Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Captain Thomas Moore
Legend. Nuff said. Bow down Bow down Bow down

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/tomswalkforthenhs Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #825708 16th Apr 2020 7:08am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Just watching his final "lap" now, what a remarkable story. Words are not really adequate. Thumbs Up
Post #825720 16th Apr 2020 7:29am
VVS210

United Kingdom 
Absolute hero Bow down
Post #825724 16th Apr 2020 7:35am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Yes what a brilliant achievement and wish him well for his 100th Birthday. He was born in the same year as my father and served in the same regiment in India and Burma.

(As an aside, I was under the impression that only the rank of major and above were allowed to use their titled rank when retired from the army with the exception of cavalry regiments who were allowed to use captain and above). Maybe some of our ex military members could put me straight on this.

This question does not in any way diminish the achievement of Thomas Moore - again well done. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #825730 16th Apr 2020 7:51am
blackwolf

I'm not sure that he uses his rank, I suspect that that is a media thing.
Post #825736 16th Apr 2020 8:04am
Tim in Scotland

My understanding of the use of honorifics from investigating it from a Merchant Navy Senior Officer point of view is that to use a title or rank as a prenominal youhave to have a warrant issued by Her Majesty and with regards MN Captains they don’t get a warrant ever................. retired armed forces personnel may still hold their warrant after retiring. Often the general public who know will use a pre-nominal title as a mark of respect if they know that a person was a senior member of the armed forces. I often get mail from official bodies addressed to Captain Tim even though personally I don’t use the title as I don’t have a warrant and was an MN Captain not an RN Captain. I think it really doesn’t mean much to most of the public anyway.
As an aside my actual rank on a merchant ship was never Captain - my job rank was Master which went back to the days when the commander of the merchant vessel was also the employer of the crew - the commander never signed onto the crew agreement unlike the rest of the people onboard. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #825745 16th Apr 2020 8:32am
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I personally don’t give a hoot about whether he would be allowed to use the title Captain, as Blackwolf said its more than likely a media thing. What is important is that this wonderful old Gentleman is raising millions of pounds for NHS charities.
Post #825751 16th Apr 2020 8:45am
Grenadier

discomog wrote:
Yes what a brilliant achievement and wish him well for his 100th Birthday. He was born in the same year as my father and served in the same regiment in India and Burma.

(As an aside, I was under the impression that only the rank of major and above were allowed to use their titled rank when retired from the army with the exception of cavalry regiments who were allowed to use captain and above). Maybe some of our ex military members could put me straight on this.

This question does not in any way diminish the achievement of Thomas Moore - again well done.

Actually, according to Queen’s Regulations and Debrett’s, any retired officer of substantive rank Captain or above, can use their title in retirement. However, ‘tradition’ was those who were substantive Major and above (or Captain’s who were Field Officers, for example an Adjutant) would use their title. But that tradition was some years ago, and these days I’d suggest you would really be Brigadier or above if you continued using your title. Possibly Major General. The exception might be if you continue to work (in a civilian capacity) in a Military environment, such as the MOD, or if you work in a world with numerous ex-military personnel, such as private security. I left with the right to use my rank, but never do. I have friends who left as full Colonels and don’t use their rank.

For those who were wondering what Substantive rank means, it is a permanent rank that affords pay and seniority. You can be given ‘Local’ rank (I.e. you are a Captain, doing a Major’s role, such as Company Commander, and so are called Major - and allowed to wear the correct insignia - but are neither paid as one nor hold seniority. Local is normally given to a short term post during non operational environments. 6mths covering illness etc. Acting is a rank that gets pay, but not seniority. I.e. you fill a role that requires a certain rank, you are called by that rank - and wear insignia - and you are paid by that rank. But, within that rank - Major, if using the example above - you will be Junior to ALL substantive Majors even if any of those Majors were actually promoted after you. You only gain seniority if you stay in post two years. Acting rank is more commonly used for a permanent post - when for example a junior rank fills the senior rank because there are NO others within that rank who can do the job until the ‘acting’ solider actually picks up substantive rank in position, maybe requiring attending a course. Alternatively it is given when on operations, as ‘Local’ rank is not eligible during operations. I was promoted ‘in-country’ during my tour of Iraq, therefore held the higher ‘Acting’ rank, so benefited from pay as well. .

Finally, a bit of trivia. Many people ask why a Major General (Two Star general in American parlance) is junior to a Lieutenant General (Three Star General) when it is the reverse in their junior ranks, I.e. a Lieutenant is junior to a Major. It is because when the rank was formed, it was actually ‘Sergeant Major General’, a Sergeant Major being junior to a lieutenant. But it was such a mouthful, the Sergeant nomination was dropped. Additionally, Brigadier, (US - One Star General) was once referred to as Brigadier General (Americans still do) but was stopped and referred to only as Brigadier, as within the British Army it is considered a Field Appointment, (Ranks between Major and Brigadier, plus certain Captains) whilst General ranks are Divisional appointments. Hence the reason that whilst it relates to a US One Star rank, British Brigadiers do NOT wear the insignia of a crossed Baton and Sword as used by General rankings.

PS, Captain Tom is how he is referred to by friends and family. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Last edited by Grenadier on 16th Apr 2020 8:58am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #825752 16th Apr 2020 8:45am
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
It is a great story in such strange times.

Do Just Giving not take 5% of the money raised to 'improve' though?

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #825755 16th Apr 2020 8:51am
Grenadier

Yes Steve, they do. But there has been a call to waive it on this occasion.

As ever, there’s always ‘money to be made’ in/from Charity. Really it should be a percentage up to a certain level (£10,000?) and then a fixed sum thereafter. The admin will surely be the same whether you raise 50p or 50m? But clearly there needs to be a minimum income to pay staff, run websites and run marketing.... Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #825758 16th Apr 2020 9:01am
blackwolf

Just Giving has apparently waived all its fees for this particular case, which I thought was a decent gesture.
Post #825766 16th Apr 2020 9:42am
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
fantastic response and undertaking...........a true gent
Post #825771 16th Apr 2020 9:50am
Slideywindows

England 
Yes, it is nice to watch an uplifting story on the Beeb.

Also good to learn something new, so Grenadier's post was interesting too.

I went to boarding school with a bloke called Dannat.

I believe he rose to be the top dog of all three Armed Forces.

Often saw him on the TV and I think he is involved with charity too, now he is retired.
Post #825777 16th Apr 2020 10:41am
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
blackwolf wrote:
Just Giving has apparently waived all its fees for this particular case, which I thought was a decent gesture.

Good to hear! Very Happy 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #825779 16th Apr 2020 10:48am
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Inspirational Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #825785 16th Apr 2020 11:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>