Ireland 
So it's back to the lube again... 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #836238 9th Jun 2020 9:57pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
No, just don't spin the drill too fast. There are guidelines for how fast drills should turn. Bigger the drill the slower it is, quite easy to find with a bit of Google.

Getting a drill bit hot will dull it but depends on a lot more factors as well. For what you're doing just go at it. My sharp drills would have made a very lightweight bumper with no lube in the time its taken me to type this Laughing

Generally speaking slow at possible for steel is fine but then it's a balancing act between torque breaking your wrist if you have a good drill or the drill snapping if it's small. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #836266 10th Jun 2020 2:17am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Re: Cutting oil
spudfan wrote:
I know cutting oil must be specifically formulated for the job but if I wanted to drill into a Defender bumper and had no cutting oil to hand would engine oil or gear oil do as a substitute?

Getting back to the original question.

Cutting fluid is an oil or animal fat based product that emulsifiers have been added to, allowing water to mix with it, the oil/fat allow lubrication and the water is the cooling agent.

Use the lightest grade of oil you have if you concerned about damaging the drill bit and has been said use the correct drill speed. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #836287 10th Jun 2020 9:42am
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
Being an ex-fabricator and having drilled lots of holes I can say having something to keep the drill cool is no bad thing. It is easy to overheat a drill bit, as has been said, by it turning too fast.

However, that is not the only thing. Too much or to little pressure also has an impact. Too little and the drill is likely to spin fast, get hot and damage it. Too much pressure and the drill could cut too deep and chip the cutting edge. Both will require the drill to be sharpened, the latter being the more difficult to address.

I find that dipping the bit into oil makes damage to it less likely.

I once had to drill a lot of holes in some stainless steel sheets. I blunted several bits before I understood I was not going to have enough to complete the task. We managed to get some cutting oil and I filled a small cap with some of the oil. I dipped it into the oil and started on the holes. As the oil burned off the bit I stopped and dipped it into the oil again. The difference between using the oil and not was huge.

One thing I noted was as you dip the bit into the oil it deposits small metal fragments into it. As such I keep a small container with my cutting oil in it as I would not want to contaminate the main oil.

Another thing to do is pulse the drill. This keeps the revs down and and also allows a slight bit of cooling.

And finally, as you start to penetrate the steel be careful of putting too much pressure on. If you start to penetrate too quickly it can chip the cutting edge of the drill. Sometimes it will snatch and break your drill bit or wrench your arm. Or if the steel is not secure it could make it spin and act a little bit like a rotary lawn mower blade.

I have used different kinds of oils. The main thing is to keep the bit cool. Dipping the bit helps with this.

Sorry, I have gone on a bit!!
Post #836413 10th Jun 2020 8:20pm
Silvertoolbox

United Kingdom 
And if its stainless, don't let the dril rub or it'll work harden and you'll be b*****ed.
High speed steel drills can get pretty hot and stay sharp. Carbon steel, not so much.
As noted above, a soluble oil for mostly cooling but for a one off any light oil or wd40 would do. Ex scottish & southern 110 Td5 van (shed) with PTO driven winch (L-R special vehicles)
Before that, Disco 1, Freelander 1, 26105382 80" with a 1600cc (not much slower)
Post #836431 10th Jun 2020 9:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12