↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Extreme E ~ the all-electric off-road championship
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Dave T

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Cairns Blue
The rules seemed really complex and the grid set up depending on how popular you are.......it’s very “strictly”. Personally didn’t like coverage on Eurosport, great machinery but too politically correct, why a male and female, why not a team of women? Surely racing is supposed to be about who can drive fastest, surely there’s no difference between men and women? 2015 RRS Autobiography SDV6
1994 Def 90 300tdi
Post #895892 4th Apr 2021 5:19pm
HughB

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Montalcino Red
Having watched the "race", I retract my earlier comment - because of the surface, it was totally pointless. It was the F1 equivalent of driving in thick fog. Hopefully, they'll come up with a better format for the next location.

And invest in a meaningful environmental project at each location to compensate for the damage they do.
Post #895921 4th Apr 2021 7:59pm
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Baltic Blue
I watched the ITV coverage. The production is awful with background music for the heats, hardly any actual driving footage, no explanation of the rules, no tech info on the cars, no biogs of the drivers. Out of an hour of programme there was about 12 minutes of racing.
No explanation as to why multiple WRC champion Sebastien Loeb was almost a minute behind. No analysis.
And Lewis Hamilton tub-thumping again.
Terrible Terrible Terrible 2011 130 Utility Body
2005 110 Van
Post #896021 5th Apr 2021 4:08pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
That's ITV for you. Was it a highlights show? The Beeb had a decent technical breakdown of rules and the cars. Everything from chassis construction and Williams made batteries down to tyres and even size of the brakes. 355mm BTW. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #896033 5th Apr 2021 5:45pm
Dave T

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Cairns Blue
Eurosport also explained the rules, but was more like strictly, if you are more popular you get a better start spot......it’s also racing, whilst maybe say you need same number of men and women overall, but you have to have one of each....is that not more demeaning? 2015 RRS Autobiography SDV6
1994 Def 90 300tdi
Post #896035 5th Apr 2021 5:56pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I don't see how equal billing could be demeaning but that question would be better answered by a woman. Personally I didn't notice as the women were all very competitive and from a British point of view it was great to see Munnings do so well. Not just in the race but bringing the car home on 3 wheels showed real skill. She was still carrying some serious speed. Also Chadwick made the switch from track look easy. Perhaps more so than Button, although I haven't seen their respective times.

Obviously it's early days but I think the series shows promise. The dust clouds on certain tracks will always be an issue. Perhaps wider gates could be a solution? As the weekend progresses and ruts get deeper a wider line with better visibility may provide an overtaking opportunity. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #896045 5th Apr 2021 6:43pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Some good questions asked in this piece:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/...ns-answers
Post #896597 8th Apr 2021 7:57am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Another chance to give it a go this weekend.

"The inaugural season of the innovative new Extreme E championship will take place this weekend – although not as organisers had originally planned.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The series for electric off-road SUVs was designed to promote sustainability by staging races in remote locations that had been impacted by climate change. After events in Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Greenland and Sardinia, the season was supposed to conclude in Ushuaia, the world’s most southernmost city, in Argentina. But due to the ongoing pandemic, it will instead conclude in Dorset on the south coast of England.

But while an event on the muddy tank-testing tracks of Bovington Camp near Poole might not seem that extreme, the unique nature of the event (grandly titled the Jurassic X Prix after the nearby Jurassic Coast) does create some interesting challenges for both teams and drivers.

While Extreme E events aren't open to spectators, this weekend’s action will be shown on ITV, Sky and the BBC’s digital channels."

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motorsp...-challenge

Click image to enlarge
Post #934003 17th Dec 2021 3:49pm
dorsetsmith

Might not seem that extreme Rolling with laughter the tank have been out and about last weeks I'm shore the site will then good run for there money
Post #934011 17th Dec 2021 4:29pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
An interesting thread for a new series and event well i was one of the few to attend the event as a marshal this week.

I've got to say we were well treated (marshals) and it was good to see how they set up and run the event.

the course was soft, wet and rough plus plenty of air time as im sure the videos show.

just a few pics to give a flour of the event i do have a few more

feel free to ask any questions about the set up.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #934462 20th Dec 2021 10:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12