Home > General & Technical (L663) > Rocky start for Land Rover’s new Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
X4SKP wrote:
Gent's I have an update for you...

Yesterday I went for a drive in a new 110, (it was pre-agreed that no photos would be posted).

The photo thing ~ is that normal now? Why? Confused
Post #839602 25th Jun 2020 11:00am
devnull

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Maybe they want to be like Suzuki, no ads, no safari for 'influencers' from half of the world and bam more orders than factory can cope with
Post #839607 25th Jun 2020 11:16am
zilch

Australia 
Supacat wrote:
You are confusing demand, measured as orders taken, and sales, more specifically retail sales.

To be clear JLR had retail sales of the new Defender of 200 vehicles to 31st March 2020. We'll have to wait until July, I think to know the Q1 FY21 figures.

When taking about demand, there should also be no confusion with regard to production and whether the vehicles are available to be sold or not. Not sure why you mention production?

JLR were vague about the actual numbers of orders taken, preferring to talk about demand in terms of online configurations instead and publish meaningless graphs with no scales. If the figures were good they would have been shouting it out loudly.

22K (11K for customers) is basically orders they have received in advance, and the reason i raise production is that they
have not been able to produce anything for the last few months to furnish dealer stock in any real quantity for US and other
markets. In the US dealers are asking anything up to 20K over list due to "market availability and conditions". My source is
one of the new defender social media groups where US buyers are bitching about dealer sharp practices, and many are
cooling their heels until there is more stock available, and in some cases if the D300 MHEV rocks up.. which is surprising as
i thought the US market would be all about big V8 gassers not diesels.

Hope we both agree that the next few months/quarters should be the real test once we all come out of the current crisis and
people maybe loosen the purse strings or not on major purchases..

at this juncture I propose not to bother debating it any further .. Whistle yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #839778 26th Jun 2020 7:43am
Tim in Scotland

devnull wrote:
Maybe they want to be like Suzuki, no ads, no safari for 'influencers' from half of the world and bam more orders than factory can cope with

There is another issue for LR - everyone wants a new Jimny, very few want a New Upmarket Defender. Suzuki knows who it’s market is LR don’t, they are trying to create a market for something that doesn’t really fit with their other products. Suzuki builds an honest low budget vehicle, LR has tried to justify moving the Defender name up market when they should have stuck with a basic and honest work-a-day vehicle. The Jimny has an established market, New Defender is basically there to push Disco5 out of the range. Next worry for loyal Disco owners is will there be another Discovery in the future because a maker cannot have two models competing against each other in the same sector of the market - family sized SUV’s/ 4x4’s Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 26th Jun 2020 8:57am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #839789 26th Jun 2020 8:52am
Supacat

Right - so this thread was all about demand prior to actual sales going live.

If we stick to that point then it's clear that JLR were spinning wildly on that topic and that topic alone. The new defender, at least in 110 guise, has not had people rushing to place an order.

It may be a slow burn, people may be waiting to have a test drive before placing an order (I know I certainly would), and it may turn out to be hugely successful - just that's not what we were being told by JLR.

if you want to start a separate thread to talk about production, actual sales, sales practices, etc then please do so but it just muddies the water when the topic is demand prior to 1st deliveries.

zilch wrote:

and a quick chart showing sales in Q4 in China.. whilst not at precovid levels, they have recovered a fair bit.

and yet your response to exactly that point when I made it made was:
zilch wrote:
whatever the Chinese market is doing in the last 2 months, overall the pandemic has had a disastrous impact on the worlds economy, including vehicle production and sales, anyone thinking any differently must be living in Trump's alternative reality lala land.

zilch wrote:
updated after a bit of research

Opinions and facts...nothing like finding out some of the latter before letting loose with with the former.
Post #839791 26th Jun 2020 8:55am
zilch

Australia 
are you still banging on Laughing Whistle

Supacat wrote:

if you want to start a separate thread to talk about production, actual sales, sales practices, etc then please do so but it just muddies the water when the topic is demand prior to 1st deliveries.
that sounds a riveting topic, no thanks

zilch wrote:

and a quick chart showing sales in Q4 in China.. whilst not at precovid levels, they have recovered a fair bit.

and yet your response to exactly that point when I made it made was: Confirming that China was ahead of the curve and
maybe more companies than volvo were bouncing back..

zilch wrote:
whatever the Chinese market is doing in the last 2 months, overall the pandemic has had a disastrous impact on the worlds economy, including vehicle production and sales, anyone thinking any differently must be living in Trump's alternative reality lala land.
Discussing the overall global market position not just China

zilch wrote:

Quote:
Opinions and facts...nothing like finding out some of the latter before letting loose with with the former.

pot kettle black comes to mind.. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport

Last edited by zilch on 26th Jun 2020 9:59am. Edited 4 times in total
Post #839793 26th Jun 2020 9:08am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Supacat, I agree with your comment re test drive.

The LR Experience centres are still closed with no update as to when they will reopen.

We still have a half day voucher that we have saved just for the new Defender.

The ‘test drive’ at our local dealer consists of pulling of the forecourt onto a busy road and sitting in traffic, before getting to the A3 and driving at 70 miles an hour, off round a roundabout then back to the dealer. Basically nothing you could not do in a second hand Fiesta.

