↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Electric SUV has More Range Than Two Tesla Model 3 Combined
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
nick345345 wrote:
What about an actual Defender with tesla mechanicals?

https://ecdautodesign.com/electric-defender/

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69511...v+defender
Post #826794 21st Apr 2020 1:10pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
custom90steve wrote:
Definitely looks like a Lincoln Navigator, damn sure it would be heavier than 3.5T too.

Except that this one is a two seater - all the space behind the front seats is batteries! Laughing
Post #826796 21st Apr 2020 1:10pm
Supacat

Hey, you don't have to like the vehicle, that's fine, critique away... but don't just make things up and ascribe them to it.

Post #826802 21st Apr 2020 1:30pm
Supacat

Another option on extending range for BEVs:

“As of May 26, 2020, NIO Power has completed over 500,000 battery swaps, becoming one of NIO’s most well-received power services.

Nio’s battery swapping system can perform a fully-automatic battery swap in 3 minutes."

Click image to enlarge

https://electrek.co/2020/06/02/nio-battery...000-swaps/
Post #834931 3rd Jun 2020 10:43am
Tim in Scotland

IIRC so far no manufacturer has had to replace a battery pack due to charge reduction many Of the original Nissan Leafs are getting on for 10 years old and 100,000 miles use and still on their original battery pack, early Tesla’s are the same. Also if you find the charge holding has degraded and need a new pack as the car isn’t recharging beyonfv75% of the original capacity your replacement battery is the latest spec so you old Leaf suddenly goes from 30miles range to 140 miles range and the old battery is now fully recyclable into a power bank.
I had a Mini E on test last week, the range was pathetic by the latest standards at 110miles (claimed WTLP is 144 miles) on a day when it was 24C (so nice and warm for batteries) from a 32kWhr battery pack and pathetic range apart it is a brilliant car with a warranty on the battery of 8 years or 100,000 miles use. For my weekly 32 miles round trip to the shops it would be fine but I would have chewed my fingers away with range anxiety for my monthly 120 round trip to Edinburgh from home with no charging available (not even on a 13 amp plug) at my destination. Now if BMW were able to get the same battery pack into my Countryman PHEV I would only need to add petrol to its 35ltr petrol tank about twice a year! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #834935 3rd Jun 2020 11:00am
Supacat

Battery replacement due charge reduction is not the what the article is about.

Indeed, your usage where a small battery is fine for 30 days a month and then you need a larger battery for a day is exactly what the solution in the article addresses.

“Nio allows consumers to rent an EV battery pack for the day — potentially a big pack for a long trip — for as little as $10 a day.”
Post #834968 3rd Jun 2020 1:16pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
^^^ Tim,

I wonder how many of the users of electric cars would even notice? People are so reliant on being told things these days, (rather than observing for themselves), I’d warrant many would never clock that their batteries were not holding the same charge as when they bought them. I’d think your average buyer of a fully electric vehicle is neither a car nut, nor someone who takes things apart and puts them back together again. They’d buy an all electric because it’s green, quiet, clean, and tax efficient. They’re not buying it because they’re petrol heads. (There will always be exceptions of course). So, much as they’d just accept what their latest smart phone is telling them, what it is doing or how it is acting without questioning it, I’d suggest the same for their car. They will remain blindly oblivious until the day it almost doesn’t get them out of their street.

Further, if people aren’t banging on dealer’s doors informing them that their Tesla or Leaf is running out of juice more quickly than before, a dealer/brand isn’t going to be rushing to tell them, paying out to replace the battery and of course getting the PR team all hot under the collar because batteries don’t last as long as advertised. And even if people were turning up, you can rest assured that the workshop has parameters to which it works, and if the car is not holding its charge in the real world, but is still within those parameters, the owner will be told everything is fine. I wonder what Nissan/Tesla et al, have as their benchmark charge/duration/mileage figure below which they feel they need to inform the owner? 10% less? 25% less? 50% less? IPhone and Samsung talk nonsense about their batteries on a £1000 phone, so you can get your bottom dollar that car companies do for tech that costs ten times, or even 100 times as much. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #834969 3rd Jun 2020 1:23pm
Supacat

Grenadier ~ I think you do early adopters of BEVs a disservice. Whilst, they cannot be Petrol heads by definition, some are car nuts and then there's another group of tech geeks who see these vehicles as an extension of their world. Discussions on software, battery management, range, charging protocols, etc are the equivalent to our tech discussions.

I think we are a little way from the type of user you describe.
Post #834990 3rd Jun 2020 3:00pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Hi Supacat, what you describe is exactly what I was alluding to by ‘exceptions’. I’m by no means doing them a disservice, or at least that wasn’t my aim. However, much as you point out about we Defender fans (and forum members for other cars), we are the exception, not the rule for standard petrol fuelled car owners. Most modern men or women wouldn’t have a clue how a car works, or indeed how they could repair it. They throw it straight at the garage/dealer. I don’t see any difference with the electric car, the difference being that in a petrol car you can at least hear a clunk, know when you’re out of fuel or see the Rev counter drop. For many people it would be hard to notice a drop off in the charge retention of a battery. One would argue similarly with reduced efficiency or mileage for a petrol car. Unless it was a HUGE drop off, most people simply don’t notice. But, as I say, most, not all. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #835001 3rd Jun 2020 4:07pm
Supacat

My bad ~ I think current BEV owners are all classed as early adopters still, at least in my mind. Thumbs Up
Post #835003 3rd Jun 2020 4:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12