↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Contactless screens.......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Contactless screens.......
I hope that LR fixes other electronic /iT gremlins before introducing this
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industr...1_readmore

I wonder if it will also read your credit card to pay for servicing.......

My Mini had a contactless screen............ the BMW mouse and sensitive mouse top to write on worked really well (if you were left handed!) and the mouse system was very intuitive - so much so it was easy to operate without looking at it to see which buttons you were trying to find Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #845449 23rd Jul 2020 11:41am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
JLR are developing what BMW have had for two or three years?

It will be that JLR are going to develop the wheel next Rolling with laughter
Post #845452 23rd Jul 2020 11:48am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Tim

We had my wifes Mini over a year and it was a friend she gave a lift to once pointed out that you could 'write' on the top of the button rather than clicking through..a..b..c..d..e... etc when entering the info on sat nav.

Rolling with laughter
Post #845490 23rd Jul 2020 3:43pm
Tim in Scotland

Privi -Pro is good but having to take your eyes off the road to fine the soft keys isn’t great, if it also had the Mini/BMW mouse as well that would make it fantastic because that little mouse thing is just so intuitive to use.
That scrolling through the alphabet thing in the Mini system is a dire, the “QWERTY” system is so much better Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 23rd Jul 2020 4:09pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #845492 23rd Jul 2020 3:48pm
Rashers

Apart from being a bit of a gimmick what does this all bring to the party?

It makes me smile that you are told not to use a phone and drive but most modern cars infotainment systems are really complex units. Some people can get used to this stuff really quickly, but I would suggest that most normal people would probably find most of this stuff a distraction to their driving. I’ve done it myself, trying to find the menu for a certain setting and suddenly finding a roundabout was closer than you anticipated Whistle

I am not knocking it because it’s all really clever, but half the rubbish I had on my last normal motor was great for the first two months then never got used or looked at again.

Some of it is just technology for the sake of technology Rolling Eyes

The new buses round our way have an eye sensor on the driver to see if he or she is losing concentration. A good idea? Not sure what they do if they are - there are no replacement drivers on standby. Perhaps a better safety method would be to give them shorter driving periods with more rest breaks and a shorter working day. You know that’s not going to happen.
Post #845493 23rd Jul 2020 3:59pm
Tim in Scotland

It’s taken me 5 weeks to learn how to select another radio station other than R4, the list in the in dash screen goes on and on and on and on for DAB stations, it was so much easier when there were 6 push buttons under the tuner screen and a windy knob to tune the radio (AM and LW of course)... admittedly it took me 5 weeks of listening to ever more boring repeats of The Archers Monologues before I gave up and opened up the iGuide app to see how to find Classic FM on a Sunday morning - still haven’t managed to find the new Times channel on DAB and have to stream that through my phone. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #845494 23rd Jul 2020 4:14pm
walfy

Doesn't it have a voice control button like the wifes Evoque? Press it and tell it to tune to a certain station. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #845495 23rd Jul 2020 4:24pm
Rashers

DAB is so hit and miss, Tim.

Some radios make it almost impossible to find channels. Others are fairly straight forward
Post #845496 23rd Jul 2020 4:25pm
Tim in Scotland

Never thought to try the voice instructions - I’ve never had much success with LR voice recognition but in my Mini it works every time!
DAB is pretty good around here and I know that Google Assistant, Alexa and Siri couldn’t find the UK Times Radio but would always find a digital broadcast from Uganda or Malawi........ Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #845513 23rd Jul 2020 5:18pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
This is why JLR never make money.

Too busy working on vanity projects, why don't they do the simple things first that the consumer will see and appreciate and hope fully become advocates of the brand instead of suffering poor service, poor vehicle reliabilty and then moving to another brand at the end of the PCP agreement.
Post #845540 23rd Jul 2020 8:22pm
Rashers

That is a fair comment, markb110
Post #845554 23rd Jul 2020 9:09pm
NinetyTD4

Wales 2012 Defender 90 Other SW Keswick Green
They made the knobs 'haptic' and 'cosy' instead of functional and cleanable ... now they spread C19 and they are going touchless touch? Does sound Monty Python finally found a new job. Never forget: cars have owner, Landrover have field service personnel.
Post #845635 24th Jul 2020 9:01am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1