Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Merlin

United Kingdom 
Post #842548 8th Jul 2020 2:24pm
siglo

Kuwait 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
I've used a Brodit base with a universal brodit holder since I got my defender but recently switched to the x-grip from ram mount. I've used them both for my Galaxy note 9 in a thick case which makes it quite large. These are some photos showing both although not very clearly.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The Brodit base is really good with the universal holder. On the largest adjustment it fits my note 9 & case fine. I like that it is a single hand use unlike the x-grips. After using it for a while, two things I did not like. The phone is not very secure during off-roading and I tend to open up the center dash for upgrades and wiring so sticking and un-sticking the base gets annoying.

The x-grip holds the phone securely, has an extra rubber thing to grip it even more while off-roading and I can use the ram mount ball to add other holders when needed.
Post #844198 17th Jul 2020 9:07am
donmacn

Slightly off-topic, but can I ask why folk are mounting phones this way? Genuinely curious - and not picking a fight along the lines of "you shouldn't be using the phone in the car"

I find that mine sits in the cubby shelf, on the passenger seat, or in my shirt pocket just depending. I do have a bluetooth head unit so I can answer incoming calls through that.

Is it sat nav? We haven't had many new roads up here for a couple of centuries, so I tend to only use that when I go much further south. And we don't have 'green lanes' to navigate either.

I could see it for selecting music, but at the moment I'm just downloading 8 hour blocks of Radio Paradise and hitting 'play' at the start of a journey..... not that there's been many of those since the end of March either.

Like I say, just curious. Maybe there's some sort of functionality or useful app out there that I'll learn about. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #844203 17th Jul 2020 9:38am
Angus_Beef

Norway 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
I use google maps for traffic / fastest routes as there is always construction and traffic problems. plus i listen to music and podcasts via the phone. with Siri I can dictate what I want and never have to touch the phone.

Edit: plus i use the BAS app quite a lot watching DPF Soot grams and intake temps, admittedly just for curiosity Roaming around 🇳🇴🇨🇭
Post #844204 17th Jul 2020 9:43am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I use mine for Sat Nav and playing music, podcast, etc. so it needs to be to hand. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #844208 17th Jul 2020 9:50am
Merlin

United Kingdom 
Hi Siglo, like the handle on the A pillar. Tell me about it as my wife is keen. Peter
Post #844235 17th Jul 2020 1:05pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
donmacn wrote:
Slightly off-topic, but can I ask why folk are mounting phones this way?

Don, same as LRA for me. Sat Nav, music and podcasts. Occasionally as a phone as well Rolling with laughter

Primary reason for me is the sat nav though. I travel a reasonable amount for work, often to new sites, or suppliers premises. Having it mounted on top of the dash means its only a slight glance across to double check the info.

The other bonus reason is when parked up I can turn the phone 90 degrees and play youtube to the kids whilst we're sat in the car waiting for SWMBO Laughing 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #844249 17th Jul 2020 1:48pm
siglo

Kuwait 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Merlin wrote:
Hi Siglo, like the handle on the A pillar. Tell me about it as my wife is keen. Peter

Hi Peter,

I have replaced the original land rover handles on the door with leather ones. Then used the original land rover handles on the A-Pillar with longer screws. They worked fine for a couple of years, but felt a bit flimsy. So I replaced them with these Chinese aluminum ones from aliexpress. I got the black ones so they tend to get hot to the touch during the summer over here. I covered them with a piece of blue cloth until I find a black one and it still on the handle for about a year and a half now. Very Happy

I think they are solid and very well built.

Click image to enlarge
Post #844290 17th Jul 2020 5:44pm
L110CDL

England 
Merlin wrote:
Go Brodit:

https://www.brodit.co.uk/live/productlinks/productlinks2.asp

Peter

+1 always use them Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #844345 17th Jul 2020 9:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12