Home > In Car Electronics > Which Double DIN Headunit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bish

2002 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Which Double DIN Headunit
A quick question.

Fitting a Double DIN headunit to my Defender. It needs to have reversing camera input, DAB, Apple Car play etc.

Can any of them fit or do I need to fit a shallow unit. There is a unit on Mudstuff but I not mad on the JVC stuff for some reason.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Bish
Post #836090 9th Jun 2020 9:59am
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Kenwood make the same JVC headunit. Which ever you buy make sure its short body. Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #836093 9th Jun 2020 10:27am
siglo

Kuwait 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
I have the JVC unit from Mudstuff and it has been working fine. Kenwood also have a version of that unit. I also came across an alpine double DIN unit but the part that extends from the back is only single DIN. It should work just find but I'm not sure. That would be a good option albeit pricey if you want built in SAT NAV. I don't know if they make other versions of it without the SAT NAV. The JVC & Kenwood both don't have built in SAT NAV. I'd stay away from full double DIN units since the space is very tight behind the center fascia.

Which ever unit you decide to go with, don't forget to connect the dimming cable. I did not do that on the first install and it got annoying manually adjusting the brightness of the unit each night. The stock LR harness did not include a cable to control the brightness so I had to add a pin to the adapter I got for the JVC unit. You can see some info of my JVC install in this thread.

This is the type of Alpine units I've mentioned:

Post #836311 10th Jun 2020 12:34pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

I wanted

Dab Radio
Bluetooth phone
Camera input
Android auto

I went for this Pioneer one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-SPH-DA230...&psc=1

the a Dab aerial that I fitted to the rear skylight window.

Its a double din and full sized back so its tight... but even not I have had it out a few times adding my amp wires and 3 x sets of RCA leads plus Camera, it all fits.... Just Thumbs Up

Great radio so far, I can play Amazon music straight off it, Dab plus is great, I can talk to it to send Texts, reversing camera. All good.

Depends if you have any loyalty to brands I guess, I would have gone for Sony but they didn't do one at the time with the features I wanted,

Click image to enlarge
Post #836316 10th Jun 2020 1:05pm
whiteley5

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Stacey007 wrote:
I went for this Pioneer one

Did you have to make any modifications to the clock or behind the dash to make a full-size unit fit?
Post #836336 10th Jun 2020 3:03pm
siglo

Kuwait 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Hi Stacey007,

I like your AC vents, they look really nice. They seem to have aluminum inserts, am I correct? Do they improve anything over the stock ones besides the look?

I'd appreciate if you can share a link of where you got them from. They look like some of the ones fitted to Mercedes cars.
Post #836339 10th Jun 2020 3:19pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

No modifications to the plastic behind the dash, its tight but fits. Its not 100% fit mind the bit that houses the clock does not sit flush. I will look at how I can better this at some point but I've took it out enough recently upgrading my speakers etc.

The vents are from a Mercedes A class (the newer not latest one) if that makes sense. you do have to trim the vents slightly and then push them in. They seems to offer a little bit more movement than the original ones but to be honest I did it for looks not function Rolling with laughter

Thumbs Up
Post #836397 10th Jun 2020 7:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1