My wife buys new due to a good works scheme and has had a numerous vehicles since the original Freelander came out. Doing the half day is much more fun and informative than a dealer point and drive test.

Interestedly when taking the Velar around Eastnor the instructor said not to bother with the air suspension if the vehicle that she subsequently got, was going to be on PCP and never going to go off road. The additional costs for a road only vehicle was not worth the expense.

I am sure a sales person would have said the opposite.
Post #839797 26th Jun 2020 9:17am
Tim in Scotland

Off Topic

Sometimes I think LR dealer’s sales teams don’t do the company any good........... in 2018 when I was looking to replace my 3 year old RRS I was interested in the PHEV version but was told that as a private buyer I would be better off buying another SDv6 HSE Dynamic “because the PHEV is really only meant to be sold to business users who can reduce their BIK on a company car” so I trotted off to the Mini dealership and bought a Countryman PHEV instead......... at the time I didn’t want another diesel RRS due to the snapping crank fiasco. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #839818 26th Jun 2020 10:28am
Supacat

zilch wrote:
are you still banging on Laughing Whistle

Supacat wrote:

that sounds a riveting topic, no thanks

zilch wrote:

and yet your response to exactly that point when I made it made was: Confirming that China was ahead of the curve and
maybe more companies than volvo were bouncing back..

zilch wrote:
Discussing the overall global market position not just China

zilch wrote:

Quote:

pot kettle black comes to mind..

I think you need to edit it a 5th time, it's still not making any sense... I think you've done so many 180 degree turns in your comments that you don't know which way is up Rolling Eyes

Loving your ability to say something, and stick to it... not:

zilch wrote:
at this juncture I propose not to bother debating it any further .. Whistle
Post #839866 26th Jun 2020 2:10pm
Supacat

markb110 wrote:
Supacat, I agree with your comment re test drive.

The LR Experience centres are still closed with no update as to when they will reopen.

We still have a half day voucher that we have saved just for the new Defender.

The ‘test drive’ at our local dealer consists of pulling of the forecourt onto a busy road and sitting in traffic, before getting to the A3 and driving at 70 miles an hour, off round a roundabout then back to the dealer. Basically nothing you could not do in a second hand Fiesta.

My wife buys new due to a good works scheme and has had a numerous vehicles since the original Freelander came out. Doing the half day is much more fun and informative than a dealer point and drive test.

Interestedly when taking the Velar around Eastnor the instructor said not to bother with the air suspension if the vehicle that she subsequently got, was going to be on PCP and never going to go off road. The additional costs for a road only vehicle was not worth the expense.

Best test drive I ever had was when I called on spec to Land Rover Leeds. Turned up in my Lightweight just to kick some tyres as I had some spare time. Salesman caught me looking at a Discovery, handed me the keys and said they didn't close until 6.30pm. It was mid morning. I took the car, returned later and bought one.

Last edited by Supacat on 26th Jun 2020 5:13pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #839867 26th Jun 2020 2:15pm
J77

Scotland 
I turned down the test drive of the 110, mainly because it’s a 90 on coils I’m going for and I don’t like just 15 mins with the car. I’d rather have at least 24hrs with it.
Post #839868 26th Jun 2020 2:21pm
J77

Scotland 
markb110 wrote:

I took my Velar on coils as my salesman said the same it’s not worth the extra and adds no value come trade in. My one came on the coils/adaptive dampers which I think LR have now made optional Rolling Eyes

My 90 will be on coils, in my eyes £2k is a bit steep and again adds no value come trade my salesman agrees. Yeah it won’t be as good in the rough but it will do what I need.
Post #839870 26th Jun 2020 2:29pm
Supacat

J77 wrote:
I turned down the test drive of the 110, mainly because it’s a 90 on coils I’m going for and I don’t like just 15 mins with the car. I’d rather have at least 24hrs with it.

Is anyone getting 24 hours with a 110?

Will you get 24 hours with a 90?
Post #839891 26th Jun 2020 5:16pm
Supacat

J77 wrote:
markb110 wrote:

I took my Velar on coils as my salesman said the same it’s not worth the extra and adds no value come trade in. My one came on the coils/adaptive dampers which I think LR have now made optional Rolling Eyes

My 90 will be on coils, in my eyes £2k is a bit steep and again adds no value come trade my salesman agrees. Yeah it won’t be as good in the rough but it will do what I need.

I'm genuinely surprised that the market sees no value in air suspension come trade in. I'd like to understand why? Is it seen as just a cost liability in the sense of either prone to fail post warranty or just very expensive if it does?
Post #839893 26th Jun 2020 5:20pm
Tim in Scotland

I think on Velar things are a bit different as it isn’t perceived to be an off-road capable vehicle by buyers, it’s more Road Rover and IIRC air springs are an option on most variants and not standard other than on the most expensive versions. Also air suspension is still seen as unreliable by a lot of people, in my experience of the 7 LR products I’ve owned with it I’ve never had a single issue. It has been modified and improved over the years but it seems everyone thinks of P38A’s problems as soon as you mention air spring systems. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #839904 26th Jun 2020 5:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>