Home > Technical > Wabco ABS Pump - please help me to a conclusion - 2.4 Puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Matt_H

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Wabco ABS Pump - please help me to a conclusion - 2.4 Puma
Hi Folks,

So SWMBO's 2009 2.4 Defender has thrown the three lights of doom error (Handbrake, ABS, Traction Control) and the ABS stopped working.

Having poked around I have learned a few things, and thankfully my GAP IID tool for my Discovery 4 also reads the Defender:

Fault code is:

ABS-Brake Module

0x104 01,4 - Pump failure - 3 - Pump sticks

I've had the drivers seat out and been through all the fuses and Relays in there. I've also tested the 10 wires that go from the purple connector of the ABS ECU to the Pump&Valve Body Modulator under the bonnet. As an aside, 10 wires go into the P&VB, but 11 exit the purple connector, so I'm not sure where number 11 goes (I think it was white/orange).

Anyway, I can clear the code with the IID and then take it out for a road test. Everything is fine until I brake hard enough to fire up the ABS. It works fine briefly, but then the three lights come up again and we are back to square one. On checking, its the same fault code again. This is a repeatable process.

What next people - any ideas?

Many thanks in advance,
Matt

Last edited by Matt_H on 17th Aug 2023 1:00pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #996968 20th Jun 2023 6:59pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
In the Search function on here search 3 amigos . Lots of info on issue and various solutions.

Here are some in the tdci section https://www.defender2.net/forum/search.php...rch_time=0
Post #996981 20th Jun 2023 8:57pm
Matt_H

Thanks Ian,

I've been through most of those I reckon. I'm thinking that my work already has ruled out the chaffing / wiring issues that get a lot of posting time in threads, but I'm not entirely sure. Should I be tracking through the other connectors, or does the fact that I can consistently make the fault appear by hard braking suggest its the hardware, rather than an electrical issue. Not really been able to discern that from the threads so far.

Cheers,
Matt.
Post #996989 20th Jun 2023 10:03pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Is that just a generic OBD abs code I can’t find it are you sure that’s the right format? I thought those tools were just locked to a model or vin? Could be sending you down the rabbit hole can you take a screenshot?
Post #996995 20th Jun 2023 10:46pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
On a disco forum I found the following info.

the 4014 code (fault 4014 pump failure 3 sticking) could be either the fuse, the relay or worst the pump itself, which is part of the modulator and not replaceable. A sticking relay was the subject of a technical bulletin a long time ago on the discovery.

so it may be worth getting a new relay and trying that as it’s relatively cheap.

Worst case it’s an abs pump rebuild from someone like these guys https://www.ecutesting.com/product-catalog...avb176861/. And a awkward removal and refit job , see this topic, post half way down on removal https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic73307...ttle+valve
Post #996999 21st Jun 2023 1:27am
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Definitely worth checking all wiring and fuses for continuity, and relays for operation.
Also a relatively cheap but not so easy fix is replacing the shuttle valve (through wing vent).
Hopefully it’s not the pump (as it was on mine) but as said it can be done without removing wing etc. and ECU testing were fine for me.

Good luck and I hope it’s a cheap fix 👍
Post #997005 21st Jun 2023 7:00am
Matt_H

NickMc wrote:
Is that just a generic OBD abs code I can’t find it are you sure that’s the right format? I thought those tools were just locked to a model or vin? Could be sending you down the rabbit hole can you take a screenshot?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bx3cdh9q6oyzvfY89

The tools can be locked to a VIN, but also can work across multiple vehicles too.
Post #997017 21st Jun 2023 9:28am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I believe the GAP IIDTool will act as a generic OBD2 reader for most vehicles but only a full diagnostic tool for the specific vehicle(s) for which it has a VIN registered.

So getting detailed diagnostics for the Puma 2.4 , in particular the ABS , plus running tests, bleeding system etc will only likely be probable if you buy a license for your specific defender Puma and add it to your GAP IIDTool. Else find someone local with a Nanocom with a puma licence and that will give detailed diagnostics , tests and bleeding capabilities and is not vin locked.
Post #997043 21st Jun 2023 6:24pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
We find the earlier systems dont like periods of little use or lack of fluid changes usually a replacement abs modulator is the only long term cure.
Post #997145 22nd Jun 2023 3:17pm
Matt_H

Wabco options ?
Hi All, So having reached the conclusion that we're replacing the ABS Pump Module, I now need to find one. I'm not in a position to take the car off the road for a week or more to send the fitted unit to ecu-testing and have it repaired then re-fitted, so was going to buy a unit to swap in instead.

Here's the thing. The wabco unit fitted is a SRB500550 (wabco code: 478 407 023) and must be a replacement as its dated 2016. ecu-testing can't supply one of those as a recon unit as they don't have any. I think that the original unit would have been a SRB500540 (wabco code: 478 407 022) as this is the pre-cursive part, and actually looks completely identical but I don't know if they are interchangeable (ecu-testing have some of these ones on the shelf).

ecu-testing simply say to match the serial number you have, but does anyone here have any knowledge as to whether I can fit the 540 instead of the 550 ?

Just for extra confusion, the wabco part 478 407 023 actually has a few Land Rover part codes: SRB101552, SRB500390 and SRB500550 all seem to be this one Wabco unit.

Many thanks in advance : )

Last edited by Matt_H on 17th Aug 2023 9:03am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1004321 16th Aug 2023 10:19am
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Is this what you’re after? As in the ABS ECU?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155587344848?mk...media=COPY 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #1004331 16th Aug 2023 11:14am
Matt_H

Nope, sadly not.

This part:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295869411535

(only with the debate on part codes in my last post)

Cheers.
Post #1004462 17th Aug 2023 9:02am
Matt_H

Update:

Whilst awaiting a slot at the garage to have the ABS part replaced, I took the view that if the pump was a bit "stuck", then perhaps some hearty braking would help un-stick it. With the GAP tool I can reset the fault when it appears (as once the fault is there, the ABS doesn't work), so I spent a little bit of time on a quiet downhill lane, braking to get the ABS to run, then when the fault triggered I'd reset it and go again. After about 3-4 cycles the error just went away!

Drove it around for another 3-4 weeks without it re-appearing and then as the garage slot was coming up (service and a few of other things) asked them to flush all the brake fluid through and replace it. So far so good - ABS working really well and no issues since. Smile
Post #1011784 19th Oct 2023 2:26pm
DuncanS

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I had the same thing, but it wouldn't go away frustratingly, however one afternoon and a £30 Disco 2 ABS pump and we were back on the road. North Cumbria Search and Rescue - Team Leader
Post #1011790 19th Oct 2023 3:02pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Matt_H wrote:
Update:

Whilst awaiting a slot at the garage to have the ABS part replaced, I took the view that if the pump was a bit "stuck", then perhaps some hearty braking would help un-stick it. With the GAP tool I can reset the fault when it appears (as once the fault is there, the ABS doesn't work), so I spent a little bit of time on a quiet downhill lane, braking to get the ABS to run, then when the fault triggered I'd reset it and go again. After about 3-4 cycles the error just went away!

Drove it around for another 3-4 weeks without it re-appearing and then as the garage slot was coming up (service and a few of other things) asked them to flush all the brake fluid through and replace it. So far so good - ABS working really well and no issues since. Smile

Good result and lucky you 👍
Post #1012260 23rd Oct 2023 3:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1