↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Which Tracker?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
foxhound

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
Which Tracker?
Hi all,

Has anyone installed any of the cheap GPS/GSM fleabay trackers as a backup to a more expensive system? Are they any good? I'm very wary of anything made in China or a tracker connected to a Chinese cloud server!

thanks for any advice in advance 110 Defender 300tdi & Penman trailer with ally exped top and roof tent
Post #837851 17th Jun 2020 5:17pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I don‘t quite understand. You want cheap but not chinese? Not possible I guess :/
Otherwise search for tkstar in the forum; quite decent china trackers.

And as with all GSM based trackers you can do without any server and use text messages. Not as comfortable of course. Been using this for 20 years or so with industrial telematics devices (still working, but made in Germany Very Happy Wink )
Post #838015 18th Jun 2020 9:48am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I've got a cheap TK Star battery powered one. It works OK, but I wouldn't use it as my sole security. It is connected to some server somewhere, and that's what allows you to track it on Google Maps, send it remote instructions or whatever. Being realistic, what is the real concern relating to the server? They don't know what the tracker is being used for, you don't need to give anything other than you email address to it, so it's hard see there being much real risk. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #838017 18th Jun 2020 9:53am
NinetyTD4

Wales 2012 Defender 90 Other SW Keswick Green
The defacto standard for what you describe is the Xexun TK-102 V2, but be aware of fake units and clone units (read i.e. https://www.my-gps.org/205-recognize-tk102-clone ).

We equip our two-digits number of car fleet with original TK-102V2 since they became available (the first version had quite some flaws, so stay away from it) and they simply do their job. Never had a failure, never a bad one, they just work. If you google you will find the 'orange server' we were using in the very first beginning, we later switched to buy not direct in China but in Austria from a company called Itakka also giving their customers free access to their tracking server, recently we set up our own server which was not really complex to do. Never forget: cars have owner, Landrover have field service personnel.
Post #838018 18th Jun 2020 9:55am
Thon

United Kingdom 
I'm just wondering why you want a back-up for a more expensive system? Isn't the point of having an expensive system that you shouldn't need a back-up?

Just askin' Thumbs Up
Post #838094 18th Jun 2020 6:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1