↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > cluster swaps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Naf

Kuwait 2000 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Nato Green No Canopy
cluster swaps
So from what i am reading online, the freelander, disco3 and defender tdci all share similar clusters.

I personally like the look of the freelander with the red marks in the high rpm range. Now it doesnt make sense to pay 200gbp just to use the gauge face, though you can score a gauge face for about 60-80gbp.

The RPM range look like they are in the correct location, but the KPH seem a bit off, the tdci maxes out at 200, while the freelander goes up to 220.

Its shooting for the moon, but it may prove troublesome in gettin the speedo to work correctly

Your thoughts? You think it could just be plugged in and go? or swap the gauge faces?

I need KPH, with a KPH odometer, and with my puma bulkhead swap gettin things to be the way i want i am askin for more trouble than its worth i feel Can't leave well enough alone
Post #842709 9th Jul 2020 9:52am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Whilst they are superficially similar, they're not interchangeable with the Defender. They're very different under the skin. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #842723 9th Jul 2020 11:02am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
See https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72385.html?highlight=cluster

You can't just bung a Fl2/D3/RRS pack in a Defender - they are electrically different.

You can't use the faces from a one of the others in a Defender either, as the warning lamp locations (and numbers of them) don't match.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #842725 9th Jul 2020 11:09am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Naf

Kuwait 2000 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Nato Green No Canopy
Martin, Valid point on the indicator locations. I was truly interested in the rpm side of the gauge. The speedo side has its own can of worms, as the freelander/discovery have different top speeds in the same sweeping motion.

I may try and Frankenstein my cluster where i cut the part i want from one, and use it on the other. I emailed lockwoodinternational to see if they will modify the backplate before i go and get my knife out and start chomping at my cluster.

Shame they dont work, would have made all our lives that much easier. And somewhat cheaper Can't leave well enough alone
Post #842738 9th Jul 2020 12:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1