Home > Off Topic > Vidoe calling system recomendations
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Vidoe calling system recomendations
recommendations required.

In anticipation of my mother who is 90+ and myself having to stay in doors I'm looking at the purchase of a video calling system.

To my shame I haven't kept up to date with tech since leaving full time employment 18 years ago so I have no knowledge of what is needed other than the item and the internet which we both have even though she keeps it switched off as she does not have a computer of any kind other than her built in one.

What extra kit do I need to set my mothers system up. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #819863 16th Mar 2020 4:33pm
nick345345

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Baltic Blue
you could try Amazon Alexa devices with screens (Echo Show 5 or Cool - I use them with my mum
Post #819864 16th Mar 2020 4:46pm
Chopperone

United Kingdom 
Alexa as mentioned - probably about the cheapest solution.
Can also be used to turn lights etc on/off , set reminders for medication , music streaming , news & countless other things. May your life be like toilet paper ; long & useful.
Post #819865 16th Mar 2020 5:08pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
All we as a family need is a system that allows video calling, none of this constantly listening to everything you say.
We are still able to stand up and walk to a switch to turn the lights on and off etc.. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #819866 16th Mar 2020 5:13pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
You may find you already have the kit you need. Smartphones? iPad or tablet? PC or laptop with webcam? > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #819868 16th Mar 2020 5:16pm
PCM

United Kingdom 
I can highly recommend the Amazon or Alexa screen smart speakers. Cheap. Super Easy to install and very good.
Even though mine is just used as a radio 99% of the time it is very handy when someone video calls. Before we had one, my tablet never had charge and the phone was too fiddly.

You can turn off the listening if you’re really bothered, but really if it’s listening in my house is just hears kids moan.
Post #819870 16th Mar 2020 5:26pm
Tim in Scotland

If you already have things like PC’s/Laptops/ smartphone etc then no need for any more kit, WhatsApp? Facebook Skype etc all work on them and I’m already using them with work and family - you can instal them for free too only problem with some of them is that you need a fairly good internet connection. WhatsApp in particular is excellent and at work I find it will often work over a very unstable satellite link when even email won’t work. Also WhatsApp is encrypted end to end so in theory nobody,not even GCHQ/ Pentagon or the Kremlin, will be able to listen in to your conversations. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #819878 16th Mar 2020 7:01pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
WhatsApp’s video calling feature works brilliantly for me on a smartphone. If you’ve got a phone it’s totally free. I call my parents with it regularly. I’ve never had much luck with Skype. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #819894 16th Mar 2020 8:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1