↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > One bite too many!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
One bite too many!
Shocked Having just been bitten within an inch of my life by gnats, mossi’s and midges, I had to call an end to our lovely evening under the foxwing in Wareham Forrest.
I tried out the Avon skin so soft spray which is exclaimed to work well but I could see no effect.
I’m not a great fan of Deet (it actually melted the check rest of my SA80 and LSW back in the day, it worked but we always came out in spots and it did sting a bit).

What have you tried and how well did it work? 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #845371 22nd Jul 2020 10:20pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
I get bitten to Censored . (40 mozzie bites on my legs alone during a trip to Provence three weeks ago, Mrs Grenadier - 0). I’ve never found a lotion or spray that really works. In Kenya it was recommended we eat some raw garlic, (apparently it comes out in your skin), and I honestly wasn’t bitten much, but clearly that’s a little anti-social for a camping trip. I also noticed that the dirtier i became on ops/ex, the less I was bitten. Again, anti-social. I’m sure others will offer up a better remedy that dirt and bad smell but I either use what I can and put up with it, or wrap/net up. What do work well are the many cooling/anti-itching creams and lotions at Boots etc. Normally better to avoid the something unpleasant in the first place than deal with it after the fact, but no one wants to sit in a pub beer garden wearing Deet aftershave, a neck-high boiler suit and head net, so sometimes a cure is better than prevention. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #845375 22nd Jul 2020 10:29pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
We have terrible midges here at home. For a couple of months a year it’s impossible to sit outside in an evening. Tried everything over the years, proper products, old wives tails etc. The only thing that works is deet. Just don’t get it in your eyes or on anything plastic. Horrible stuff really. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #845379 22nd Jul 2020 10:34pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/4282934/...l-marines/ 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #845398 23rd Jul 2020 6:05am
Tim in Scotland

Rolling with laughter Normally we suffer really badly with midges in this area, they appear to have emigrated south as we’ve not had any yet since lock down started...... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #845403 23rd Jul 2020 6:41am
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
The Avon Skin stuff helps with the midges but there's also some another called Smidge that Midge that seems to help. Unfortunately nothing stops them totally other than covering up.

For mozzies in particular and whilst living in West Africa where malaria was an annual occurrence we used Jungle Formula as a roll-on (it does contain deet) and citronella candles if stationary in the evenings. Mosquitos are attracted to blue, black and red colours so avoid wearing those clothes in really bad places. A mate swears by marmite for breakfast every day, allegedly the mozzies dislike the smell of yeast on your skin but no idea if that has any scientific backing. 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
1992 200Tdi 90 Truck cab with Land Cruiser axles
Post #845410 23rd Jul 2020 7:26am
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Smidge is pretty good for some people but not others, instead of DEET based products try products with Picaridin instead, much safer, although like most products may not work for everyone. Strong fan blowing and a net is 100% proof, but does spoil any serenity Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #845415 23rd Jul 2020 8:18am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I don't have a solution to your problems only an experience.

Years ago while on holiday in Rhodes (Greece) S.H.M.B.O. and myself went on a boat trip to Simi another Greek island, now this place had mossies' that put the scots variant in the shade, before the trip we had been warned and advised to use a local anti mossie spray which contained Deet. This was no match for the blighters, we sort refuge in a local café and were lucky to find a local who could speak English, they directed us to the pharmacy, the lady behind the counter didn't speak English but knew what we needed by the use of hand gestures and pointing at the bites, reaching under the counter she pulled out a card which in English stated did we need something to stop them biting and did we need something to stop the itch? after giving her the international thumps up and nodding she called the pharmacists who pulled three bottles off the shelf and made up two concoctions in two spray bottles, and by the use of hand signals and printed cards told us what to do with them. We used the anti bit stuff before leaving and you could see the blighters avoid us when we left

To stop them biting the liquid smelt of deet, garlic and citronella , to relieve the itch we had been given Ammonia distillate which from experience as an apprentice at ICI, not only paralyses the lungs but also clears the head if you have overdone the night before. Ammonia Distillate is banned from sale to the public except in household cleaners. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #845421 23rd Jul 2020 9:07am
LoveTheMud

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Being of the age where most of my knowledge comes from TV and films, i remember the doctor No 007 film, and there being something in there about the little blighters being attracted to the salt in our skin. Normally I get bitten to death, but this year, nothing at all, and the wife seems to be covered in them.
I have been eating more garlic than normal as im cooking much more (wfh), also eating much more healthily.
But the biggest thing i think it might be is, I've changed my deodorant from a luxury type one, to a cheap vegan type non-aluminium, deodorant, and being vegan, its crap... I stink and not even the flies come near me Rolling with laughter
Post #845453 23rd Jul 2020 11:53am
Pilgrimmick

United Kingdom 
I believe that marmite and garlic both help, let’s face it who would want to eat blood with marmite and garlic.
As said above skin so soft does work, but you have to be very generous with it. Smidge is good but expensive, deet very good but With all sorts of drawbacks.
I have also heard that vitamin B is good, but cannot remember the science behind it. 80" 1948
Lightweight V8
Bowler Tomcat
130 Station wagon
90 300tdi
(Santana PS10 pick up)
Range Rover L322 (Ful fat)
Post #845459 23rd Jul 2020 12:21pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
My wife finds that walking next to me is enough to save her - large clouds above me, nothing near her at all. I'm a bit like the smelly kid in Peanuts.
Post #845468 23rd Jul 2020 1:05pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
We've been using a home made concoction that seems to work well - here at least, a base oil of almond, then citronella, geranium, lavender, tea tree, eucalyptus essential oils, into a spray bottle then applied after showering and smells nice too!

If you do get bitten, try a little toothpaste dabbed onto the bite and left - stings for 20 seconds but takes the itch away for good.

As others have said, a fan blowing under the table at night, citronella candles, mozzy net and fan at night and touch wood I'm still bite free this year.

Keith
Post #845480 23rd Jul 2020 3:02pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Giant kick ass flame throwers and here's me and the Mrs think of relocating to Scotlandshire 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #845484 23rd Jul 2020 3:27pm
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Re: One bite too many!
bear100 wrote:
(it actually melted the check rest of my SA80 and LSW back in the day, it worked but we always came out in spots and it did sting a bit).

You can't beat an SLR with wooden fittings! (showing my age.....) Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #845530 23rd Jul 2020 7:16pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I can remember the excitement of getting an SLR instead of a Lee Enfield .303 ! Now that's showing my age!
Post #845531 23rd Jul 2020 7:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>