↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Defender 110 TD5 Build/Nardo Grey
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bespoke1

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Defender 110 TD5 Build/Nardo Grey
Hello this is my first post and I thought I will share some pictures of my 110 rebuild which has halted at present and was so close to bringing her back home. The build has been on going for the last year. Original plan was to have her off the road for a few weeks and to enjoy. The second week I had her we decided to fully strip her down and to start the rebuild. An agreement with my local body shop (owned by a fiend) was for me to strip her, him to repaint her and for me to rebuild her.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #824999 13th Apr 2020 3:03pm
Moneypit

2004 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Fuji White
Welcome to the site, looks like a nice job, keep us updated as the rebuild goes on
Post #825006 13th Apr 2020 4:04pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
Re: Defender 110 TD5 Build/Nardo Grey
Bespoke1 wrote:
(owned by a fiend)

Good luck with the build Twisted Evil Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #825007 13th Apr 2020 4:18pm
Bespoke1

She started life as a 2002 td5, originally she was green and at some point she has had a 2006 body fitted including the complete rear and middle tub, floors, roof, pillars, and the later puma doors all in Zanzibar silver. The condition was excellent with hardly any rust and just a few minor blemishes. I drove her back on a 5 hour drive and she preformed excellent

Once the decision was made to strip her I realised all the bolts and seals were going to be replaced, including door hinges. And all the glass to be removed before she is painted.

At the same time I decided that the underneath needs to be cleaned and prepped for painting and protection. A lot of work went in too cleaning the underneath, after spending nearly 2 days jet washing any dirt from underneath she was put into the bodyshops oven for the best part of a day to make sure she was dry before any surface rust was cleaned off. Finally 3 coats of oxide primer was used with another 4 coats of Schultz.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

A few pictures of body panels getting prepped

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

After a very long debate, looking at pictures on Google, it was finally time to decide what colour to paint her, I was thinking that I had got quite attached to the Zanzibar Silver she was all ready in, and it would be a lot easier if I kept the colour the same, I have always preferred the dark blacks and greys in colour but there is so much upkeep in keeping them clean, a visit to my local Audi showroom and looking at a few rs3 and rs6 parked up in Nardo Grey, and doing a Google search on defender 110 Nardo Grey. I had decided that was the colour I wanted and I had to convince my friend at the body shop that even though originally I said i was going to keep the same colour my thoughts had changed. I wanted a Nardo Grey in colour, black roof, black archers, black hindges, black bonnet, black grill, black light surrounds, and a few other black bits.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

As I was waiting for other panels to get painted, I decided the rear door was no good and would not justify to repair, the main problem with the door was that the frame had cracked due to the weight of the spare tyre. all the other 4 doors are 100 percent with no issues at all, and the rear door would let her down. So I brand new rear door was purchased, at the same time I decided I needed a few more items, a set of 16 inch Sawtooth alloys were purchased as the boost alloys did not look quite right for what I wanted. I had received all the new stainless screws and bolts and decided to start to bolt her together.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Snorkel has also been painted in gloss black

Click image to enlarge

Finally all the doors have been painted, all the new seals and rubbers have arrived, the hindges are gloss black, can not wait to fit them. They have been painted inside and out.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The next chapter in the build was to strip all the interior out, seats, carpets and rubber matting and to start all over again. I had decided that I wanted to seal all the joins in the metal flooring where it had been bolted together just to make sure everything was water tight. Then to lay sound proof insulation, sound deading Matt on top and to finish off with a luxury carpet. I had decided that every inch of her to be covered, including the seat boxes, inside battery tray, inside the doors, and even the roof. All the original sound matting in the football and around the seat boxing was replaced for new and was put back in on top of the new sound deading. The center dash console has also been painted in Nardo Grey, new brushed steel carpet retainers have been put in, the dash was stripped down and all the black screws have been changed for stainless button head

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

As the inside was looking so good, with the carpet finally finished, and even the b post covered up too the trim and no metal showing anywhere. I knew the original 6 seat set up I had would not be going back in, even though it is in good condition. I quite liked the 7 seat set up with the two forward facing seats in the back.
I managed to get my hands on two front puma xs heated leather seats which were virtually new and had been fitted to the previous defender for a couple hundred miles before they decided to upgrade to bucket seats, due to this purchase I decided that I wanted all the seats to match and I purchased two xs third row seats forward facing whi h had hardly been used, even at present I have not been able to locate the puma middle row 60/40 seat to match. Every time I seam to find one they are just to expensive. So for the time being my original 2nd row seat will have to do.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This is how far I had got, a couple of days before lock down. All the handles, bumpers, lights had been test fitted and had just started to wet sand her down to achieve a mirror finish. Was going to get the Sawtooth alloys fitted and have the window tinted dark black. Not to sure if I want to mount the spare wheel on the back door or to keep it inside the back. I had the front bumper painted matt black and then decided I wanted it gloss black, to be honest it looked better in Matt black. It was going to be a tempory bumper until I got one without the a bar and with drl lights, still looking for some side steps or rock sliders. Most likely will fit a rear ladder with a roof rack at some point. I will carry on posting once I am able to work on her again. I am open to all sugestions and everyone thoughts and changes before she is finished. Once finished I will be clearing all the parts that I have took of her. Thanks again

Last edited by Bespoke1 on 15th Apr 2020 12:50am. Edited 9 times in total
Post #825101 13th Apr 2020 11:19pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Hi there pal and welcome to the site Thumbs Up

Looking great there! I would love to tackle this with mine at some point in a few years, my 306 and even my dads defender. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #825103 13th Apr 2020 11:54pm
Bespoke1

Re: Defender 110 TD5 Build/Nardo Grey
CarMan wrote:
Bespoke1 wrote:
(owned by a fiend)

Good luck with the build Twisted Evil

Thanks , I've just added a few more pictures
Post #825209 14th Apr 2020 12:51pm
LCJ

Superb choice of colour, like it Thumbs Up
Post #825249 14th Apr 2020 3:52pm
Barneyboy

England 1986 Defender 90 2.5 n/a Diesel ST Nato Green
Great work there, Thumbs Up that looks really nice as above great choice of colour Thumbs Up cheers Paul
Post #825296 14th Apr 2020 6:30pm
L110CDL

England 
Welcome and a great build thread you have got going here and i agree with the Nardo Grey, goes well with all the black bits Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #825323 14th Apr 2020 7:27pm
Bespoke1

Thanks , I am glad I went for the Nardo Grey, looks really good. Can not wait to get her finished
Post #825409 14th Apr 2020 10:55pm
L110CDL

England 
Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #825619 15th Apr 2020 7:07pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Welcome to the forum, great post. Nardo Grey is a great colour! James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers

Last edited by JOW240725 on 28th Apr 2020 1:46pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #825641 15th Apr 2020 8:51pm
Bespoke1

Just ordered a few more parts, should have a update once fitted.

Still waiting to get back to her, I think next week I may attempt to go and fit a fee nee parts that I have ordered.

Last edited by Bespoke1 on 14th Jun 2020 2:36pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #828235 28th Apr 2020 1:42pm
TD5Neil

England 
Amazing work so far Thumbs Up
Post #828246 28th Apr 2020 2:24pm
Bespoke1

Click image to enlarge

Just recieved a Masai rear wheel swing away arm. Ordered a full set of front and back smoked led lights. Also managed to get original front electric window mechanism to convert to electric windows. Should have the lights and swing away fitted next week. Most likely I am going to leave the electric windows until later when I fit the remote central looking at the same time. I also purchased a private plate, was not needed but I had to have it. Y 110 LR

Click image to enlarge
Post #837143 14th Jun 2020 2:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>