Home > A-Plan Insurance > First time in years...UPDATE. CHUFFED
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
GREENI

United Kingdom 
First time in years...UPDATE. CHUFFED
I’ve championed A-Plan for years.
Even today a mate text me to tell me he’d renewed for his two Golf GTI’s today, after i’d recommended them to him.

I rang today to insure another Defender and was asked ‘will you be carrying hazardous goods’ and ‘is it sign written’.
A bit bizarre! Then the quote was higher than usual and where they’d normally try and do it cheaper (and usually do) the guy just give me a load of waffle, telling me that i’m at risk as i’ll be using the car more than my other vehicle!
A few questions asked were weird.
‘Will you still be using it for SD&P and will (Mrs Greeni) be commuting in it?... That's never been the case before, as I always commute in my cars, so is that what they had in the past?
So for the first time ever, i hung up a little puzzled.

I will add... they’ve usually been VERY friendly and accommodating.... maybe just a Friday afternoon situation.
He did say, when i put my personal plate on it, there’ll be no additional fee.

I RANG BACK WEEK LATER, VERY SMOOTHLY SWAPPED THE PLATE OVER. HAPPY

Last edited by GREENI on 19th Jun 2020 2:09pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #836851 12th Jun 2020 6:57pm
corgi1

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I tried to deal with them once, never again too much of a pain, must have had the same bloke, still really happy with NFU great price and excellent service.
Post #836854 12th Jun 2020 7:02pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I still gave them my business Laughing
Post #836862 12th Jun 2020 7:55pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
corgi1 wrote:
I tried to deal with them once, never again too much of a pain, must have had the same bloke, still really happy with NFU great price and excellent service.

The exact opposite of my experience of NFU who were useless and only interested in selling us home insurance and life insurance rather than getting the details right on our policy.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #836872 12th Jun 2020 9:09pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Was that the Thatcham office Greeni?
Post #836881 12th Jun 2020 9:41pm
Whirly90

England 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Keswick Green
I renewed my 110 policy a few weeks ago and, because of the positive feed back on here, i called A-Plan. The lady i spoke to was polite, friendly and very efficient but couldn't even offer me a quote. I wanted an agreed value policy and they couldn't offer me one because my 110 is not garaged overnight. Adrian Flux have never asked for that so i stayed with them.
Post #836891 12th Jun 2020 10:39pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Huttopia wrote:
Was that the Thatcham office Greeni?

Yeah, number saved in my phone for years.

I used to use NFU’s office in Betley, they told me they stopped doing vehicle insurance!
Post #836917 13th Jun 2020 6:29am
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
I switched to NFU last month after being with A-plan for years due to big price increase and issues with minor mods that were listed on previous years..
Post #836940 13th Jun 2020 8:59am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Insurance is, deliberately I think, a black art. I've moved to A Plan this year as they were able to give me a competitive quote for the first time, having tried a couple of times in the past. Non of the mods that I've made were an issue at all. I guess it depends on specific circumstances and requirements though.

I didn't have any questions about hazardous goods and sign writing despite mine being a USW, although I do seem to remember similar questions from Admiral a couple of years ago. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #836948 13th Jun 2020 9:26am
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
What type of defender is it?

By the questions asked, it sounds like it's registered with the insurance brokers as a van/commercial vehicle.

This can be to benefit of some who own vans for work as you will get a cheaper insurance, but for those who don't, it can cause a jump in their premiums.

My USW was insured through a car insurance for £543 or through a van policy for £187.

you can guess which one it's insured as.

A commercial vehicle can be insured through commercial inurance and stated as ' social use ' vehicle only, ie not for work purposes!
Post #836954 13th Jun 2020 10:50am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
LRA - are you actually allowed to use the term "Black Art" these days? Rolling with laughter

(I do agree with you though) Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #836969 13th Jun 2020 12:12pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Blimey, hadn't thought of it like that Shocked I was thinking in the magical sense Confused Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #836993 13th Jun 2020 3:41pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I don't know anything much about insurance other than I have always had to pay over the odds because of a pre-existing medical condition.

But I have realised that some of the questions you are asked do sometimes seem bizarre. In the bad old days, I had to answer loads of questions on the medical condition which I don't think they are allowed to do these days.

Badger 110, I was denied commercial insurance as the vehicle wasn't being used commercially Rolling Eyes

I think I have told the story on here before. It was Direct Line. I spent half hour going through all the questions to be told that it wasn't being used commercially so please ring our car line (I too have a Utility 110). I then spent 20 minutes answering questions to be told that they had no details of a Utility Station Wagon and could not provide me with a quote. No idea why their commercial people didn't bat an eyelid about it being a Utility Station Wagon?
Post #837005 13th Jun 2020 6:07pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
USW's are classed as commercial vehicles, i believe it's to do with the weight carrying ability being the same as a pick up. Even if you don't use it for commercial use, you can still insure it that way.

Here might be a grey area as i had 9+ years NCB on commercial vehicles as i used them for work, and this was used against my premium. They knew i have used commercial insurance for some time, however i had to say i would not use the vehicle for any work related usage, even visiting clients

They would insure me on commercial insurance, but i wasn't allowed to use it commercially (as long as i had it as social use only)

Each insurance broker is different as the following year they wouldn't insure me commercially, but another firm did ( i think it was Hastings that year ).

Now i inusre it as a car ( even though it's technically a commercial vehicle ) through NFU although that's in contension due to the modifications making it a camper.... Laughing

You have to ring around and tbh it's a pot luck scenario these days.

This is why i asked what model Greeni has...if it's a USW or pick up or was registered as such, then the questions he was asked would relate to it being a commercial vehicle.
Post #837049 13th Jun 2020 10:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1