↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Two Years On
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
warren

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
Two Years On
Well, two years ago today I picked Big Black up...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Two years on...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It's still standard, apart from the snorkel, but the issues I've had so far,,,

12185 miles - Lost Power Steering, Land Rover Assistance came out within the hour and sorted that.

14353 miles - Got nice damp footwells in the rain, paint peeling off the roof seam, fuel filter cover rattling, door lock siezed. All repaired under warranty.

17345 miles - Roll pin in the rear diff snapped. Repaired under warranty.

20312 miles - Lost all drive. LRA came out and recovered to the dealer. Transfer box output shaft splines worn. Got a tasty top of the range brand new Freelander for a week. Repaired under warranty.

20455 miles - Oil leaking through main gearbox output shaft. Repaired under warranty.

22133 miles - Had my keys stolen, new keys and remote fob + programming. £100. Not the cars fault. Strangely the 'thief' returned the keys and hid them right down the back of the sofa only a month or so ago Embarassed Embarassed

22451 miles - Driving along the M65 and pick up a hefty stone chip in the windscreen. Autoglass replaced, £65 excess to pay.

29421 miles - Lots of transmission backlash. Paint peeling off the roof seam again. Gearbox output shaft splines worn, new gearbox fitted. Repaired under warranty.

29642 miles - Driving along the A59 at dusk, headlights failed. LRA attended and recovered to the dealer. Dip dim relay fault. Got a very nice brand new Disco 4 to use. Repaired under warranty.

30510 miles - Backlash is back! Diffs fine, but exessive play in the off side rear half shaft and drive flange... had to order parts in which took a few days, and typically it's been a pretty hectic week so at about 31400 miles it's back in to have that sorted. Under warranty, again.

And it was back in last tuesday, for backlash mainly between 4th and 5th, rusty headlamp bezels, side and rear steps and the coolant level kept dropping. New steps have been ordered, new pressure cap fitted for the coolant issue, but the backlash is normal... Apparently. Although it's only recently started again, and the dealer reckons their demonstrator is the same so going to have a go in that when it goes in for the replacement steps to be fitted. Might have to give another dealer a whirl if they still think it's normal.

Other than all the transmission problems which are starting to Censored me off a bit now it's been pretty much perfect. Averaged around 28mpg over the last 25k miles, and apart from the time when I tried to be clever and got it stuck in the snow it's always got me through whatever I've thrown at it. Just think I've been particularly unlucky when it comes to transmission issues.. but they best sort themselves out pronto otherwise I'm going to seriously have to consider getting shut.

Just needs a good Zagato stylee polish and wax now to get the Santorini sparkles shining again Smile

Click image to enlarge
Post #78503 30th Jun 2011 5:02pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Just let me at it Very Happy Laughing

Looks very nice and not messed about with Thumbs Up
Post #78505 30th Jun 2011 5:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lukey Boy

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Cheers for that, Warren. Interesting read! Thumbs Up 2008 110 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Post #78513 30th Jun 2011 6:54pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Good thread - lets hope the transmission problems go away soon. Thumbs Up John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #78514 30th Jun 2011 7:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
That's quite a list for just two years. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #78522 30th Jun 2011 8:28pm
Small Clanger

United Kingdom 
Miserableolgit wrote:
That's quite a list for just two years.

It sure is, I don't think I've had that much trouble with motors since I got rid of an MGB about twenty years ago.

And I'm off to collect my brand new 90 first thing in the a.m. Rolling Eyes
Post #78534 30th Jun 2011 10:37pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Interesting to hear of your backlash problems.

Not long ago I had to replace the rear halfhsafts and drive members after the OSR wore the splines tot he extent that I lost drive. A common(ish) problem perhaps? This was at about 78k miles.
Post #78544 30th Jun 2011 11:37pm
chiefstoker

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
Warren, the For Sale section is elsewhere - not a very glowing ad though - you may wish to revise it a bit dude Mr. Green 2005 TD5 90 Hard Top

Beer 'n Sex 'n Chips 'n Gravy

Post #78559 1st Jul 2011 7:50am
scotty38

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
chiefstoker wrote:
Warren, the For Sale section is elsewhere - not a very glowing ad though - you may wish to revise it a bit dude Mr. Green

In all fairness it wouldn't appear he's had much trouble getting it all sorted under warranty though and it hasn't stopped him having another Smile
Post #78569 1st Jul 2011 9:07am
DefenderOfTheEarth

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Nice truck.

Nice house! Thumbs Up Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #78571 1st Jul 2011 9:14am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
DefenderOfTheEarth wrote:
Nice truck.

Nice house! Thumbs Up

When Warren's Defender is out of warranty he may have to consider selling the house to keep the truck going with a list of woes like that! I admire your perseverance to-date and don't blame you for considering getting shot of it!!
They do look stunning in black! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #78583 1st Jul 2011 11:24am
warren

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
Must admit the on-going transmission issues are the only things stopping it being perfect for my needs at the moment. The dealer saying the backlash is normal isn't really what I want to hear, as up to now they've been perfect. But my old Tdi was never as bad as Big Black is now and that had 130k on the clock and spent most of its life lugging diggers around, and Big Black has never been worked that hard - still doesn't even have a towbar!

Typically it's one of them things that comes and goes. Sometimes it'll go through the gears perfectly and other times it feels like your being rammed up the backside (oo err) everytime you change into 5th. I'll try another dealer if they still tell me it's normal...

Have to admit I wasn't going to get a black one, I was settled on Stornorway until I saw a santorini black one on the forecourt when I went to confirm the order. Glad the sun was shining that day Thumbs Up
Post #78600 1st Jul 2011 5:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1