↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Another Non Starter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Martin wrote:
See blackwolf's PDF for relay IDs. You will might be missing some (if non aircon/non ABS) but the tabs should show where these would have fitted.

https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/u...Relays.pdf

Off topic but another excellent PDF saved for future reference Thumbs Up

Good luck solving your starting issue JBLancs > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #821383 26th Mar 2020 6:54am
JBLancs

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
So this morning I have methodically worked through Martins list. Bridging the power terminals on the starter relay led to it cranking and starting up. I moved onto the Enable/trigger stage And when the black/orange wire is linked to ground the vehicle cranks and starts on the key meaning it is the enable from the 10AS or engine ECU.

Pointers for the next line of investigation would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Post #821395 26th Mar 2020 8:03am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
OK right,

Key will be tracing back where the black/orange goes to.

LR seem to have messed about with this for whatever reason, on some 2.4 it's to the ECU and some the 10AS and I'm not clear on what years have it going where.

But, first off, double/triple check that there isn't a hidden switch somewhere that a previous owner has fitted to cut this enable feed.

As the ECU is allowing start then both the 10AS and the ECU are happy, so whichever of the ECU or 10AS does have control of the enable feed on your Defender should be doing it - which is why it might be a break in the enable feed (from a switch).

If definitely no switch, then try and trace the black/orange.

The 10AS is easier to see, remove the driver's side speaker and with a torch look through the hole at the green connector to the 10AS unit. The black/orange, if wired to the 10AS, would be on pin 10, bottom row as arrowed:

If not then it's a case of removing the pigs of ECU connectors to check there Big Cry Rolling Eyes  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #821433 26th Mar 2020 10:30am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JBLancs

So, I've been busy with other things today but I've had a quick look.

Its a works vehicle so I'm not as familiar with it as I am with my own Defenders. I have however found an odd push button on the steering column shroud. With the ignition on when the button is pressed I can hear a relay click in and then the ignition holds on? You can turn the ignition key to zero and remove it but the ignition is held on? Very strange, the only way to turn it off seemed to be to disconnect the battery?

See button below:

Click image to enlarge

I had a look with the drivers side speaker out and well the photo will speak for itself!!

Click image to enlarge

I will have to do some more investigating and report back when I have a bit more time, there is all sorts up behind that speaker, there is also a grey plug pictured below but I don't think thats anything to do with it. Does any one have a photo of the 10AS unit and the green plug I am looking for?

Click image to enlarge

Thanks for your ongoing help, can and worms springs to mind with this one!! Also noticed whilst poking around that someone has linked out the terminals on the dim/dip relay and one of the terminals on the headlamp relay is burnt out, that would explain the temperamental headlights. You know that feeling when you wish you never started a job ...
Post #821493 26th Mar 2020 6:44pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
That suggests to me that a runlock system is fitted. See if the ignition goes off if you press the brake or clutch with the key out.
Post #821499 26th Mar 2020 7:18pm
JBLancs

Ahh that would make sense I believe that this is an Ex - Electricity Board vehicle so would probably have been so that they could run aux equipment without the keys in. Could this have anything to do with my starting woes or is it a red herring?

PS anyone know how to switch off the runlock without disconnecting the battery?

Please forgive my ignorance, this is all new to me Embarassed
Post #821501 26th Mar 2020 7:25pm
JBLancs

Sorry Blackwolf, that is what you suggested isn't it? to see if the brake or clutch turns off the runlock?
Post #821502 26th Mar 2020 7:27pm
JBLancs

So today I have had a bit more of a poke around, as Blackwolf suggested the brake pedal turns off the runlock system.

I have located the black/orange wire in the green plug on the 10AS unit and it is as Martin said on pin 10 (thank goodness I don't need to go poking around in the ECU plugs). Not had any luck finding a switch in the enable wire but I have found all sorts of other stuff up behind the speaker, I'll post a few photos. Thoughts and comments welcome.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #821691 27th Mar 2020 6:23pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It is possible that a malfunctioning runlock system could cause starting issues. Incidentally turning the ignition on with the key will also usually reset the runlock. Your last photo is the runlock.
Post #821696 27th Mar 2020 6:39pm
JBLancs

I would much rather solve my current problem first but I feel that life would be so much easier without all of these added systems. I have all ready previously about 18 months ago ripped out meters and meters of wiring from this vehicle which was for a diesel heater, hand wash system in the back, flashing beacons etc I know the standard wiring isn't perfect but at least you have diagrams to work from all this added wiring is just a guessing game as to what other people have done?

I know its pretty hard for you guys to comment but would it be a complicated job to remove all of this now unnecessary nonsense? Like I say at this stage I'd rather just get the vehicle working I don't want to make the situation worse! Surprised
Post #821705 27th Mar 2020 7:13pm
JBLancs

To update this thread I got a local auto electrician to cast his eye over it explaining to him what I had found out, he agreed that the fault must lie with the 10AS unit so it was removed and sent down to a bloke in Brighton who repaired and tested the unit. It is now installed back in the vehicle and working perfectly. Thanks everyone for all your help.

Cheers
Post #828946 2nd May 2020 7:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12