↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > One for the property boffs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
One for the property boffs
sold a flat in last year. completed Apr'19.

I'm still waiting for solicitors to refund £500 which was help back should the service charge have escalated once accounts are made up.

Evil or Very Mad
Post #834803 2nd Jun 2020 4:18pm
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
Solicitor will sit on your money until you ask them for it. Such a lovely customer focussed profession!!!! 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #834804 2nd Jun 2020 4:22pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
They'll probably charge you for having to look after it for you too.

Sorry to not be more helpful, hopefully someone else can suggest the best tactic to achieve a result. Having lots of dealings with solicitors lately and finding it extremely, extremely trying! It appears the only person who does well out of any situation involving solicitors, is the solicitors. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #834810 2nd Jun 2020 5:39pm
red zepplin

1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Rioja Red
Solicitors and prostitutes 1 f@#ks you for money the other f@#ks your money for you WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG
My sky lantern petition
http://chng.it/HJXmZC47
Post #834837 2nd Jun 2020 8:09pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Send a registered letter asking for it back and the estimated amount you would have made in interest (how ever small) in the meantime. Give them a time limit (from the signature for the registered letter) to pay you. Add that you'll report them to the SRA (Solicitors Regulation Authority) if they do not do so, and will go to the Small Claims Court to recoup the funds, for which they will be liable to pay full your fees if it is found in your favour. No (normal) solicitor will want their name mentioned to the SRA or dragged through the courts, and certainly not over £500. If that doesn't get your money back, tell them you will write letters to the local paper, Watchdog, Martin Lewis, the local council, the local Citizens Advice Bureau and the local Trading standards.

These are all quick and easy pressure points that take no more than half an hour and cost nothing. Should work. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #834861 2nd Jun 2020 9:34pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
What did they say when you last asked them for it? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #834866 2nd Jun 2020 9:47pm
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Charge then late payment interest, following Government guidance

https://www.gov.uk/late-commercial-payment...rcial-debt Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #834875 2nd Jun 2020 10:20pm
Caterham

thanks guys.

I've asked and chased more times than I care to recall. they've said they can't give me the money back until the accounts / service has been finalised. Looking at the service charge and sale of property the service charge runs Apr-Mar. The property completed 15 May - which was another screw up. they some how managed to drag the sale out almost 5 months which when you consider this was a first time buyer sale is in my books a complete screw up in itself.

?
Post #834906 3rd Jun 2020 8:29am
Tim in Scotland

Sounds like you might need to refer them to their professional standards body Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #834907 3rd Jun 2020 8:39am
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
Don't waste your time with a referral to their prof body, they are as useless and the property ombudsman.

Contact the management company and get their final statement of account for the period and confirmation that there is no outstanding money owed, then send that to solicitor and demand outstanding money. Remind the solicitor that they are working for you.

I used to be secretary of a small property management company (6 flats) and the stupidity, rudeness and general ineptitude of solicitors beggars belief.

We assesses service charge fee in advance charged quarterly and ran as 'sinking fund' for future maintenance jobs, made agreeing money owed at sale so much easier as money was paid on due date by the flat owner irrespective of the number of days in the quarter the flat was owned. This was clearly laid out for the solicitor upon the first communication and still some solicitors needed it explaining several times over - very much a case of "Hard of Thinking" 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #834936 3rd Jun 2020 11:08am
jst

there are some very sweeping generalisation topics on here. I wasn't aware solicitors were hard of thinking for one, not meaning to specifically highlight that thread.

Caterham sounds like you need to take it a stage further if your background information is correct and its not something you agreed to on initial instruction. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #834992 3rd Jun 2020 3:12pm
Caterham

jst wrote:
What did they say when you last asked them for it?

the solicitor basically said it was more than his job was worth to release the monies.
I guess I need to get on to the management company and find out if accounts have been completed.

looking back there probably an element of really poor timing (which I blame of the solicitor) - if the sale completed mid May and accounts end March then I guess it's still reasonably early days for the accounts to be completed / verified etc Sad

I wrote to solictor this morning asking for monies back before referring to a 3rd party for advice.

thanks guys Thumbs Up
Post #835010 3rd Jun 2020 4:50pm
jst

i would suggest they are legally bound to hold the funds to ensure its cleared from the previous accounting period.

due to the timings for what ever reason they came about means you are waiting a while. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #835125 4th Jun 2020 10:44am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
RFT wrote:
Don't waste your time with a referral to their prof body, they are as useless and the property ombudsman.

Contact the management company and get their final statement of account for the period and confirmation that there is no outstanding money owed, then send that to solicitor and demand outstanding money. Remind the solicitor that they are working for you.

I used to be secretary of a small property management company (6 flats) and the stupidity, rudeness and general ineptitude of solicitors beggars belief.

We assesses service charge fee in advance charged quarterly and ran as 'sinking fund' for future maintenance jobs, made agreeing money owed at sale so much easier as money was paid on due date by the flat owner irrespective of the number of days in the quarter the flat was owned. This was clearly laid out for the solicitor upon the first communication and still some solicitors needed it explaining several times over - very much a case of "Hard of Thinking"

Cracks me up, I'm pretty sure solicitors would have a similar view of property agents! (I'm not a solicitor btw). It is a stressful transaction and at the point of the pyramid is the solicitor, reliant on a whole host of other parties to do their bit correctly and in a timely manner. In Caterham's case the solicitor is acting responsibly by ensuring there is no liability down the line.
Post #835128 4th Jun 2020 11:15am
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
jst wrote:
i would suggest they are legally bound to hold the funds to ensure its cleared from the previous accounting period.

due to the timings for what ever reason they came about means you are waiting a while.

This thread has reminded me that I'll be due a refund of over £100 in the next few weeks!

I've just been through a house sale and had the same - the management company needs to produce final accounts for the period in case there have been any increases to the charge or extraordinary expenditure that would have an overlap of liability between me and my buyers.

All pretty normal, mildly annoying and I'll need to chase in the next few weeks once I receive the final accounts. JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #835145 4th Jun 2020 2:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>