↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > MY16 - Headlight troubles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
TheGrumpy

Australia 
MY16 - Headlight troubles
Hi All, my headlights are starting to fail and I suspect the indicator stalk is on the way out. The main (high) beam works when flicked but the normal beam Is being temperamental.
I can hear the relays working so reckon it’s time for a new switch. Can anyone advise on the correct part number for a 2016 model (With ESC)? - I read/heard that the indicator stalk changed when the stability control was added?
Also, what’s the best option to stop this happening again? Relayed headlight loom or LEDs?
Thanks,
Darren

Click image to enlarge
Post #844847 20th Jul 2020 12:42pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Can't help with part numbers but I can tell you that reducing the current through the dip switch/indicator stalk is a very good idea (after you've replaced it). Either DIY or after market kits will do the job. Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #844864 20th Jul 2020 2:52pm
Marks Landy

United Kingdom 1985 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Java Black
Here you go-
Master light switch P/N AMR6104 😀

Don’t leave home without a spare!
Post #844943 20th Jul 2020 9:34pm
athelstan

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Montalcino Red
As far as I can see from the exterior lights wiring diagram, from MY 2012 - 2016 a relay was introduced to cure any excess load going through the headlamp switch.
This was outlined in Technical Bulletin LTB00467 dated 18/06/2012. 2015 90 XS Station Wagon Puma 2.2
2015 Morgan Plus 4
Post #844956 20th Jul 2020 10:21pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Get a Land Reiziger loom and your troubles will be over, whether you have LED headlight or filament.
Obviously if the switch is playing up that will need replacing too. I have an OEM Lucas one, they are the manufacture anyway.

Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #844966 20th Jul 2020 11:25pm
TheGrumpy

Australia 
Thanks guys, from what I can gather, the main light switch (AMR6104) is relayed but not the indicator stalk which still carries the full load. My problem is that I have dynamic stability control so the Lucas replacement part ($80oz) won’t work so I need the LR part ($700oz - only one in the country!)

The rectangular cutout in the switch housing is different and I’ve got some other gubbins going on underneath the steering column (DSC manic I think). I’m going to take off the wheel tomorrow and see if the stalk can be switched out of the existing housing.
Post #845683 24th Jul 2020 11:44am
TheGrumpy

Australia 
So...removed the wheel and had a better look at the indicator, horn and dip stalk housing. The XPB101290 definitely won’t work as it doesn’t allow for the steering angle sensor.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Does anyone know the part number for this one? Also, has anyone bought a XPB101290 and swapped the stalk only into the existing housing?

Btw, I checked both relays (under dash and under seat) and they are clicking and have continuity when tested out of the car.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks,

Darren
Post #846057 26th Jul 2020 12:31am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Regarding parts you may find the following site useful:
https://www.lrworkshop.com/

I would also if at all possible check input and output voltage before and after relays with load present. In case there is any severe voltage drop. (Relays may appear to work at face value but readings might, just might possibly show differently).
It’s a long shot though, relays are generally reliable but worth checking. Sometimes the contacts can get worn or corroded. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #846060 26th Jul 2020 1:34am
TheGrumpy

Australia 
Great Steve, thanks!
LR060124 is the part - 10 x the $$ than the XPB101290! (It does come with lights, indicator & wiper stalks though).
Hopefully someone has bodged the indicator stalk from an XP101290 into a MY15/16 housing!
Thanks for the Relay testing tip, I’ll give it a go.

Thanks,

Darren
Post #846061 26th Jul 2020 1:56am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Are you sure this is a stalk issue,

If the relays are clicking doesn't that show the stalk is working OK and the fault is further down the line, further if the headlights are intermittently playing up that is some unlikely coincidence.

I have no wiring diagram but I would look for common earth and +ve points, and follow old school fault finding techniques of splitting the system down to identify where the fault is.

Before these faults started was any work done on the car of dis anything significant happen DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #846062 26th Jul 2020 6:53am
custom90

United Kingdom 
That can be indeed an issue too grounding, all of the live side can check out correct as you will be taking readings from a separate ground most likely.

If a problem as mentioned above started just after other works were done, you can usefully safely say something may have been disturbed in the vicinity.

I would suggest taking readings at the headlight plugs too, unless you’ve done this already. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #846133 26th Jul 2020 1:53pm
TheGrumpy

Australia 
Thanks guys, good points about other causes. I’ve had a bull bar fitted (with indicators) and I put a light bar on recently. The bull bar fitting wasn’t the neatest wiring wise and even though I used a relayed harness for the light bar It’ll be worth checking both.
The relays that are working are both for the main (little) light switch so I’m relatively happy it’s ok. The indicator stalk isn’t relayed (I think) and when the lights are playing up it’s the switch to play with to get them going...that’s why it’s the main suspect.
I’ll follow your advice and investigate earths etc before I spend the $$ on the new assembly.
Thanks a lot for your help,
Darren
Post #846374 27th Jul 2020 12:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1