↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Engine issue? DPF issue? rpm is kind of weird....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Gehard Z

Japan 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Tamar Blue
Engine issue? DPF issue? rpm is kind of weird....
Hello. Greeting from a 2014 defender 110 owner in Japan!

It happened twice today....
I experienced same problem several times last summer (but it never happened in winter).
The sound of engine changed after running for 1 hour or maybe longer.
It is difficult to describe the changed sound but I think it sounds like when DPF lights on (but at that moment the DPF light was off).
I stopped the car to check the dashboard and found the rpm was around 800rpm which was a little higher than usual (around 700rpm?). No warning light on and the temperature was normal.
And I can feel a power down from the engine when I went back to road. Honestly not really very bad power down on urban roads but I can just feel it.
Then I continued to drive and after about 15 minutes everything, I mean the sound, the rpm, the power, they returned to normal state....
I visited my dealer last summer to check the engine but at that moment the problem did not happen and they did not find any error code in ECU so they told me they are not sure what caused this problem.

Anyone experienced same problem?

Picture of dashboard

Click image to enlarge
Post #834270 30th May 2020 5:39pm
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
Hello member in Japan.

Sounds like the engine management system was running the DPF regeneration cycle. This happens automatically when you are on a longish run and are travelling above 50 mph.
The DPF light on would indicate that you are only doing short runs and the DPF needs regenerating.

Hopefully someone better qualified will comment soon.
Post #834272 30th May 2020 6:01pm
Gehard Z

Hello Balvaig!
Thank you for your advice!
I have heard TDCI can do DPF regeneration cycle automatically but have no idea how it works.
I don't have much experience and knowledge about diesel engine...
So on defender the cycle will cause a little rpm up and power down?
And I think I have never experienced that in winter does it mean the frequency of DPF regeneration is affected by weather?
Thank you again!
Post #834337 31st May 2020 4:22am
Balvaig

Hello again,
DPF regeneration is complicated. I have enclosed part of the Workshop Manual which explains what happens, and might explain your experience.If your orange DPF light is coming on it indicates that the DPF requires a regeneration, usually because the engine has not got up to temperature due to short journeys.

The active regeneration process takes up to 20 minutes to complete. The first phase increases the DPF temperature to 500°C (932°F). The second phase further increases the DPF temperature to 600°C (1112°F) which is the optimum temperature for particle combustion. This temperature is then maintained for 15-20 minutes to ensure complete incineration of the particles within the DPF. The incineration process converts the carbon particles to carbon dioxide and water.
The active regeneration temperature of the DPF is closely monitored by the DPF software to maintain a target temperature of 600°C (1112°F) at the DPF inlet. The temperature control ensures that the temperatures do not exceed the operational limits of the turbocharger and the catalytic converter. The turbocharger inlet temperature must not exceed 830°C (1526°F) and the catalytic converter brick temperature must not exceed 800°C (1472°F) and the exit temperature must remain below 750°C (1382°F).
During the active regeneration process the following ECM controlled events occur:
The turbocharger is maintained in the fully open position. This minimizes heat transmission from the exhaust gas to the turbocharger and reduces the rate of exhaust gas flow allowing optimum heating of the DPF. If the driver demands an increase in engine torque, the turbocharger will respond by closing the vanes as necessary.
The throttle is closed as this assists in increasing the exhaust gas temperature and reduces the rate of exhaust gas flow which has the effect of reducing the time for the DPF to reach the optimum temperature.
The EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve is closed. The use of EGR decreases the exhaust gas temperature and therefore prevents the optimum DPF temperature being achieved.
The glow plugs are occasionally activated for up to 40 seconds to provide additional heat to assist in raising the DPF temperature.
[/i]
Post #834347 31st May 2020 8:08am
Gehard Z

Hello Balvaig
Thank you so much for providing so many details. Bow down
If DPF regeneration can work automatically without warning light on I think it can explain my experience.
The problem does always happen during long distance driving.
I guess the power down what I felt may be caused by closed EGR or fully opened turbocharger?
It is not a big problem on urban roads but when I am driving on slopes the power down really Censored me off Razz
But what surprised me is I have talked to some defender drivers here but no one has same experience with me...
I doubt if I can find someone who have experienced same thing here Razz
Post #834453 31st May 2020 6:37pm
Balvaig

Hello Gehard Z

There is also passive regeneration.
Passive regeneration requires no special engine management intervention and occurs during normal engine operation. The passive regeneration involves a slow conversion of the particulate matter deposited in the DPF into carbon dioxide. This process is active when the DPF temperature reaches 250°C (482°F) and is a continuous process when the vehicle is being driven at higher engine loads and speeds.
Passive regeneration does not clear the DPF and eventually active regeneration is activated by the engine management system.

Active regeneration occurs approximately every 250 miles. During this process additional diesel is injected into the system increasing the temperature in the DPF.

All this should happen without any warning lights.

A DPF orange light indicates a problem ( usually caused by frequent short journeys when the engine doesn't get up to temperature) and then you should take a 20 minute or longer journey, preferably around 50 mph or over. This should cause active regeneration and clear the warning light.

Hope this is of help.
Post #834455 31st May 2020 7:00pm
Julie

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Hi - first of all there is a different idle speed if the car moves (ca. 850) or not (ca. 700)
Why are you so sure that your problem is related to the DPF ?
Did you exclude all other issues (EGR, injectors, ++) ?
Post #834565 1st Jun 2020 12:57pm
Gehard Z

Hello Julie
Thank you for your comment. Very Happy
Actually I am not very sure if it is related to DPF just I've experienced DPF light on last year and the changed sound really sounds like that time.
And everything always returns to normal state in about 15~20 min so I guess it may be caused by DPF regeneration.
About the rpm I mean when car stopped completely, neutral gear.
Post #834607 1st Jun 2020 4:23pm
Kevantlin

United Kingdom 
So sorry - what’s DPF
Post #834668 1st Jun 2020 8:24pm
Balvaig

Diesel Particulate Filter.
Fitted to Pumas with 2.2 engine.
Post #834680 1st Jun 2020 8:50pm
Kevantlin

United Kingdom 
Thank you
Post #834681 1st Jun 2020 8:52pm
Julie

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Gehard Z wrote:
just I've experienced DPF light on last year.

If was the amber DPF light, I’d have my DPF pressure sensors checked / tightened.
You may DIY because it’s just 2 nuts.
Post #834728 2nd Jun 2020 6:57am
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
do you use your car on short journeys if that's the case id give it a good run it may not be able to do a regen Smile
Post #834730 2nd Jun 2020 7:13am
Gehard Z

Julie wrote:
Gehard Z wrote:
just I've experienced DPF light on last year.

If was the amber DPF light, I’d have my DPF pressure sensors checked / tightened.
You may DIY because it’s just 2 nuts.

Thank you for your advice Smile
It just lighted on for twice last year but I think I will do a check next time.
But I checked the forum and found a lot of members said they are unaware of auto DPF regeneration so I am still not sure if the sound I heard is DPF regen or not.
Post #834737 2nd Jun 2020 8:36am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The sound does seem to vary a bit between vehicles, but what you've described matches my experience of auto regeneration. Unless the light comes on a lot, I wouldn't worry about it. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #834740 2nd Jun 2020 8:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>