↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > 4000kg towing on coupled/air brakes, trailer types etc
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Matt110

United Kingdom 
That's what i was pondering, 4.0T is always quoted as being the power brake limit, but it's never shown on a standard vehicle plate. It's going to be enough hassle getting the trailer through the IVA and building one, without re-plating the vehicle with an installation too. Though I guess that provides a neat possibility to try upgrading and replating it to a higher GVM.

.............now there's a can of worms.
Post #842762 9th Jul 2020 1:56pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
My personal view has always been that if you want a higher authorised MAM than 3500kg then you really should be looking at a different vehicle to a Defender, since essentially it doesn't have the reserve strength for higher operating weights.

This is also the reason why I've always felt that 6-wheel Defenders are actually a waste of time, unless all you want is the visual impact, since the basic vehicle is simply not robust enough for the mass. By the time you've strengthened the chassis, axles, and driveline, you would have been better off starting with a stronger vehicle.

There can also be little doubt that a Series vehicle is actually stronger than a later coil-spring vehicle, and, especially off-road, the leafers are driven more sympathetically than the coilers because the driver feels far more discomfort.

Overall I don't personally really see any point in going through the pain of upgrading a Defender to tow a coupled-brake 4-tonne trailer just for the sake of the extra 500kg. Buy a Unimog or MAN or Merc 4x4 and tow 5 tonnes or more safely instead.
Post #842768 9th Jul 2020 2:30pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Matt110 wrote:
Just had a thought reading the replies above, does anyone have a plate on a defender that specifically indicates 4.0T with a "next level or category" of braking? Or is it in the type approval for the actual vehicle itself.

I've not got mine with me at the minute but i'm pondering if we solved all of this and you were stopped, how would the nice policeman know that the vehicle was plated to 4.0T with said brakes if it's not plated somewhere?

Not quite a Defender but does state 4t quite plainly for tow capacity. No mention of extra braking requirements.

Click image to enlarge
 Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #842868 9th Jul 2020 7:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12