↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > New mobile phone Help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
New mobile phone Help
Have had to change my mobile phone and after 5 days of trying I'm about at the end of my temper with it all.

I need to move everything to the new phone and no matter what I try I cant mange it.

Does anyone know how to move apps and the rest over on Sony phones using one sim? Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #832571 22nd May 2020 11:09am
Matt110

United Kingdom 
I'm reading between the lines here so maybe i'm getting the wrong end of the stick, but transferring data across using a sim card just isn't effective any more. It used to work on older phones where each contact entry was a separate data item - i.e. the address was an item, the phone number etc, but in modern terms, that's very hard to do as all your contacts are stored as complete units with multiple entries in them.

Also not possible to transfer apps or any other data over using a sim card.

Sony phones are (best of my knoweldge) all Android, so by far and away the easiest way of doing it is to log into the google based apps and synchronise your phone to them, and then when you log in on the new phone - they're all there auto synchronised.

In terms of the apps - again most of them will synchronise to the cloud in your account, so the fastest and most efficient way of transferring between one phone and the next, is log into the app on the old phone, make sure it's synchronised and connected, then log in on the new one and it will download all the data. You'll have to download all the apps again individually and then sign in on all of them, but it's the safest way.

if you do it this way, you also avoid third party apps from the app store being able to read all your data and photos, etc, so they can transfer the data automatically.

Last thing i can think of is that android phones often have NFC based transfers for doing exactly this. I don't know about Sony's, but Samsungs come with an app called smart switch, which quite literally joins one to the other and transfers the lot across. Have a look in the app store if the first paragraph (logging in to the apps on the new phone) doesn't work. Fairly safe i think.
Post #832574 22nd May 2020 11:17am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
If it's Android... You have to do a backup to your Google account on your old phone. When you set up your new phone it should then ask you if you want to restore it from a Goggle backup. You give it your account details and all your apps and contacts etc, should get carried over. Your photos will too if you back those up to Google photos, but they will be sat in the cloud rather than physically on your new phone. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #832575 22nd May 2020 11:19am
ARC99

Thanks guys I'm trying the google way now.

Some of the ways Virgin Media suggest you need two sims to do and there so called support staff don't seem to understand this and Sony Xperia is about the same. Don't make old people mad.

Richard
Post #832578 22nd May 2020 11:26am
ARC99

Well you two were a great help, Bow down Bow down now all up and running.

Thanks Don't make old people mad.

Richard
Post #832583 22nd May 2020 11:48am
ARC99

now finished sorting apps

Found that all my contacts have disappeared or seem to, I know they are on the sim card but the problem is loading them Don't make old people mad.

Richard
Post #832610 22nd May 2020 1:33pm
Bluest

They should have been backed up to your Google account and brought across that way. On your old phone, go into Seetings - Accounts - Google and check that contacts are set to sync. If they aren't turn that option on, do a new back up and they should come across. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #832623 22nd May 2020 2:01pm
ARC99

For some reason even though I ticked all the boxes they did not appear.

Several hour not knowing what I was doing, I went back to my old phone and saved then to SD car some file or other the new phone kept telling me to go to contacts settings and up load but the phone does not have an upload feature in those settings.

I found on google support it mentioned a VCS file? (means nothing to me and to upload it, searched the SD card and found an old file with the contacts so I uploaded it and now some contacts. Don't make old people mad.

Richard
Post #832651 22nd May 2020 3:51pm
RoadForce

Netherlands 2000 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Coniston Green
Perhaps on the old phone, the contacts always resided on the SIM and were never imported as google contacts, so used straight off the SIM. In that case, you could see if there is an option to import the contacts from the SIM into google contacts. Defender 130 HCPU Td5 MY2000
Post #832652 22nd May 2020 3:56pm
ARC99

Message overnight from Google, " Your phone contacts backup from 22/05/20 is now ready to be restored" Clicked on restore and every single one is there some that I had even forgotten about.

It would be wonderful if someone came up with a simple system were by you could just copy everything from one phone to another without going through a third party system just like you can do hard drive to hard drive. Don't make old people mad.

Richard
Post #832800 23rd May 2020 8:30am
Bluest

Because Google wants to harvest all your data and sell what they learn. That’s the price for so much excellent “free” software. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #832803 23rd May 2020 8:38am
VVS210

United Kingdom 
ARC99 wrote:
It would be wonderful if someone came up with a simple system were by you could just copy everything from one phone to another without going through a third party system just like you can do hard drive to hard drive.

They have... they're called iPhones Whistle
Post #832809 23rd May 2020 8:55am
Tim in Scotland

Yep, I’ve just got a new iPhone SE to replace an ancient iPhone 6 and when setting it up it told me to back up the old phone and then place it near to the new phone, and off it went all on its own transferring everything from phone to phone without me touching anything, No cables or SIM cards needed - took about 20 minutes in total Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #832828 23rd May 2020 9:37am
ARC99

Tim,
Being of a certain age (over 65) and not having any children I rang my niece and nephew to ask for help prior to turning to the forum. "oh its easy just put them side by side and tell your old phone to copy to your new phone" me "! Okay what do I look for and what do I press" then they started telling me of which nothing made any sense then I told them it was a Sony and they fell silent which finished with "we don't know you will have to have a look on the internet".

I even resorted to printing off the instruction manual from the Sony site and it was of no use. Don't make old people mad.

Richard
Post #832831 23rd May 2020 9:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1