↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > The Retread Question....
Would you Change?
Yes
21%
 21%  [7]
No
78%
 78%  [25]
Maybe/Not Sure
0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes: 32

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Zee

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
The Retread Question....
Simple Question : Would you use a retreaded all terrain tyre (to UK/EN Regulations)

Having just fitted 4 new Continental Cross Contact AT’s to my 110 2.2 Puma, I sat looking at both the bill, and the actual tyres. Considering the amount worn away (14mm of tread to ~3mm) and the weight loss (less than 10%) is seems very wasteful.

You would use 10% of a can of paint and then chuck it, or eat the top 5 biscuits from a pack and dispose of the rest? Commercial vehicles, aviation and other industries use retreaded tyres with economic, environmental and commercial benefits.

If a UK/EN spec. quality retreaded AT tyre was easily available in common Defender sizes, at a sensible price point would you make the switch?

(This is pure curiosity, I have no links with any tyre or rubber manufactures or associations) Zaid-M
www.DefencePhotos.com
2014 Defender 110 Utility, 2.2 Puma, Indus Silver
Not just transport more like a religion
Post #835905 8th Jun 2020 11:02am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
From a pure safety point of view, I would be happy with them. I was involved in a study into HGV tyre failures and it transpired that the failure rate is practically the same for retreads as it is for non-retreads.

My question mark is more around the feel and performance you might get. Can a retread manufacturer guarantee that if you buy four tyres, the four carcasses will be from the same original type of tyre? If not, could that make strange handling if you have effectively got a BFG carcass on one corner, a cooper on the other etc? Each new tyre manufacturer will have a different approach to their carcass design/stiffness etc. Would you fit four different brands of new tyre to your car?

Depending on your view and vehicle use, the above m ay not be an issue, buit it's worth thinking about I think. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #835908 8th Jun 2020 11:16am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
No, I wouldn't. But I run BFG Muds and change them when they are down to around 8 mm of tread, at which point they are fine on the road but starting to become deficient off road.

Usually there is a ready market for tyres with this much tread through the usual outlets.

Incidentally I have been known to eat one biscuit out of the pack and bin the rest, but that was a packet of chocolate coconut Oreos and I should have known better! I'm not keen on chocolate flavourings, hate coconut (and question whether it is in fact food), and as for Oreos, well, not one of the USA's greatest inventions! Before anyone asks, I was given a packet by someone who I can only assume wanted me dead. Shocked
Post #835926 8th Jun 2020 12:48pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
At least in Chile, absolutely NOT.
Retreaded tyres are not subject to any normative and most of the companies to do that tends to do at this own way. So, the results can vary a lot from one tyre to other. I will not risk myself with the only thing that touch the ground in my car.
Probably in other countries the experience is different.

Cheers! Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #835948 8th Jun 2020 2:40pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Cant really comment on the tyre question, but was put off retreads as a child having travelled through the near miss scenario of one delamintaing on the caravan my Dad was towing at the time. Luckily we had a handy place to change, plus a set of clean pants with us.

What I do know, is that in our house I'm lucky to any biscuits, what with the plague of locusts (aka children) that live here Laughing 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #835949 8th Jun 2020 2:43pm
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Simple answer is no.

Click image to enlarge
 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #835979 8th Jun 2020 6:35pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I am probably a similar age as Rosco and remember the retreads of the 70's.

I did drive a Mini Metro about for 6-7000 miles on retreads around 30 years ago. It was cheap hire car and they (the tyres) performed well, unlike the Metro that spat oil onto our drive - ended up driving it without oil on the dipstick and it didn't miss a beat Laughing

I understand the environmental bit, but tyres can be ground up and used in road surfaces and to make playground surfaces, and what would all the farmers use to hold their plastic sheets down on their silage? I think that in the whole scheme of things, fresh rubber on my wheels every time for me Thumbs Up
Post #835981 8th Jun 2020 6:44pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
No remould/retreads for me based on trying to save a quid or two in the past and suffering from de-lamination after under 10k miles Rolling Eyes Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #835982 8th Jun 2020 7:00pm
Tim in Scotland

Never again - had a similar experience to Mash with a Grizzly Claw tyre that appeared to have got a bit warm and delaminated on a long (2 hour) road drive. They were horrendously noisey and set up horrendous vibrations through the body. Replaced them with set of BFG MT’s that are still on the wagon and are quiet and smooth compared to the Grizzlies Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #835996 8th Jun 2020 8:58pm
Roger

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Java Black
How quickly are you going through your tyres??

