↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Camera Drones
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Camera Drones
Anyone into drone video photography? I can’t justify the best part of £400 for the cheapest DJI. Is there any point looking at cheaper sub £250 ones, or they all rubbish? A quick look at Youtube indicates the video quality/stability is not great on a lot of them. I’ve read up on all the rules and regs, but think one could still be useful to me on holidays with the Landy. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #827024 22nd Apr 2020 3:20pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

I recently had a DJI Phantom and could attach a Go pro or similar, the camera was then as good as what you could add it. The newer ones have much better cameras built in.

The Thing I found was they are too big with everything else in the car for camping... so hardly used it.

I've sold that and bought a second hand DJI spark, I've yet to use it as its at work and was delivered there !! Its much smaller, fit in a small backpack with your lunch Smile

Looks ok from what I've seen of it.

Like you I didn't want to spend a fortune, I've friend with Mavic Pros and other stuff but its just another bit of kit to use on holidays.

I will report back when I have some actual footage

Thumbs Up

This gives an idea of what it should be like?
Post #827036 22nd Apr 2020 4:18pm
Bluest

What I really like about DJI's is the stability of the image. I don't need 4k resolution, but it would be nice if it wasn't wobbling allover the place. I think I would need at least £360 to get a Spark, which is more than I want to spend.

A well reviewed cheaper one is the Hubsan 501ss, but everyhting looks a bit wobbly at that price point.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074SF..._qh_dp_hza

&t=604s 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #827045 22nd Apr 2020 5:34pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
If you're wanting usable images rather than just a toy, the only really affordable options are the DJI range and possibly Parrot.
I'm a professional operator working with the emergency services and we use the DJI Mavic 2 range but you're looking at a starting price of £1k upwards.

Make sure you read up on the rules as even the sub 250g aircraft (inc DJI mini) are subject to regulations and can't be flown within 150m of any built up areas.
Post #827057 22nd Apr 2020 7:00pm
Bluest

Thanks Camelman. I think this idea will have to go on the back burner until I can afford a DJI. They seem to fetch crazy money used. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #827068 22nd Apr 2020 8:18pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
I did my flight test and owner registration on the CAA website. This you have to do if you fly a drone over 250grams. My previous DJI was very heavy.

The Mavic Mini has just come out at 249grams... but its £400 plus.

Keep looking on ebay I found mine for less than £270 with the fly more pack and case. Not bad with 3 batterys. My other one was £110 per battery.
Post #827076 22nd Apr 2020 9:00pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
To put it bluntly, no.

DJI, Parrot and Yuneec are the leading drone companies for off the shelf consumer drones which have decent imagery and video stability.

Setting commercial/film making drones aside you wont get decent imagery from another make outside of these 3 if i'm honest and Parrot do sell some cheap stuff, so think of their mid range ( Anafi ) for good results.

There is a lot of rules and regulations now for flying drones ( correctl called UAV - unmanned aerial vehicle ) and you can have a read up here to start with;

https://dronesafe.uk/

I use UAV's for commercial work, so it's abit different, but i've flown most of the consumer models and DJI are great if you spend abit, Parrot are best for speciality at the top end. Inspire 2's camera's are pretty phenomenal before you get to film grade cameras upward of 20k for the camera alone.

Mavic 1's and Air's are dropping in price with the recent introduction of the mini, you can pick up a 2nd hand ones for about 350, we still use a Mavic 1 as a scout

Are they worth the money?

Yes i think so, if you're sensible with them and follow the guidelines and register yourself and your drone with the CAA, you can have a lot of fun and they give you a completely different perspective of the world you live in and make some great shots of you driving your landy Laughing Thumbs Up
Post #827079 22nd Apr 2020 9:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1