↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Insurance said they cant give me quote
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MrEleven

Scotland 
Insurance said they cant give me quote
Phoned my insurance company this morning debenhams and asked for a quote over the phone. Was told because of the value they couldn’t give me a quote. Was shocked ive 7 years no claims in my mid 30s with no points. Lady said she would get someone from another department to phone me back to see what they could do, that was around 10 am this morning and still waiting. Has anyone else had any problems insuring a new defender?
Post #839482 24th Jun 2020 8:08pm
J77

Scotland 
Happened to me with John Lewis on my Evoque, I just went on a comparison website and took out another policy with another company. Cheeky bar stewards tried to charge me a cancellation fee.
Post #839484 24th Jun 2020 8:12pm
MrEleven

Scotland 
Lady today did say if I couldn’t get a policy with them there would not be a cancellation fee, so thats good. Had a look on a comparison website today best price was £880 not sure if thats good or not. If you dont mind me asking what are other people paying for insurance?
Post #839487 24th Jun 2020 8:15pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I pay £650.00
But there are too many variables such as where you live and its crime rate is the car garaged or kept behind locked gates parked on the drive or the street what mods and security features are fitted etc etc to really give a comparison. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #839598 25th Jun 2020 10:23am
Tim in Scotland

When I tried to insure mine with NFU Mutual they didn't have the car on their database, then they couldn't find a First edition Model but issued me with a description on the docs until they got a vehicle database update. Yesterday I got a new Certificate and policy docs with the car described as a First Edition and interestingly there was a cheque for a refund of over paid premium - I only re-insured the Mini in May and I have a rebate on buying the Defender! £340 for the Defender versus £400 for the Mini! Live in the sticks, voluntary annual miles limitation, low risk of theft, 40 years NCB but I do have offload use again which the Mini didn't have. My old Defender costs the same but with lower annual miles limitation. Don't ask me how they calculated the lower premium for the more expensive vehicle, I'm not going to argue over it! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #839603 25th Jun 2020 11:01am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Less desirable? Embarassed

Only joking ~ can I ask how many miles on the limitation?
Post #839678 25th Jun 2020 4:46pm
MrEleven

Scotland 
All done got it for £750 with Churchill.
Post #839699 25th Jun 2020 5:32pm
Tim in Scotland

On the new one 6000pa, on the old Defender 5000 but it rarely exceeds 1500pa. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 26th Jun 2020 6:11am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #839750 25th Jun 2020 9:20pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Thumbs Up

Not too restrictive then.
Post #839761 25th Jun 2020 11:15pm
Tim in Scotland

Includes offroad use as well which usually pushes premiums through the roof. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #839773 26th Jun 2020 6:11am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Land Rovers own insurance, which let’s face it, is a nominated broker that has a sole exclusive with Land Rover states in bold lettering, ‘Does not include off road use’!

Kind of ironic for a vehicle brand sold on its off road credentials.

What I think is bad when I saw my wife’s LR policy was that it does not define what ‘off road’ means. I guess many owners are put off from exploring Byways as they think that that is ‘off road’.

Off road to me is on a private site, and they are never covered by insurance....

On a side note many of these brokers work on a three year profit / loss basis with the insurance companies that provide the cover. As most people don’t claim in the first year, the first year commissions are profit to the broker. The customers that stay are more likely to claim. As these brokers use data a lot they can manipulate the premiums / vehicles / post codes to give them the profits that they need.

So going back to the start of the thread, you can be a good risk but if that broker has started to show losses on their account, the quickest way of raining in the account to ensure their profit payment is to limit losses in advance by policing customers away.

In the event that the broker losses the support of one insurance company, another with take up the account, the book of business is moved over and the cycle starts again

I used to work for a large insurance company as an account manager , both seeing brokers, call centres and even seconded to a broker for 18 months to boost sales and training.

The key thing that I experienced over my time was that the experienced staff left or was made redundant and was replaced by teenagers that were still living at home with their parents, ie no life experience. Hence everything was read straight off of what they saw on the screen, brains were not required. We know the story, ‘ computer says nooooo’.

Online quotes are as bad as the responsibility for arranging their own insurance is on the shoulders of the individual who are not insurance experts, most on the whole are looking for a cheep premium.

It’s very easy for people to see the premium, press back, make ‘changes’, press quote then pay the premium.

The better direct insurance companies can see this, they let the payment be collected, but in event of a major claim this data can be seen and a loss adjuster will be involved. Not unusual for a policy to be cancelled and all premiums refunded.

This of cause leads the individual to lie again when saucing a quote on line.
Post #839807 26th Jun 2020 9:44am
Tim in Scotland

I used to insure with them when it was part of Land Rover Finance and continued to insure with them until 2015. IIRC that was when off-road cover was withdrawn but prior to that the scheme was run by Stratstones trading as Land Rover Insurance and over the years between them taking it on and me leaving they quietly removed things like automatic cover for anything being towed, loads on roof racks, panoramic roof glass was removed from other replacement glass and I think the amount you could claim for stolen audio and valuables in the car was reduced too.

The thing that made me switch was when I got an annual premium quote that one year had been £270 and then next rocketed to over £900. I phoned and queried as up to then I just auto-renewed. The tele-sales person told me that there had been a “mistake” on quotes sent out over that week and they would like to requote me. Rolling with laughter
My reply was “why did you wait 3 weeks for me to query it and not send out a corrected renewal notice with the correct premium?” No reply! They expected me to just auto-renew again! I had been to NFU’s local office for a quote in the mean time and as that included off-road use and trailer/ roof rack cover etc and was about £100 cheaper than LRI’s corrected quote I changed. I thought that they had stopped trading! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #839816 26th Jun 2020 10:17am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
^^ I never allow auto-renew for precisely that reason, many companies seem to think it is a permit to print money. I was horrified when I found that my Mum was paying around £800 for her Freelander, I managed to get it down to below £300 within 10 minutes (she's from the generation that trusted)!

Re. the "off-road cover", without definitions this is a largely meaningless term, I feel. My driveway is "off-road" but I would expect my vehicle to be covered when parked thereupon. Any unmetalled public vehicular R-o-W is a "road" and therefore an off-road exclusion would not exclude it, unless specifically noted. I am not aware of any current policy offering which excludes certain categories of road, as long as it is legal to be there (1 three-wheeler is probably not covered on a motorway, for example, because it isn't allowed to be there).

Overall I do feel that the UK motor insurance industry has an entirely justifiable bad reputation, it does itself no favours at all. That being said, it is under a constant and sustained attack by a vast hoard of scammers, fraudsters, liars, and criminals, amply supported by an army of dubious lawyers, so it can't be an easy balance. I am left with the feeling that the decent honest people get the rough end of the deal a lot of the time though.
Post #839822 26th Jun 2020 10:55am
spudfan

Ireland 
Wrong place oops 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #839983 27th Jun 2020 12:50am
adafish

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi DCPU Stornoway Grey
MrEleven wrote:
All done got it for £750 with Churchill.

OH YESSSS Putting Dreams on Drives at JLR Solihull..
Post #840043 27th Jun 2020 3:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1