↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Install Advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
trailbear

United Kingdom 
Install Advice
I am asking this question with trepidation as I am a relative novice with the vast choice of Stereo equipment available so please don't hammer me with derision at my obvious lack of technical knowledge.

I have a 2014 110 CSW which has been recently acquired, The original head unit has been replaced so I am assuming that the ISO connection has been updated from Landrovers own choice.

I intend to use the Pioneer AVH-Z7200DAB head unit as I do not want to start hacking into the dash to install a double din unit.
I would like pair this with The ESK 100K Speaker and Tweeter Package along with the Focal IBus 2.1 Subwoofer and upgrading the rear speakers for the Focal PC130 speakers in the rear ( or the Focal PC100 to avoid more cutting ).
This is where I show my limited knowledge.
From what I can gather, the front speakers are running through Subwoofer but what about the rear speakers, do they have to be run through a separate amp or should I just leave them as they are?
Is there something that would run the whole unit in a one size fits all solution.
Is it worth running a better speaker wire?
I am not looking for the boy racer type install I would just like something simple with a better sound.

The vehicle will be soundproofed as well which will help with the comfort / sound levels.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
Post #830453 11th May 2020 11:34am
The Zee

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
There are a couple of options :

AVH-Z7200DAB has 3 RCA Pre-Outs (F, R & Sub) so one option is to use the Focal IBus 2.1 Subwoofer with the front Pre-out and power the front speakers and the sub it’s self, and get a small amp for the rear speakers (since the head unit has no onboard amp/output).

The better and more flexible option may be a 5 channel amplifier, with all 3 pre-outs as the input, then F, R and Sub output, this would allow you to coarse tune the system using the amp controls and fine tune via the AVH-Z7200DAB’s 13-band Graphical EQ.

If your wanting the best from the HU, amp, speakers and sub, I would certainly upgrade the standard cabling, (not nuts with foamed PTFE jacketed solid silver shielded with pure unobtainium at £5000 per meter) but a more like Cambridge Audio Symphony 300 (from £2.20/m) is a flatter cable so easier to fit. Thumbs Up

Good RCA leads are also important, don’t have a great head unit, nice amp, great speakers and cables and use low grade leads to connect the amp.

Spent two years part-time in a car audio shop /installers while at university. Leared a little about fitting and in car entertainment, everthing from mild upgrades to 2 x 15" subs, and 4 amp custom build in an M3 convertable Cool Zaid-M
www.DefencePhotos.com
2014 Defender 110 Utility, 2.2 Puma, Indus Silver
Not just transport more like a religion
Post #830676 12th May 2020 12:08pm
trailbear

United Kingdom 
Oh blimey, this is starting to sound quite a bit too technical for me!
So does that mean that I need the H.U. front and rear speakers, 5 channel amp and a separate subwoofer?

I am trying to keep everything pretty much as discreet and hidden as I can and thought about placing the Sub and now Amp under the 2nd row seats so as not to interfere with the already limited space in the vehicle.

Is there a Sub and Amp ( not too big ) that you would recommend that would be able to be placed in the area that I had thought about.
I am not really sure of anywhere else in the vehicle that would accommodate the items mentioned
and am open to suggestions.

Thanks for the info so far.
Post #830726 12th May 2020 5:30pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
on the subject of ISO connectors I just updated my LR standard CD radio with a Kenwood head unit, it was plug and play my car already had ISO as built in 2011

only issue I have is the LR radio would come on without the Key for a limited time the Kenwood does not support this function! DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #830738 12th May 2020 5:57pm
The Zee

trailbear wrote:
Oh blimey, this is starting to sound quite a bit too technical for me!
So does that mean that I need the H.U. front and rear speakers, 5 channel amp and a separate subwoofer?

I am trying to keep everything pretty much as discreet and hidden as I can and thought about placing the Sub and now Amp under the 2nd row seats so as not to interfere with the already limited space in the vehicle.

Is there a Sub and Amp ( not too big ) that you would recommend that would be able to be placed in the area that I had thought about.
I am not really sure of anywhere else in the vehicle that would accommodate the items mentioned
and am open to suggestions.

Thanks for the info so far.

The reason it's quite complicated is the lack of on board amp for the HU , so Yes you may need HU, F Speakers, R Speaker, Sub and Amp (plus any caleing, fuses, and ISO adaptor...

Finding a Hu with onboard Amp make life a lot simpler - The Onboard Amp runs the Rear speaker, the Focal Sub/Amp combo then runs F Speaker and Sub - you elimate the 5 channel amp since its intergated into the Sub.

There is a third option - ignore the rear speakers : the Focal Sub/Amp combo runs F Speaker and Sub, as a staring point, then if you feel you need rear speakers/fill add them at a later date with a small 2 channel amp. How often do you carry passangers?

How important are the rear speakers, most of the audio is stereo so a 2.1 system would work fine, some of the best audio cars I've seen are heavy front bias with no rear fill. (Driver/Front passager bias)

High frequency (tweeters) are very directional - you can tell where they are very accuratly, mid freq. less so, about the right area is good enough, low freq. (sub) can go almost anywhere since it is difficult to detect direction (to the human ear) thats why it often ends up as a sub box in the boot.

Equipment Recomendations - I'll have to have a look.... Zaid-M
www.DefencePhotos.com
Post #830747 12th May 2020 6:25pm
trailbear

United Kingdom 
Excellent, That is starting to make a little more sense.

I look forward to whatever suggestions that you can make.
Post #830788 12th May 2020 8:43pm
The Zee

Answer possibly found : https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/powere...s45/pwd-x5

PDW-X5 - Amped sub with 4 channel amp built in - so thats F, R & Sub in one box.

Not quite as flexible or upgradeable as seperate amp/sub combos but for ease and simplicty it hits your requirements - plus setup is done on your laptop connected to the box, no fiddling with pots hidden under the seat on your back trying to adjust the crossover points Zaid-M
www.DefencePhotos.com
Post #831017 14th May 2020 9:59am
trailbear

United Kingdom 
Thanks very much for that.
That looks like the way to go for simplicity and coupled with the advice that you have already given, I think that with
a little concentration and patience that I think I may be able to achieve the install i was looking for.

That's why I think this forum is such a success in that there is pretty much always someone who can give advice or assistance
with pretty much anything and everything Land Rover related.

By the way, i've had peek at your website and that is some very impressive photographic skills on display. I am still learning to find my way around mine at the moment.
Post #831090 14th May 2020 5:31pm
The Zee

No Problem - shareing knowlege is key pillar of any forum.

Thanks for the kind comments about my images. If you were closer I could have provided some photographic tuition, but my advice would be;
1 : Shoot, shoot lots, just like in any field, the more you practice the bettter you get, especialy now that you not paying for film, devloping and printing.
2 : Join your local camera club, yes it may be precious hours in an evening, but you will learn lots with the right club and members. Zaid-M
www.DefencePhotos.com
Post #831109 14th May 2020 6:27pm
trailbear

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the tips, it's something that I am definitely going to work on.
Now that I have a little more time on my hands and more plans I would be foolish to pass up the opportunities.
Post #831123 14th May 2020 8:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1