. The iGuide says it in the centre cubby box but my centre cubby box is a fridge - the alternative location is below the dash at the front of the centre console where the two USB sockets are and I don’t even have a blanking piece there.

Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #846382 27th Jul 2020 12:28pm
Supacat

So that's a dead end then.

Where is the location of your SOTA embedded SIM?
Post #846400 27th Jul 2020 1:19pm
J77

Scotland 
Usually they are hidden away somewhere, with only the data sim with in reach of the owner.
Post #846401 27th Jul 2020 1:21pm
Tim in Scotland

There’s no mention where it is in the iGuide, here’s all it says and the other links don’t say either

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #846402 27th Jul 2020 1:25pm
J77

Scotland 
Came across this in the mobile connectivity section

“Connected vehicles with no SIM card slot in the media hub have an embedded SIM card”

So I assume you only get the SIM card slot if the WiFi pack is selected?

One thing I saw in the small print is LR only give you this free for the first year of ownership.
Post #846404 27th Jul 2020 1:33pm
Supacat

Someone needs to email this engineer, I'm sure they will know:
Post #846427 27th Jul 2020 3:09pm
Tim in Scotland

The embedded one I’m sure I read in the sales documents I received is to the end of the warranty period and I know from the RRSport guys that that is also when the InControl Tracker subscription also needs to be renewed, both can be done together and either annually or a lifetime once off payment that from their postings doesn’t seem to be too expensive.
When the InControl Secure subscription on my RRS expired I didn’t renew it because my insurer didn’t require the car to have a tracker and also I knew I was probably going to be changing cars within the year anyway. It was the same with my Counttyman’s SIM, lasted for the warranty period then you pay to extend. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #846431 27th Jul 2020 3:24pm
J77

Scotland 
My Velars connected stuff lasts for the warranty period but I’m sure newer models it’s changed to just a year. I’ll double check though.
Post #846465 27th Jul 2020 4:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>