↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > How many prototypes were there?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

How many prototypes were there?
Just realised that I have an exceedingly low last 6 digits number on my VIN - below 1700 - so I wonder how many VINs were allocated to prototypes before customer cars started to be built. Hope mine isn’t a prototype! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #845735 24th Jul 2020 4:44pm
walfy

Don't prototypes have to be crushed or go into a museum? I'm sure they're not allowed to be sold to joe public 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #845796 24th Jul 2020 9:51pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Very lucrtive tax write off.......
Post #845797 24th Jul 2020 9:56pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
registered road testing prototypes do have to be destroyed when the production equivalent is launched. Design prototypes that are not for road testing I think are slightly different. Got in a conversation at the D5 launch as the car we viewed was a road test prototype destined for destruction shortly after. Not the best car to give a dealer for a launch preview night it was well worn! 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #845802 24th Jul 2020 10:09pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Didn't they name the prototypes First Edition? WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #845807 24th Jul 2020 10:17pm
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
90 Dreamer wrote:
Very lucrtive tax write off.......

It's not really, and very small potatoes in the development journey of a new model. Rgds.

Chris
Post #845810 24th Jul 2020 10:23pm
LRSpain004

Spain 
Rolling with laughter
Zed wrote:
Didn't they name the prototypes First Edition?
Brilliant!
Post #845812 24th Jul 2020 10:36pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Re: How many prototypes were there?
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Just realised that I have an exceedingly low last 6 digits number on my VIN - below 1700 - so I wonder how many VINs were allocated to prototypes before customer cars started to be built. Hope mine isn’t a prototype!

Do you have the build sheet? Or are there any other date markings on parts to suggest when parts were made?

It's been stated on here that vehicles have been going down the production line since May 2019, although maybe not continously.
Post #845937 25th Jul 2020 3:33pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
There's 2 parked at Eastnor....
Post #845969 25th Jul 2020 6:11pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
walfy wrote:
Don't prototypes have to be crushed or go into a museum? I'm sure they're not allowed to be sold to joe public

I think there's a recent story of Lotus selling prototypes to the public. If it can meet Construction & Use regulations, and pass an IVA, then it can be driven by anyone. If still in a manufacturer's hands then it can be driven on the road with partial exemptions to C&U.

My understanding was a manufacturer could do what it wanted with a prototype but if it wanted to claim tax credits then it had to give up beneficial use ~ hence crush or donate to a museum.

I once sat on Wayne Gardner's championship winning bike whilst working for Honda in Oz. It was going to be crushed shortly after. Not for tax credits, just that it contained so much Honda IP that had not been registered yet.
Post #845985 25th Jul 2020 7:07pm
Tim in Scotland

There is a “club” for owners of pre-production and launch day LR cars - The CVC Register. - and their members have some interesting cars. It seems quite a few Freelander 1’s escaped the crusher and can be identified by their black stick on trims around the rear side windows, they are also all white 5 door cars. The Orange RRS S/C driven by Tiff Nidell and one Jeremy Clarkson (wonder what happened to him) is now owned by a member of RRSport forum and was a pre-production First Edition RRS. On launch day of D3 I was at the local dealership and they had a black V8 HSE D3 that looked like it had come of the road on their forecourt - it was a pre-pro car loaned to a local farmer to shake down and had loads of equipment on it that never made it onto the production cars, it also had about 40,000 miles on it on launch day! It was destined for the Solihull Crusher. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #845997 25th Jul 2020 8:06pm
Slideywindows

England 
The CVC Register started off being for owners of very early RR P38A's which had CVC registrations.

It then morphed into being the Company Vehicles Club.

There have been prototypes, pre-production and launch vehicles in private hands since Series One days .

If past protocol is anything to go by, I imagine that true prototypes of the new vehicle could end up with the Dunsfold Trust.
Post #846023 25th Jul 2020 9:30pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Tim in Scotland wrote:
It seems quite a few Freelander 1’s escaped the crusher and can be identified by their black stick on trims around the rear side windows, they are also all white 5 door cars.

No they're not, Tim. This particular one is a non-white pre-pro but they made about 1950 vehicles with the extra black trim before doing away with it because of production and rectification issues:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #846047 25th Jul 2020 10:44pm
BuckBlu110

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Buckingham Blue
Slideywindows wrote:
The CVC Register started off being for owners of very early RR P38A's which had CVC registrations.

It then morphed into being the Company Vehicles Club.

There have been prototypes, pre-production and launch vehicles in private hands since Series One days .

If past protocol is anything to go by, I imagine that true prototypes of the new vehicle could end up with the Dunsfold Trust.

My 94 300 110 has a CVC registration Shocked I hope it isn’t a historically important vehicle because there isn’t much left of the original vehicle Rolling Eyes
Post #846054 25th Jul 2020 11:42pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
walfy wrote:
Don't prototypes have to be crushed or go into a museum? I'm sure they're not allowed to be sold to joe public

I’m sure I’ve seen a pic ofTwisted working on an ex prototype with some camouflage still not removed Whistle
Post #846082 26th Jul 2020 9:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>