On large commercial vehicles where they really rack up the mileage then it makes sense but if your tyres last longer than 5 years then the sidewalls will be well past their best by the time you get through the re-tread. As painful as it might be throwing away 2/3rds of the biscuits it would be worse to replace the top two only to find the rest of the pack were soggy! Now, where are the biscuits?! Rolling with laughter
Post #836001 8th Jun 2020 9:36pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
Tried them once on my Volvo V70 in 2007 - they were made by Colway and I thought would be a safe bet. Sadly they were un-balanceable and out of round so were quickly binned and replaced with new. I believe they were manufactured when Colway were going through financial difficulties.

I wouldn't bother using remoulds again. Tyres just aren't so expensive as to make it worth the risk in my opinion.
Post #836007 8th Jun 2020 10:28pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
As well as the safety factor which is very important they could destroy the wing also at the very least providing you didn’t have a complete disaster of an RTA and vehicle write off.

I don’t think it’s worth the risk at all. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #836011 8th Jun 2020 10:47pm
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I appreciate most of the comments are based on older experiences, and the question seemed to suggest a possibly new higher standard...but I voted no earlier. As per most other comments, I would find something else to save money on first. And as someone mentioned, I wouldn't even run different make/model tyres and if necessary buy 4 brand new to get a matching set.
Post #836014 8th Jun 2020 10:57pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I only buy premium brand tyres, BFG on the Ibex, Michelin CrossClimate on the Volvo, original Continental on the 110.
Those 4 small patches of rubber in contact with the road do all of the braking, accelerating and cornering.
No point keeping everything else in top condition, then fitting cr@p tyres.

If it was for example, an older classic LR, that only did a few hundred miles a year in fine weather, I would consider a cheaper/budget brand. Much better to have a set of brand new matching budget tyres than a set of remoulds that you don't know how old they are, what they originally were, or how they have been used.
Post #836024 8th Jun 2020 11:44pm
Defender SVX

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Soft Top Santorini Black
Horses for courses! Remoulds and retreads have come a long way since the 70s.

I can remember my dad buying second hand Colway “family killers” for a Metro in the 90s and preformed perfectly for several years on the shopping / school runs and even some spirited driving when I passed my test Whistle

I had some Insa turbos on my 300 TDI 90 for a while and again preformed perfectly in normal use, I even put them on the 50th V8 at one point again okay for normal use.

Now would I put them on my Focus RS Rolling with laughter not a chance neither would I put budgets on!

Now at work I’ve seen remoulds on the drive axle on a 44 ton artic last 225000 kms and branded tyres a little longer before recutting also I’ve seen both start to delaminate before 100000 kms. Yet our company has a strict policy of well branded new tyres only on the steering axle and when it’s time for a recut they are then moved to the middle lifting axle. Formerly mao99999
16 Focus RS Nitrous Blue.
11 FFRR TDV8 Vouge SE Black Black.
08 DEFENDER SVX SOFT TOP (SUPERB)
08 DEFENDER 110 DCPU Stornoway grey (Overland Exploration Unit)
05 Fiesta ST 150 Van
04 Jaguar XKR 4.2 Supercharged V8
02 DEFENDER 90 TD5 (next years soft top project)
95 DEFENDER 110 CSW 300 TDi Phoenix black
95 DEFENDER 90 HT Monti Carlo blue COUNTY 300 TDi
67 109" SERIES 2a TUNED 200 TDI
64 DAVID BROWN 990 rat look
55 86" SERIES 1
Post #836038 9th Jun 2020 6:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>