↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Quality control
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Stephen Park

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 HT Indus Silver
Quality control
We have just taken delivery of a First Edition model which joins a 2004 Defender Td5 and a 2016 Range Rover Sport in our family. First impressions are that this is a superb vehicle that's capable, comfortable, refined and spacious with the d240 engine performing better than expected for a car of this size and weight. However, there are a few minor quality issues which buyers should check before delivery, listed below:
A-pillar plastic trim loose
Plastic side protection mouldings fixed to bottom of doors don't appear properly bonded with uneven gaps between the plastic and the door metalwork
Fitment of window rubbers and door alignment poor for a 'premium' product
Small marks on interior trim components
Plus... delivered with no spare wheel cover as ordered which is apparently on back order with no delivery date available

I'd be interested to know if any other owners of early cars have encountered any issues?

Last edited by Stephen Park on 11th Jun 2020 10:27pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #836673 11th Jun 2020 10:11pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I’d be taking that straight back to the dealers Whistle 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #836674 11th Jun 2020 10:21pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
It's nice that they have managed to keep some of the old defender characteristics in the new one Laughing
Post #836675 11th Jun 2020 10:26pm
Tim in Scotland

Sulisuli, in Scotland you cannot do that as officially dealers are closed as we still have full lock down and can only travel more than 5 miles from home for essential shopping and medical reasons

Stephen, welcome to the forum, I’m taking delivery of a First Ed Tomorrow from Pentland Newbridge so thanks for the heads up on things to look for. Just this morning I got a email from the salesman confirming that they had the various dealer supplied accessories I asked for in their hands as on Monday when they spoke to me the Classic mud flaps, spare wheel cover and aluminium front bash plate I had asked them to supply and fit had not arrived yet at their parts department but they were hopeful they would have them by Wednesday to fit today, the only accessories I wanted that they did have in stock were the waterproof seat covers.......... they weren’t certain on Monday if the other bits were on back order or not, so press your Dealer for them unless I got the last spare wheel cover from Solihull central stores or they took the one that was in the back seats of the demo car I drove last Thursday and fitted it to my car! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 12th Jun 2020 9:04am. Edited 3 times in total
Post #836678 11th Jun 2020 10:31pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
If it was me and the dealer was closed I would be telling them to come back and collect after all they were happy to deliver it weren’t they.

Hope your delivery goes well tomorrow and it’s all you hope it to be Tim Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #836680 11th Jun 2020 10:39pm
Stephen Park

Thanks Tim and hope all goes well with the collection of your First Edition and that the accessories are present and correct!
Post #836682 11th Jun 2020 10:49pm
Tim in Scotland

It’s an essential shopping trip Whistle
I’ll post something about how it goes but there is no hand over by the salesman ............ and I have a fault before I‘ve even seen the car - having owned several cars with the Incontrol Remote App I was already registered with the system and only needed the newest version of the app - the one that allows remote engine starting to allow cold morning pre-heating of the car etc. I went through all the LR pre-registration and got logged in using my old password and was emailed confirmation of my details and the correct VIN and registration plate details.......... since then all I get on the app when I try to log in is “Email / user name or password not recognised, please try again” - been trying now for 2 days and mentioned it to the salesman who is going to take a look tomorrow........... I wondered if the car itself had not been set up/ PDI’d by noon today..... which could be the reason Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #836684 11th Jun 2020 10:50pm
Tim in Scotland

Stephen are you a member of SGRC by any chance? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #836686 11th Jun 2020 10:56pm
Stephen Park

Tim,
We had the same issues. The dealer talked us through a remote reset and then the new app was installed and registered via a different email address which keeps the Defender and the additional features separate from any other vehicles.
The app update is very good, with high quality route plotting and the remote start function.
The ‘socially distant’ handover is sadly a complete non-event but the owners’ manual app is good and easy to use.
Not a member of SGRC.
Cheers
Stephen
Post #836692 11th Jun 2020 11:25pm
Tim in Scotland

BTW SGRC = Scottish Green Road Club - an off-road club for Land Rover of all types, we do drives out on private tracks all over the Central Belt and some a bit further afield, non damaging, non-challenging (you can usually bypass those if you don’t feel up to it) family days out on the hills and in the forests. Nothing competitive or requiring any special equipment other than a camera, warm clothes and a picnic (OK a suitable tow rope is desirable!). The club also has a subsidiary club that members are automatically made a member of that has access to some great farmland near Bathgate / Torphican to train owners how to use their cars safely and on a big more challenging ground. Www.scotgrc.co.uk
The sites we use are places like the Clyde Wind Farm, Forrest Estates in Galloway, numerous routes around SSE Hydro dams, Forestry Commission closed access tracks, several private estates who give permission to use their private shooting tracks when it isn’t shooting season etc etc owners have every sort of Land Rover from a 1948 Series 1 through to now New Defender, RRS’s starting to be more frequently seen but plenty of L322 FFRRs, Disco 3and 4’s but D5 is a feared beast on a run, loads of every era of Land Rover and Land Rover Defender, Freelanders and Disco Sports. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #836715 12th Jun 2020 9:12am
Silver Back

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Coniston Green
Re: Quality control
Stephen Park wrote:
We have just taken delivery of a First Edition model which joins a 2004 Defender Td5 and a 2016 Range Rover Sport in our family. First impressions are that this is a superb vehicle that's capable, comfortable, refined and spacious with the d240 engine performing better than expected for a car of this size and weight. However, there are a few minor quality issues which buyers should check before delivery, listed below:
A-pillar plastic trim loose
Plastic side protection mouldings fixed to bottom of doors don't appear properly bonded with uneven gaps between the plastic and the door metalwork
Fitment of window rubbers and door alignment poor for a 'premium' product
Small marks on interior trim components
Plus... delivered with no spare wheel cover as ordered which is apparently on back order with no delivery date available

I'd be interested to know if any other owners of early cars have encountered any issues?

"They're all like that sir." Whistle
Post #836720 12th Jun 2020 9:58am
RDR

United Kingdom 
will be very useful to start a collection snag thread as people start finding the niggles with no comments just facts of peoples findings. There were some very useful ones on the disco site about what bits of trim to check etc it helped a lot of peoples collection experience. I recall with one of my D4s there was a phase of the front under trim not fitting, people were losing it soon after collection. Thanks to the thread I pre warned my dealer who ensured the had 'fettled' it in PDI. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #836722 12th Jun 2020 10:11am
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
^^ sounds like a good idea. If you see the Powerful UK wheel change video on the main new defender discussion thread ( https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic63926-3060.html ), he thinks the wheel chocks might be missing - so that might be worth a new owner checking Thumbs Up
Post #836783 12th Jun 2020 3:10pm
Tim in Scotland

Well my spare wheel cover is also on back order and still cannot log into InControl remote from my iPhone but can from the LR website on a laptop........
OK, QC, I had a good pull at both A pillar trims, not at all loose
Checked the lower door protection - all nicely aligned and well stuck on, no uneven glueing etc
Checked all the window rubbers and door frames for alignment and all OK

I’ll post first impressions in the main 2020 thread but this isn’t like any Defender I’ve ever driven before, more FFRR..........
Here’s the old with the new

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #836794 12th Jun 2020 3:56pm
Stephen Park

The car looks good - great colour combination - and glad the quality control is up to scratch on your car.

Dealer got back in touch today and car booked in for a week on Wednesday to have issues hopefully resolved.
Post #836823 12th Jun 2020 5:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>