↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Sub-woofer mounting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SteveK

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Rimini Red
Sub-woofer mounting
I've decided to go double DIN and also upgrade the speakers by adding a sub-woofer. The sub-woofer itself is slightly smaller than the end panel of the cubby box. However the mounting brackets increase the required width, which means either adding a wider panel to the rear of the cubby box or alternatively mounting the sub-woofer on the bulkhead.

I am erring towards fitting the sub-woofer on the bulkhead after lining the bulkhead with some carpet to reduce vibrations/rattling.

Any thoughts anyone?
Post #819372 12th Mar 2020 10:51pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Not sure if it helps but I made a little "cave" under the passenger seat and tucked a small Kenwood sub in there - remarkable how the sound fills the whole car... Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #819378 12th Mar 2020 11:38pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
The more solid mounting you have the better sound quality and bass you’ll get. The cubby box base isn’t ideal as it’s relatively thin and non structural but you cannot do much about that. Weight added to the cubby or heavy duty mountings is the only way foreword there. My system works due to sub weight and strengthened base, but even then ideally I’d have preferred it bolted to more solid structure. The bulkhead would be more acoustically pleasing and solid. I would consider 2mm Aluminium strip fashioned into brackets, which you could then use as secure mounting brackets. Or drill though the bulkhead and bolt though but you have to be careful if you have anything behind. 18mm ply or MDF would be a good substrate to mount onto but that would need securing in place first. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #819379 12th Mar 2020 11:56pm
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
I have a small Kenwood sub mounted on the lower part of the bulkhead, facing the rear of the cubby and it works perfectly. I still need to install some sound deadening on the panel to prevent vibration from loose items in the back when they touch it, in normal use it is great though. 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
1992 200Tdi 90 Truck cab with Land Cruiser axles
Post #819389 13th Mar 2020 7:03am
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Mine is mounted to the back of the cubby box just as you described. Yes slightly wider but not that noticeable. I put an auxiliary fuse box under the driver's seat with a switched power supply so only powered when ignition on. At the same time wired in a couple of auxiliary charging points for the kids ipads. I did think of fabricating a couple of brackets that are bolted to the cubby box base then run up the back of it to improve sound quality but to be fair it sounds great.
Post #819393 13th Mar 2020 8:18am
PCM

United Kingdom 
I’ve made new under seat bases and mounted 2 speakers there. Bought an Audison kit with a hertz amp.
Managed to fit the amp in the battery box.
Sounds amazing. For a defender anyway. Can 100% recommend it over a cubby box mounted sub.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #819462 13th Mar 2020 5:53pm
CharlieDonuts

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Galway Green
My truck's stereo is so ropey that listening to music makes me wince. So I am rather compelled to listen Nigel Farage on LBC on my commute home each evening. Some thing has gotta change !

So probably the next job is an audio up grade. I was going to go the Focus speaker route together with a subwoofer under the cubby box. I don't have much choice really as I don't have space beneath the seats or behind the cubby box. I only have a 90 and its rammed full of recovery gear. Seeing as any upgrade will be an improvement what can I do to make the best of a sub cubby box subwoofer installation? I have a spare inspection plate. Do I need to strengthen it ? or change how it is screwed in ? or is it the cubby box itself I need to do something with?

I don't need a mobile discotech, as much as I love good old Nigel, a bit of music would be good Whistle
Post #819570 14th Mar 2020 11:17am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Get one of these
https://www.mudstuff.co.uk/products/audio-...ocker.html
And put one of these in it
https://www.mudstuff.co.uk/products/audio-...oofer.html
And then fit these to the front
https://www.mudstuff.co.uk/products/audio-...r-kit.html
And these in the back
https://www.mudstuff.co.uk/products/audio-...eaker.html

The sound is great, nice and simple to do, they will also look after you price wise when buying all together

You can faff about and buy cheaper, but this is just easy, and good Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #819572 14th Mar 2020 11:38am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
custom90steve set me up with this little Kenwood SW (also covers some mid) years ago. It completely changes and massively improves the sound of the LR setup (really fat but refined bass), even though it's under the seat!

Click image to enlarge
 Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #819594 14th Mar 2020 1:07pm
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
I don’t have 90 but I’ve bolted mine to the bulkhead behind the second row seats (double cab) . Perhaps you could bolt yours to the bulkhead if you still have one !
The sound is radically improved. https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #819698 15th Mar 2020 6:44am
SteveK

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Rimini Red
ZeDefender wrote:
custom90steve set me up with this little Kenwood SW (also covers some mid) years ago. It completely changes and massively improves the sound of the LR setup (really fat but refined bass), even though it's under the seat!

Click image to enlarge

Thanks Ricky! I have a smal bulkhead left after fitting a Mud stuff removal bar and it is just high enough to fit the sub-woofer. I've cut a section of thick, dense ply to size and will cover it in carpet both sides before bolting it to the bulkhead.
Post #819817 15th Mar 2020 9:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1