↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Changing from alloys to steel wheels query
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Changing from alloys to steel wheels query
Do I need to change the wheel nuts as well when putting steel wheels back on my 90? I don’t recall changing them when I went from modular steels to Zu alloys but that was a long time ago! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #835697 7th Jun 2020 2:56pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Yes you do.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #835705 7th Jun 2020 3:49pm
Tim in Scotland

Thanks Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #835833 7th Jun 2020 10:19pm
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
Not something that I have ever done as I’ve only had steelies on my Landys, but I have definitely seen people using wheelnuts designed for alloys with steel wheels. The ‘alloy’ wheelnuts are chamfered at the end and can be used to secure steel wheels. I can’t say for certain if the chamfered angle is appropriate and therefore safe for this purpose but it can be done. Obviously wheelnuts designed for steel wheels can’t be used to secure alloys though.
Post #835844 7th Jun 2020 10:57pm
donmacn

^^^ Just on the point above - I've accumulated a hodge-podge of alloy wheel nuts. Some do have the chamfer, but some don't - and have just a flat face towards the hub.

I agree that the chamfered ones would probably do the job in a tight spot, but not the flat ones. Worth checking compatibility.

I can see that it might be useful to have the chamfered ones if using alloys, but perhaps carrying a steel wheel as a spare, or second spare. I had a think about this at one point when I was considering a steel spare instead of an alloy just for 'security' purposes, to make it less attractive to any thieving so and sos. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #835907 8th Jun 2020 11:07am
VVS210

United Kingdom 
As I recall from back in the day when I had a 200 Tdi Disco with alloy road wheels but a steel spare, the standard alloy wheel nuts had a chamfer at the base so you could use them to fit the steel spare if you needed to. Can't remember if there were any warnings in the handbook about reduced driving speed or distance with them fitted though? personally I wouldn't use the alloy wheel nuts permanently on steel wheels as they look carp!
Post #835932 8th Jun 2020 1:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1