↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > My TD5's electrics have gone mad
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
maranellohouse

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
My TD5's electrics have gone mad
Over the last few days I've been fitting new stuff to the Defender. Radio, light bar, reversing camera, wiring for heated rear seat, front spots. All was going to plan, I ran a new direct feed wire from the batteries to the radio and the buttons for the light bar and spots, then another new feed wire from the batteries to a switch panel I'm using for the heated seat and reversing camera, so as you can see I have not been tampering with the original wiring loom. The only place on the car where there is direct contact is the live wire for the reversing light to trigger the camera, all else is separate.

The problem that has developed is when the ignition is switched on the side lights, indicators and rear fog light switch (not the fog light) all come on and stay on. Furthermore if the car is switched off and I press the hazard button ALL the lights on the dash come on and click in time with the hazards AND the fuel pump pulses in the same way. When I stop the hazards, the fuel pump continues as though it is priming and some of the dash lights stay on until the pump times out then all is quiet again.

So far i have removed ALL the new wiring I put in, taken out EVERY fuse and relay under the dash, cleaned all the connections and sprayed them with contact cleaner incase moisture had managed to get in but still have the same result. I can't move the car as obviously it won't start and I'm now at my wits end. I'm ok at electrics but no expert so any guidance you guys can give me would be very much appreciated.

The only part of the car I took out was the instrument cluster out as I was covering it with leather, and I did not remove any of the wiring. My thoughts are an earthing problem but again I have checked all the earths apart from under the driver seat (I've fitted Saab seats so its a seat out job to get into the box) and I cannot see anything wrong.

Big Cry 05 Alive tuned TD5 110 Defender
73 Fiat 500 F
53 Massey Ferguson TVO
92 Kawasaki ZZR 600
97 Ferrari 456GT

www.maranellohouse.com
Post #826268 18th Apr 2020 6:47pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Did you disconnect the battery when you were installing your new battery? If so i would confirm that the earth strap from the battery to the transfer box/chassis is still secure.

I would also pay close attention to the grey earthing connection on the bulkhead near the expansion tank. Most of the body electrics earth to this point (including the fuel pump).

As a diagnostic measure you could remove the bolt that holds that earthing point in place and connect it directly to the battery negative with a jump lead.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #826293 18th Apr 2020 9:31pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
This sounds at a glance very much like a common earthing problem hence multiple circuits affected.
As well as the options mentioned above I'd check all grounding points on the Gearbox and transfer boxes if present and other similar earthing points. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #826294 18th Apr 2020 9:34pm
mrd1990

Wales 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Check all the fuses under the driver seat including the big ones. Last time I had the dash out, I must have knocked a wire against the ignition barrel which blew a fuse messing the alarm system up... new fuse fixed everything Thumbs Up
Post #826682 20th Apr 2020 8:58pm
maranellohouse

Sorry guys only back on now and read your thoughts. Going out to try them shortly.

Story so far though in took out and checked every fuse under the dash, took out all the relays in the same place and cleaned all the connections, no change.

Under drivers seat noticed a little oil in the red ECU connector so for now cleaned it out with lots of contact spray just to see it its at all anything to do with things (I'll change the injection loom now that's started) but again no change.

Now I've ideas from your good selves I'll go and do what you have suggested. thank you. 05 Alive tuned TD5 110 Defender
73 Fiat 500 F
53 Massey Ferguson TVO
92 Kawasaki ZZR 600
97 Ferrari 456GT

www.maranellohouse.com
Post #828428 29th Apr 2020 9:40am
maranellohouse

Don't know if this will work but this should be a link to youtube where I have just put up a video of what's happening.
 05 Alive tuned TD5 110 Defender
73 Fiat 500 F
53 Massey Ferguson TVO
92 Kawasaki ZZR 600
97 Ferrari 456GT

www.maranellohouse.com
Post #828430 29th Apr 2020 9:50am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
You have a missing ground connection somewhere, disconnected or broken accidentally during your wiring work.

I don’t have the Td5 diagrams in front of me now but I will check ASAP.

But check on the bulkhead, engine bay side, there is a white connector with lots of black wires coming out. This must be bolted to the bulkhead using the ring tab at the top. It’s near the clutch reservoir.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #828438 29th Apr 2020 10:33am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin

Re-read the original post Embarassed

If you only removed the instrument pack, remove it again (unplug x3). Turn the key on - if everything ok you know the issue is related to the pack.

Check everything is connected up on the back of the gauges and the warning panel. Check a terminal hasn’t pushed out of the grey and black connectors.

Upload some photos if you’re not sure.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #828439 29th Apr 2020 10:38am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
maranellohouse

Bow down well thanks to you all I have the car sorted. You prompted me to re-check all the earths a low and behold the earth on the side of the transfer box was lose. Clearly I hadn’t tightened it enough and it worked lose. If you guys hadn’t persisted about earths it would have been ages before I would have checked. I’m a happy man tonight. Thank you all. 05 Alive tuned TD5 110 Defender
73 Fiat 500 F
53 Massey Ferguson TVO
92 Kawasaki ZZR 600
97 Ferrari 456GT

www.maranellohouse.com
Post #828724 30th Apr 2020 8:27pm
Martin
Site Admin

Nice one Mr. Green  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #828731 30th Apr 2020 9:09pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The effect of the transfer box earth coming loose is so remarkable I have sometimes thought of wiring a master switch into it as a security device! Rolling with laughter
Post #828776 1st May 2020 10:56am
VVS210

United Kingdom 
That's actually not a bad idea Rolling with laughter
Post #828814 1st May 2020 8:25pm
dorsetsmith

Land Rover Defender Military Wolf XD Battery Isolator Kit VPLDV0029

switches battery neg

Post #828835 2nd May 2020 6:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1