↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Chassis modification to allow cleaning inside.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
Chassis modification to allow cleaning inside.
Has anyone ever modified the ends of the chassis so that it was open to allow a pressure washer inside?

My thoughts are if a a removable plate was added it may allow access for a pressure washer lance. This would also allow for access for treatment, though this is not the primary reason.

Are there any obstructions or items within the chassis that would limit the insertion of a flexible lance, or anything that could be damaged by a pressure washer.

The ends could be played to retain strength.

By the way, I am talking about a 90.

Thanks for any replies.

Regards

Mick
Post #820684 22nd Mar 2020 6:22pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
There is a wiring loom in the chassis, that on my TD5 exits in the rear drivers wheel arch 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #820685 22nd Mar 2020 6:29pm
htb2

Scotland 
IIRC there are a number of obstructions, such as spacers to keep the 2 c sections apart prior to welding, on a 90 the front tub mount is a tube welded through the chassis. I am sure there may be others where bolts go right through chassis with strengthening tube to stop crushing of chassis etc.
Post #820688 22nd Mar 2020 6:34pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
If you look at the start of this video Mike has already drills drain holes into the underside of this 110 chassis

Hope this helps

Post #820702 22nd Mar 2020 7:40pm
markb110

Hi Mossberg

Apologies as I was in a bit of a hurry earlier, you know what it is like, make dinner, washing up, impending apocolypse.

What I did on my 90 hardtop to get a hosepipe in to clean out the ends of the crossmember was to simply drill a hole in the rear side panels in line with the crossmember ends, painted the hole and added a grommet.

When cleaning I just place the hosepipe next to it and blow the crud out. once dry I then spray oil into it. I also have rear bumperettes with corner protectors so not immediately obvious that there is a hole there.

Another thing to note (I forgot at the time). If you have rear mud flaps, the bracket covers the drain holes in that part of the crossmember.

I drilled a matching hole in the bracket so that I can get a hose in there as well.

Hope all that make sense

Thumbs Up

Have fun and stay safe
Post #820722 22nd Mar 2020 8:44pm
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
Many thanks folks, I really appreciate your help.

Nice video showing the chassis wash out, though it is great doing it when the chassis is off.

Does anyone know where the internal plates/braces are on the chassis? It would be good to putt access points in the chassis where a good jetwash could get in - that video just shows the importance of clearing the mud out.

Thanks

Mick
Post #820775 23rd Mar 2020 6:37am
BenB8man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I've ended up getting a drain cleaning attachment for my pressure washer. I am able to then feed it into the multiple holes already in the chassis rails.

First time I cleaned it I was very surprised how much mud and sand came out!

Can't remember the exact one, but it was something similar to this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Drain-Cleaner-H...SwHv1eBH0j
Post #820794 23rd Mar 2020 9:21am
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Thread revival!

When using a drain cleaner attachment inside the chassis rails....

Where does it drain from?

Plenty of holes to get it in, but not sure if there are really any big enough to get muddy water and sand back out again and concerned it'll just permanently fill the chassis up with water!
Post #863761 27th Oct 2020 10:13am
markb110

That of cause is the issue, all the holes are along the sides of the chassis and not in the underside.

Hence on the vid I attached Mike drilled holes in the underside.

Interestingly because of where he is based in Canada he did an earlier video where he drilled drain holes into the underside of some rock sliders and explained that an earlier set split when the condensation froze and split the seam.

In ye oldie days it was the reason that old engine oil was kept and pumped into the chassis as it would soak into any dirt and aid protection where wax oil just sits on top.

It might be frowned on today but if you can protect the ground oil is still a great way to go, you can even use something like a hand pump weed sprayer to apply it, just make you own tube to enter the chassis.

And yes, I’ve done it.
Post #863766 27th Oct 2020 10:49am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I seem to remember that the use of oil like that was banned because it's carcinogenic. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #863767 27th Oct 2020 10:53am
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the thoughts. Am wondering how on earth the chassis treaters who do the insides manage to get them clean enough to then apply wax to, without just creating dirt that's waxed over and holding water against the metal constantly.

So in terms of obstructions... if I managed to park the 110 up at enough of an angle that all the chassis angles ran downwards towards the front, would water run out of the chassis if i put the lance in at the rear and wandered it around a bit down the drain cleaner?

Particularly interested if we reckon there is internal bracing around the front spring mounts.

Post #863774 27th Oct 2020 11:31am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
^^ Whatever makes you think that they do? It probably isn't possible.
Post #863776 27th Oct 2020 11:34am
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Desperate hope, blind faith and innocence! Rolling with laughter

Strikes me it's probably better not to treat the insides if you can't get them clean, at least they then remain dry whenever the weather is? Otherwise you've just waxed in a load of wet mud permanently that can't even dry when the weather is?

Or am I missing something... Sad
Post #863777 27th Oct 2020 11:36am
Matt110

United Kingdom 
Does this hole he's using exist at the back of every chassis? I know he's drilled in the bottom of the main rails half way along... but just pondering winching the front up, making safe, and then being able to have it all run out the back.

Post #863779 27th Oct 2020 11:42am
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Matt110 wrote:
Thread revival!

When using a drain cleaner attachment inside the chassis rails....

Where does it drain from?

Plenty of holes to get it in, but not sure if there are really any big enough to get muddy water and sand back out again and concerned it'll just permanently fill the chassis up with water!

Um at least on my chassis (300Tdi 110) there are quite a lot of drain holes along the bottom of the chassis rails at each of the low points. OK they do get plugged up fairly frequently with my use but easy enough to poke around with a screwdriver and clean out. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #863803 27th Oct 2020 1:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>