↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Aquasteel rust converter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
Aquasteel rust converter
Aquasteel rust converter - has anyone used this on their chassis?

I am itching to get on with my truck and one of the top things I want to do is protect the chassis the best I can.

I will have to wire brush the chassis as my jetwash isn't working. I must admit I am not looking forward to this bit.

Next I had planned on painting on Aquasteel to convert the rust. Has anyone used this product? Please let me know your thoughts if you have. I really want to know if it peels like paint or if it's reaction with the rust makes a really strong bond.

After coating with the rust converter I have at least a couple of options. 1, paint with zinc oxide primer and then cost with Dinatrol or something similar. Or 2, Forget the zink oxide primer and just coat directly with Dinatrol.

I have plenty of zinc oxide primer but I am wondering if paint is the best idea as paint can flake off or worse, start to come off and form a trap for water to start rust creep behind the paint. I am not sure if red oxide is just more work for a potentially inferior result.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mick
Post #833217 25th May 2020 5:23am
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Everything you need, made in Britain, is available from here (as used by me):

www.bilthamber.com
Post #833228 25th May 2020 6:35am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I've used Aquasteel and it does exactly what it says on the bottle and does it well. I think most if not all modern rust converters now are tannic acid based and convert the rust to iron tannate, with a polymer overcoating, and to a great extent all such converters will be much the same.

I've also used dilute phosphoric acid for the same purpose in connection with heavy machinery restoration and needle-gunning or wet-blasting, followed by a dilute phosphoric acid wash, priming, undercoating, and top-coating, produced adhesion and protection results that exceed North Sea Offshore industry standards. Rather more hassle than you want, I suspect, though.

Tannic acid converters are generally pretty safe and benign, the older phosphoric and hydrochloric acid based converters are less idiot-friendly and tend to give off harmful fumes, etc. For this reason they are no longer particularly easy to obtain - we have to be protected from ourselves, after all. Keep the bad genes in the pool, and all that.
Post #833231 25th May 2020 7:06am
Mossberg

I have used the Aquasteel before and I have been happy with what it has done - but not under a land rover. I have not had the experience of it getting covered in mud and road grime. In your experience does it stay stuck to the steel?
Post #833233 25th May 2020 7:17am
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I recently used Aquasteel on a 109 chassis which was in very good condition apart from some areas of a light rusting. I used a rotary wire brush on the rusted areas then followed up with the Aquasteel which turned the rusted areas a dark blue/black tough conversion coating which is ideal for further painting.
Post #833242 25th May 2020 8:24am
driver

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I have just finished applying this to my 90 as part of a suspension and brakes refurbish, very easy to apply as it goes on white in color then turns black after a few minutes so you can see where you have missed,
2.5 ltrs did all of my 90 with one coat just need to decide on a topcoat now.

Here is a couple of after pictures

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This is before

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #833255 25th May 2020 9:07am
Mossberg

I am thinking the same for mine. Just can't decide if I put red oxide on first or straight to Dinatrol. I think if there is any chance of the red oxide peeling then it is better not putting it on! Rust forms where water sits and water sits behind peeling paint!
Post #833272 25th May 2020 11:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1