Home > Australia & New Zealand > Overland Advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
trailbear

United Kingdom 
Overland Advice
Gents

At some point in the future my plan is to take an extended ( for as long as I am feasibly allowed to stay ) vehicle / overland tour of Australia and New Zealand using my own vehicle.
Over the years I have been lucky enough take many holidays in both countries which has given me the desire to return to overland / drive over an extended period of time.

I have recently acquired a low mileage 2014 110 CSW which I have to say that I am not particularly familiar with as yet and wonder how that will handle the extremes of temperature and terrain found in both countries compared to the 300tdi 110 CSW which I have owned over the last 15yrs.

The 300tdi is coming to the end of an extensive refurbishment which has seen it being stripped down to it's galvanised chassis and built from there up using new panels etc. The intention was to sell this vehicle as the driveway and garage are now becoming slightly crowded but I am wondering whether I should instead repurpose it for the above mentioned trip due to it being pretty basic in terms of just about everything compared to the Puma version.

I do not intend to make use of a roof top tent as I have a feeling that it wouldn't suit me as I would probably end up falling off or out of the darned thing in the middle of somewhere and get eaten by something!
It would be the intention to purchase an overland trailer ( yes I know expensive but a safer option for me ) to use for the purpose of the trips.

I should also add that the 2014 has an automatic transmission given that I can not longer utilise a clutch due to an ankle injury.

I know that there will be those that say why don't you purchase a vehicle in country but I would rather use a vehicle with which I have a known history and one that hasn't been round the planet 5 times. I am of the opinion that it would still be cheaper for me ship/ and export than to buy vehicles to utilise for the trip. Tentative enquiries with shippers have given me some figures to work with.

Apologies for the ramblings but if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions i would greatly appreciate them.
This is in the very early stages of researching rather than planning.

Regards
Post #830980 13th May 2020 10:55pm
beardiedog

England 2003 Defender 110 Td5 G4 Challenge Tangiers Orange
I can't really advise but what I can say is there is a lot of helpful advice on a Facebook group named 'Expedition Ready Defenders'. Lots of folks on there have done similar or know people that have. There is somthing you need to get before taking your car into Oz but I can't remember what it is but without it it's very expensive apparently. THis is a good read too https://trektooz.com/
Post #830988 14th May 2020 7:12am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Trailbear, sounds awesome. I too can't offer any advice on OLing in Oz and NZ. But I can allay any fears you may have of being eaten in NZ, it's unlikely. Their most vicious land based animal is only a rugby fan who's team has just lost a match, and to my knowledge when they're upset their default reaction doesn't include eating Scotsmen. You should be fine. Apart, of course, from the All Blacks who love chewing up and spitting out Scotsmen on the rugby field, even if only metaphorically. Enjoy the trip, two beautiful countries, especially (IMO) NZ. And don't forget the photos for the forum. We'll all (jealously) be waiting in anticipation. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #830996 14th May 2020 8:13am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I guess the first question to answer is can you convert the 300tdi to auto? If not, then that would seem to preclude using that vehicle.

There have been some reported issues with Puma's in high temp/high load circumstances going into limp mode. The solution seems to be to fit a bigger intercooler though, so not insurmountable.

That aside, there's no reason why the Puma wouldn't be suitable, assuming appropriate spares prep and some sort of decent diagnostic kit such as the IID. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #831002 14th May 2020 8:54am
R1200GS

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Just take the auto and enjoy yourself. It's not like OZ & NZ are third world countries and don't have spares, garages and mechanics. Both countries have Defenders driving around (although 100 times as many Toyota's Sad ) and plenty of them are Puma's.

My brother and I brought a 1996 Defender 130 off the internet in Oz last year and drove from Brisbane to Perth across the middle, it was a standard 300Tdi and we made it and had fun on the way. God knows how many owners it had and over 150k miles on the clock. Couple of young German guys are driving it now doing their trip.

