↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres (L663) > 22" on New Defender 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
CBH

22" on New Defender 110
New to the forum so apologies if this has already been covered in older threads.

I've just stepped in to a new 110 order (presumably someone cancelled) due for handover in a few weeks time. Very excited, stepping up from a Disco 4.

Its pretty much my perfect spec (HSE X-dynamic, Carpathian Grey, extended black pack, air-suspension etc). The only thing I wouldn't have chosen are the 22" gloss black wheels. I would have gone for the 20" satin grey.

Looks are a personal thing, so I'm more looking for reassurance that the 22" are not going to cause problems. Whilst we live rurally (a mile from the nearest public, tarmac road) I have no intention of using the vehicle for 'proper' off roading. It may find itself occasionally wading through flood water and making its way across muddy paddocks (when the flood water gets too deep to leave home the usual way). Oh and the roads around here are pretty rough with potholes etc.

The dealer says the 22" gloss black are "the most popular wheels". Which of course they would say!

Any thoughts, opinions, experience and random unrelated comments will all be much appreciated.
Post #1021638 18th Jan 2024 12:08pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Probably stating the obvious for you but since the rolling circumference remain the same to avoid changes in the odometer etc, a larger rim results in a 'thinner' tire (unless you live in America).

Traditionally thinner tires are for race cars as they have less sideway flex and thicker tires are for 4x4 as they are better at handling stones and provide a decent barrier, but that is traded off against a bigger side way deflection.

However nowadays logic has left the building and everything is about looks and followers so 4x4 get race wheels to give them better corning for lapping the Nuremberg Ring.

Tires are better now than they used to be and so is suspension. I am sure your 20" will be fine for reasonably off-tarmac use if you can live with the look.
Post #1021643 18th Jan 2024 1:06pm
Soup Dragon

22” is standard on the V8 and that has plenty of off-road capability as you can see from the promotional & press videos. I don’t think LR would fit a wheel / tyre that wouldn’t work with the car. Yes 20” or smaller will be more capable generally (I have 19”) but I think 22” will be fine. The key is air suspension which you have got, otherwise ride would be too harsh IMO.
Post #1021673 18th Jan 2024 5:02pm
Jamundo86

United Kingdom 
I've got an XS due in March with the 20" 5095 Style wheels and will be looking to replace them with black 22s (sadly not factory option on the XS) - maybe a bit premature but would be open to swapping/trading at the time if of any interest?
Post #1021683 18th Jan 2024 6:17pm
snowtiger

Germany 
Would never swap my 18" to a bigger size. Wifey can't destroy them Smile. One of the reason for the Defender was the fact, that it looks great with small rims and a lot of rubber, what you cannot say about a lot cars.
Post #1021705 18th Jan 2024 8:39pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
Its probably less of a capability consideration between sizes as the amount of tread hitting the ground is the same but more a ride and robustness consideration. I have driven 110s on big rims and made the decision to go for 20's its personal preference on the look your going for, I like rugged and felt it was a better ride on them.

If your roads are in poor repair your at risk of damaging 22's more than 20's. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #1021749 19th Jan 2024 10:07am
CBH

Thanks Soup Dragon, great point.

Thanks Jamundo86 but I think if I were to switch them it would be to other black or maybe grey wheels.

And thanks for the DM Miles, I can’t reply to you because I’m too new to the forum but I’ve got your details and will be in touch if I did decide to switch.

And thanks for the other comments and DMs.
Post #1021752 19th Jan 2024 10:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1