↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Clear NAS lights fail MOT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
chopcat

Wales 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Clear NAS lights fail MOT
Just back from an independent to be told that despite it being ok for the last 10 years the 90 has failed the MOT because the NAS lights were not the right colour.

A simple fix and one, having been told that “oh yes they do fade over time” might have been picked up before it was taken to the test seeing as it was in for a full service before hand. Particularly as we drive a round trip of 120 miles to do this.

Slightly peeved - yes. So check yours if you have lear lens E marked LED NAS indicators.. its all a bit odd
Post #862010 16th Oct 2020 10:18pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I would have said that should be an advisory personally.
But the trouble is people tend to ignore that when they do, must admit it’s very annoying though and has been known before.

It’s my turn next week with mine, never an enjoyable time. Rolling Eyes Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #862012 16th Oct 2020 10:39pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
My old Derby Bentley once failed the MoT because the brake and tail lights were insufficiently red. Easily solved with the application of some red glass paint to the inside of the lenses, but the lack of redness was due solely to the lenses fading over the decades.
Post #862013 16th Oct 2020 10:44pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Funny you mention that Blackwolf.

Today I was following a classic 1960’s or earlier Jaguar.
(It had the Aluminium pressed plates)

I’m not sure what model but it was large similar to the model you mentioned and Rolls of that time. When he pulled up to the roundabout and braked it actually looked like hazard lights coming on and not brand lights.

The light clusters seemed to be one piece, with two lenses and quite small. It looked like the red brake lights were bleeding white light though the orange lenses too.
Which was making them amber / red. Not one colour or the other.

He turned off to the left but never saw an indicator flash at all. They looked like the original glass lens lights but couldn’t have been working properly.
I would imagine some kind of “baffle” between the two lenses segments must be missing allowing the light bulb light output emission to bleed though the wrong colour lens directly next to it.

It was a big ol’ car, at first I thought it was a US classic like a Chevy or something from a distance until I got closer. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #862016 16th Oct 2020 11:30pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
That was one problem I didn't have - having only semaphore indicators!
Post #862021 17th Oct 2020 12:24am
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
It does seem wrong that a garage would put a car through the MOT before carrying out the service. Perhaps a way of looking for add on work.
Annoying because you have a recorded fail.

Semaphore indicators mentioned by Blackwolf. They bring back memories. My Morris had them. Little electo / mechanical wonders which emitted less light than a glow worm.
Mind you when I took my test we were still tested on hand signals!!
Post #862047 17th Oct 2020 8:43am
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
I used to have disco 3 and I knew a injector was leaking, diagnosed as such, booked into a dealer to change (was not around, also a couple of weeks later MOT would expire) so left instructions to deal with the injector and ensure all the smoke that came out of the exhaust had gone. Then once that was done get it mot’ed what did they do MOT it first, failed on excessive smoke, I refused to pay for the MOT as they did it in reverse order I knew it would fail the MOT on smoke and it did. So did not use there services again.

Not one apology was given. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #862053 17th Oct 2020 9:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1