By all means get the Ashcroft output shaft fitted, BAS intercooler and hoses plus a good service before you go but otherwise
all major towns have LR dealers and parts can be sourced quickly.

Join a rescue service if you want though you may need an address in the country concerned to do this.

The hardest step is the first one, after that its much easier.

Regards Dave

Click image to enlarge
Post #831043 14th May 2020 1:50pm
trailbear

United Kingdom 
Thanks Gents
I have to say that I would prefer to drive the Puma Defender as it is certainly a much better driving experience.
The 300 tdi can be converted but that would have to be a discussion with Ashcroft's as to the suitability of the autobox.
I should imagine that I would have to tune the 300tdi to accomodate this but that is not particularly difficult in itself.

I have spoken to Pete Bell re having the vehicle upgraded using his new dongle tuning method but might as well the whole hog and just install the intercooler and associated pipework as well.

As I say this is just in the early stages of the researching rather than the planning as yet so there is plenty time to ponder the options and associated difficulties of getting the vehicle into the countries mentioned.
Post #831058 14th May 2020 3:43pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
one of my friends has driven his puma from the UK to south America vai Mongolia and Russia and has just stoped traveling after being on the road for 18 months ...
We are planning to take our 2012 2.2 to Mongolian in a couple of years and will be keeping the engine, drive train and suspension as standard as possible, only upgrading the tyres to BFG ATRs to help with the terrain.
We have done some extended trips to Norway and other parts of Europe with the vehicle and having owned most variants in the past I feel the puma variant is the nicer vehicle to drive long distances with.

The bottom line is that just about any modern vehicle can do the trip nowadays - its what you are most comfortable driving.

Maybe look at getting a camping trailer when in Aus as they are very popular over there and may be cheaper than setting up one here then shipping over ... Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #831082 14th May 2020 6:15pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I’d be looking at getting in touch with the local Landy clubs where you want to go. They’ll know all about what prep to do on your vehicle, places to go and who can help if you have any mechanical problems. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #831113 14th May 2020 8:11pm
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Having travelled in NZ before, it's not being eaten that I would be cautious of, but being bitten.... The sand flies were a persistent nightmare and realistically the repellent only works for some people - seemingly at random you can have a skin type that they simply cannot resist, even through repellent!! I seem to be one of them. My wife doesn't!

Which brings me to my other point.... You say you are concerned about falling out of a roof tent and being eaten, they do provide a few other benefits, that being that they take seconds to set up rather than minutes (the difference could well be approximately 20 sand fly bites and trust me that's a difference worthwhile having!!!) and also once set up can be adjusted to provide an instant awning room underneath if you buy one that can be wrapped up in the upper cover. That gives you in a very short period of time, a large cubic meter space thats protected from flies.

Other thought, in Australia... the vast majority of things that want to bite, eat, nibble on and amuse themselves with your consumption are floor based. Snakes/spiders etc. A roof tent reduces likelihood of meeting such a creature ten fold I would have thought. Particularly snakes.

The 4WD Action guys from youtube always seem to sleep in swags but they raise them off the floor on a stretcher bed wherever possible. Its rare to see anyone sleeping on the floor.

Sorry that wasn't really the question but thought i'd add my tuppence.

Ref the actual question, puma's are perfectly reliable given reasonable care and maintenance, and the weak links are very well known now. You'll have to keep an eye on wiring looms, seals etc whilst travelling long distances anyway regardless of whether it's puma or 300tdi. I'd go for whatever you want to drive.
Post #831176 15th May 2020 8:59am
trailbear

United Kingdom 
Gents

Thanks for the advice. Good call regarding making contact with the local Clubs.

I am currently looking at the different options at the moment but it will definitely be sourcing something whilst in Australia as that is where I plan to go first. There are plenty to chose from when it comes to trailers and the Pop Top Caravans or Hybrid caravans as they call them, they look very promising if not on the expensive side.

Thanks for the advice regarding the reliability of the Puma and long distances. Having owned the 300tdi for the last 15yrs, the new vehicle is a revelation to drive!

