↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Long reach hedge trimmers - anyone recommend a good one?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
I've got all Stihl kit now, including a long reach battery powered hedge cutter (and two batteries!). It is very light, easily adjusted, has plenty of power and is relatively quiet. It is expensive to buy the batteries and charger in the first place, but if you go on to buy other kits such as strimmer or mower then it works out ok. The other nice part about it is no fear of not starting up after the winter!
Post #825762 16th Apr 2020 10:20am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
hank wrote:
I too am a Husqvarna guy. Last summer I bought a Husqvarna 525lk Combi so that just the one power head can run a variety of attachments. So far I have a long reach multi angle hedge cutter and a garden strimmer. May Also get the pole saw.

Absolutely faultless. Powerful, balanced, lightweight and competitively priced.

Also have nothing but good things to say about my Husqvarna 560XP chainsaw

But if you are an occasional user may be better to hire it... Then again there are often good buys on the used market, which you could then gift to your son and hey presto you are off the hook for future prunings!

Xp chainsaws you want go wrong, personally I have stayed away from the autotune like the 560. Running 346xp, 365, 576xp, 395xp, covers pretty much all eventualities for my uses.

On the additive front, just run them dry before the winter. Whats not in there any cause any harm. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #825790 16th Apr 2020 1:10pm
Pat

Wales 
Thanks guys, plenty to go on there.
As always, just need to find the justifiable price point! It started with a kiss, never thought it would come to this.
SIII CSW Safari, limestone, (JAC 914N). Where is she now?

It's not a car, it's a way of life!
Post #825897 16th Apr 2020 9:49pm
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
Having had a chance this weekend to test the Aldi one, I was pretty impressed. It's easy to start/handle, comes with comprehensive instructions and the build quality isn't bad although if you compare it to Stihl or Husky the difference is evident. Our hedge is roughly 9 feet deep in places and only accessible from one side so the hedge cutter was the main reason for purchasing it.

It comes with an additional pole extension which it states is for the chainsaw attachment only but it works with the hedge cutter also and measures 2.6 metres from the throttle to the end of the hedgecutting attachment which is longer than a lot of alternatives. Needless to say using it with the extension and holding it horizontal to do the top of the hedge is knackering after a while! 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
1992 200Tdi 90 Truck cab with Land Cruiser axles
Post #826776 21st Apr 2020 11:41am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Do yourself a favour and reduce it's depth. What type of hedge is it? WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.

Last edited by Zed on 21st Apr 2020 1:30pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #826778 21st Apr 2020 12:00pm
Harry.O

Mostly hawthorn but I don't think it had been cut for a few years and it's well established. It will get cut and laid next year which will reduce the depth and claw back a few feet of garden at the same time, missed the window for that this year but at least we now have a view across the fields Very Happy 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
Post #826793 21st Apr 2020 1:09pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I guessed it would be a thorny variety! They're usually neglected for obvious reasons. Sounds like you have a plan though. Sorting the depth will make a big difference. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #826803 21st Apr 2020 1:30pm
Romadog

If you or anyone wants to buy a petrol powered one then forget Stihl etc and buy a Makita MM4 one .

https://www.makitauk.com/product/en4950h.html

These are 4 stroke so no need for mixing oil issues, they run on just over tickover and use a heck of a lot less fuel than the Stihl.
How do I know?
Well working with them all for past 12yrs+ and I have my own MM4, but my neighbour against my advice purchased a Stihl and spends more time refilling the fuel tank whilst mine is still running and he's also more tired from the effort to keep th Stihl's 2 stroke engine revved at optimum speed.
Post #826817 21st Apr 2020 3:34pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Harry.O wrote:
Mostly hawthorn but I don't think it had been cut for a few years and it's well established. It will get cut and laid next year which will reduce the depth and claw back a few feet of garden at the same time, missed the window for that this year but at least we now have a view across the fields Very Happy

Hawthorn is a nightmare if it gets out of hand. Best to save up and buy one of those spinning flail mine clearance Challenger tanks, or see if the USAF have any of that stuff for clearing jungles left over from Vietnam. It should be used for prison walls. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #826845 21st Apr 2020 5:35pm
Harry.O

Thanks Zed and Bluest, I've been hunting for some Agent Orange but eBay seems out of stock! It's built up quite a woody crown (I think that's the correct term) having been flailed by the farmer from his side for many years so I've done my best with the hedgecutter, if lock-down continues I may well have a go with the chainsaw attachment on the long-reach jobby simply as something to do since I can't get to the normal chainsaw currently Sad Back-up option was to ask the farmer to get drastic with a flail on a tractor but their permitted season has passed now. The good news is that the hedge attracts lots of woodpigeons which are fab on the BBQ Laughing 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
Post #826985 22nd Apr 2020 9:54am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Bluest wrote:
Don’t be tempted by the Screwfix Titan cheapy ones. The fuel pipes rot a way in a few months and now the clutch drags and squeals away on tick over. Remarkably, it does start very easily though.

Similar to the Aldi ones then - but fuel pipe is very cheaper to buy by the metre and clutch can be adjusted.

All these tools require maintenance, sharpening, parts changing due to wear and tear. If you are only getting them out of a damp shed once a year and they have last years fuel still in the carb and tank, then they soon become "unreliable".
Post #827145 23rd Apr 2020 9:55am
Grouse

Titan is fine - cheap and cheerful - bought from Screwfix and so far has survived farm use for 3 years - what’s not to like. Best thing is spares are cheap - even when a large heavy tree branch fell on the saw head and broke beyond repair, a new stem, head, blade and chain all assembled was £40 delivered.

Any other make would have been bonkers money - at the price they are if they last 3-5 years I don’t care - would definitely buy again 2017 Range Rover L405 Vogue SE V8 Diesel #16
Land Rover 110 300 TDI
Post #827157 23rd Apr 2020 11:25am
Pat

Wales 
Re: Long reach hedge trimmers - anyone recommend a good one?
Pat wrote:
Recommendations for a decent long reach or telescopic hedge trimmer appreciated.

My son has moved to a place with 8ft high neglected mixed (holly, hawthorn, etc.) hedging that needs reclaiming ... and I've been volunteered!

Always like to read how question posts get concluded ......

Went for a Stihl HLE71 in the end.

Happy with the job its done in getting a neglected hedge back into shape. Many hours work since April and no complaints.
Can feel a little heavy come the end of the day, but don't think that can be avoided with a long reach tool. It started with a kiss, never thought it would come to this.
SIII CSW Safari, limestone, (JAC 914N). Where is she now?

It's not a car, it's a way of life!
Post #844679 19th Jul 2020 9:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12