↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Redeploying enging after longtermstorage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
Redeploying enging after longtermstorage
When I bought my 1999 TD5 back in 2012 I also bought another TD5 10P engine which has been sitting in my garage cosily wrapped up in some felt carpet underlay. I've been topping it up with fresh oil just to get some lubricatino in there over the years.

Gertie our 110 has now done 218K miles and while I'm expecting her to keep going , in the event I do have to change the engine, ifeverything turns over , is it a case of drain oil, fit aciliaries and put it in or would a whole gasket change while its out be recommended Suspect the latter .

Wsa actually a bit sipped off when i bought it as it cost a lot of cash and yes its an engine ... with anythnig bolted to the block/head striped off it .. so will need some refettling ...

Rgds
Alex Santa - 1977 Series 3 - new chassis, tub, disc brakes,SU Carb
Gertie - 1999 110 TD5 - like a Phoenix from the ashes back on road... almost
Effie - 2004 110 TD5 County
Post #830448 11th May 2020 11:44am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
My view is that in this situation, and assuming that you have reason to believe it was a good engine when you bought it, you have two choices. Option one, the "do the minimum" option, is to fit it as is, change the fluids, crank it over to get the oil flowing without it firing, then start it and see how it runs. Option two would be to do a full strip and rebuild of the engine, renewing any parts that need it. This would give you a good engine of known condition, and is the only way you'll really achieve it.

I would go for option one if I intended to rebuild my original engine, in effect using the spare as a temporary unit. The advantage of this is that I would know the state of my original engine so could assess what needs renewing quite easily, which makes a rebuild more predictable in terms of time and cost.

I would go for option two if I intended the current spare engine to become a permanent feature of the vehicle, mainly because fitting it is enough work for it to be really tiresome if it turns out to be a dud.

I am actually in a similar position myself, since several years ago I had the opportunity to buy a 2.4 TDCi engine which was blowing blue smoke in quite a major way, and the original owner simply replaced it complete. I bought the smokey engine as a source of spares, since at that time we thought it likely that it had suffered from the infamous piston cooling jet "feature" that totally destroys 2.4 Defender engines! I then found that the turbo bearings were shot and the turbo was full of oil, so it is actually possible that the engine is sound and it was a turbo fault all along. As a result the engine has been promoted from "a source of spares" to "a spare engine", and now I have to decide whether to rebuild it ready to fit when needed (my Defender has done 250k miles on the original engine), or to fit with crossed fingers when the time comes and rebuild the original engine. Actually I am considering option three, which is rebuild the spare now, ready to fit, then rebuild the original when it finally comes out and keep as the next spare!

Decisions, decisions!
Post #830452 11th May 2020 12:32pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
250,000 miles in a TDCi that’s pretty good going if the engine is original.
Post #830963 13th May 2020 9:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1