I do recall the sand flies, I was mauled whilst travelling / staying in Milford Sound a few years back, my partner didn't seem to have a problem though. My youngest Brother lives in New Zealand ( lucky git ) and it would appear the sand flies love him as well, seems be a family thing!

I have plenty time for the planning so any and all advice is appreciated so keep it coming.

Regards

David
Post #831276 15th May 2020 7:32pm
zilch

Australia 
David it may be worth subscribing to https://www.aulro.com a LR owner and enthusiast community
and a great source of info from an Australian perspective. There are discussions in regard to roadside
assistance, service centre recommendations, trip planning etc.

In regard to camping, off road camper trailers are quite common and if locally built are designed to absorb whatever
punishment the OZ terrain can throw at it, they can be readily sourced second hand or even hired on a per day basis
( i have hired in the past for a trip to Cape York). For an extended period hiring however may not be financially viable.
the local marketplace can be found at Gumtree https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-camper-traile...ected=true

Another good forum is http://www.myswag.org/index.php Forum contributors can provide a wealth of knowledge
on proposed trips and help you tweak your plans based upon their experience..

Good luck in your adventure, i am sure you will enjoy it.. your Defender should have no problems, parts and servicing
are readily available in OZ, but in the outback/regions this will be more likely via independent not LR, and you may have
to wait a few days for parts to get shipped to regional/remote areas. It might be worth considering either bringing or
locally sourcing some essential spares for your trip.. I usually get my local LR dealer to provide based upon a
"Sale and return" basis.

Some useful info on temporary vehicle importing to Oz

https://www.abf.gov.au/importing-exporting...ry-imports

Look forward to hearing about your adventures, i will be doing the "circuit" of Oz in the next 18 months, which will take
12-18 months, that will be in a MY20 Defender..so may bump into you during your visit yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #831700 18th May 2020 2:23am
trailbear

United Kingdom 
Thanks for that, some great advice there. I will start looking where you have suggested.
I think as a foreigner I can only get a 12 month visa before I were to be detained and then unceremoniously chucked onto the first cargo ship leaving your beautiful country otherwise I would love to stay longer.
A number of factors need to come together before I can embark on the trip I am planning, fortunately the means to enable the trip are already in place.
As you have mentioned, it is for those very reasons that I intend to buy Australian made products, the question is, can I rough it with the trailer or pamper myself with a hybrid camper / caravan.
It wouldn’t be my intention to go all out on some of the extreme trails but I shudder at the thought of a manicured caravan park!
I have plenty of time so I want to make sure I get it right and have the best experience I can. I like the idea of self sufficiency and would hope to visit some of the best of what the country has to offer.
That’s the plan anyway😬
Post #831873 18th May 2020 9:58pm
trailbear

United Kingdom 
I should say that I am not even sure how it works if a foreigner wants to buy a trailer / camper or caravan, that is something that I will need to investigate. I quite like idea of actually bringing one home and continuing on travelling , around Europe perhaps, that’s until I get chucked out of there as a foreigner😄
Post #831877 18th May 2020 10:05pm
zilch

Australia 
We are looking at purchasing a camper trailer as we will be no doubt staying at both manicured sites
but also in many cases National Park locations to get the best views, which may require an off road capability
to get into. Also whilst most of the main roads are tarmac, in some regions you end up on unsealed corrugations
road, such as the PDR in Cape York, that can test out your suspension, back and fillings Laughing yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport

Last edited by zilch on 19th May 2020 7:25am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #831909 19th May 2020 1:58am
zilch

Australia 
trailbear wrote:
Thanks for that, some great advice there. I will start looking where you have suggested.
I think as a foreigner I can only get a 12 month visa

Yes role reversal after 200 years, Australia deports its criminals back to the UK Laughing It may be worth
speaking to Australia House in London about your options, see if they could provide some imaginative
ways to extend. That said 12 months should suffice in seeing the majority of the country.. some rush it
in 4-6 months.. but 12 you should be ok.. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #831910 19th May 2020 2:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>